An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Prevention is the best medicine

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Gelsemium, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

If it's not too late yet, I think that prevention is the best way to avoid addiction. How can we prevent a kid to get addicted to drugs? With proper guidance, with sports, with activities, if we just leave the child on it's own he/her finds it's own guidance and it just might lead to drugs.
    SamClemensMT likes this.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Greetings,
    Too Smart To Start has some really great information when it comes to teens and youth. I have provided the link at the end of this post. There are resources, tips, and even lesson plans, that can help with drug prevention.

I think the very first step should be to evaluate exactly where you stand on the subject. Parents that know where they stand, what the consequences are, if they can enforce those consequences, and are knowledgeable on the subject matter, have a greater chance at success when it comes to educating their children.

http://www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/Start.aspx
    Joseph and Gelsemium like this.
  3. Gelsemium

Thanks for your post and sharing your link. I agree with you, the first step should be to be aware of reality, to know where we stand and from there know what options do we have.
  4. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I totally agree with you Gelsemium. In my opinion, the problem nowadays is that children are not being taught the correct values in life, that's why they can be influenced easily. I know it's hard, but it can be done.
  5. Nick W.

I think that today, at least in my experience, people need to understand that their is a difference between "teaching" our kids about drugs & alcohol, and saying "don't drink". Kids, and teens in particular, like to question things. This isn't always because they are pushing back against authority, sometimes they genuinely do not understand, or need clarification. When I was growing up, "because I said so" was a common answer in my house, but the truth is, that's not an explanation, and even the most mild mannered teens are going to show some resistance to that kind of thinking.

One great resource for teens is media. I love to use movies, songs, and art, to convey a message. Rather than use my own voice, which sometimes gets ignored, I find things that a teen can relate to that convey the same message or values I am trying to get across. Teens are saturated with drugs, sex, crime, and everything else in the media, so to me it only makes sense to try and reach them that way as well as through the typical channels of communication.
  6. Gelsemium

The issue is that it's not that hard, we as parents must accompany closely our kids, help them to grow, guide them to the better choices and don't allow them to follow paths that are dead ends.
  7. Nick W.

Gelsemium,
    I agree, however, working in schools, and with parents of teens in crisis, I see more parents pass the blame on to anyone they can, rather than try to make change, and accept personal responsibility for their children's actions. You can't expect to "just say no" when you've give a kid nothing to work with, no knowledge as to why, and are not even supervising them. Right?
    Gelsemium likes this.
  8. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

As a parent, your key priority is to create a strong bond with your child as earliest as possible. However, most parents fail to do so when kids reach a certain age where they can start to make their own decisions. To prevent drug addiction, teach your child in his or her early years about the negative effects of drug abuse. Play an active role in his social life because this is what leads to most cases of drug abuse. If you are not aware of your child's social life, a lot could be going on behind the scenes.

Enroll your child in community groups that fight against drug abuse. If you engage in drinking, there may be a likelihood that your child may also take alcohol. Be a good role model to your child and take the necessary steps to ensure that preventative measures are taken to avoid any form of drug abuse.
  9. Gelsemium

I am a parent and I know what you mean, many parents want to pass on the responsibility, but that is not my case, I try to guide them the best I know so that they can guide themselves wisely when they are alone.
    Nick W. likes this.
  10. Nick W.

So true. I don't think you have to hover and be there at all times, kids can learn from mistakes, but the truth is, some mistakes are hard to rebound from, some have consequences that last a lifetime. When it comes to those things, I'd rather be controlling and be resented for awhile, than be "cool" and visit them in jail, or the hospital.
  11. jack21

jack21 Member

Education is the best prevention one could possibly implement. I believe that it makes no sense to try to hide these things from youngsters and children. It is best that everyone is well aware and informed about different substances and their effects on drug-takers.
  12. Gelsemium

Yep and I don't want to do that, but I want to occupy their free times with sports and other activities they enjoy so that they don't see drugs or something that might harm them.
    notodrugs likes this.
  13. Nick W.

Gelsemium, the statistics back that up. Kids that are involved in extracurricular activities are less likely to get involved in a number of "bad" things. We have a, not so strict rule, that my daughter has to pick two activities to do that do not involve her education. It serves both this purpose, and allows for an extra amount of exercise and activity as well.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Parent should first be a good role model. You can't talk tell a kid something is wrong when you for example, are a substance abuser. An alcoholic for example wouldn't be setting a good example for their children.

Talk to your kids about drugs. Be honest. Spill all the facts. By doing that you'll earn your kids trust especially when they start learning about drugs from other sources.

Most kids who start drinking, smoking weed, etc learn that from their friends. Since the time will come for them to be pressured to do something "bad", lay the proper, firm foundation [for character development]. From an early age teach your child to make "THE RIGHT CHOICE" all the time.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. It absolutely is the best way to ensure that the child doesn't grow up to be dependent on substances. In my opinion, communication is key. As long as the child gets the appropriate amount of affection and communication and he or she gets enough of a high from a good family life, then it will be less likely for them to depend so much on drug or alcohol highs when they get older. Plus, if they know that their parents are willing to talk to them about it instead of flat out just condemning it, then they won't have to rely on other external sources of information as much and therefore probably also peer pressure.
  16. Gelsemium

This is a great measure and actually the same happens with my kids, they both do swimming and football (soccer), so I think it's a good motivation for them, to embrace the good things of life.
  17. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Prevention is great, teaching children about the harmful effects is a must. How many of us as addicts had drug education growing up, and how much of it did it help for us. Taking drugs is a personal choice a child makes. I feel as parents it is our duty to recognize these signs and then go to work on putting an end to it. I am not downing prevention at all, but how much does it really work to tell a child "don't do this because it's bad," me personally it didn't help to much on preventing me. I know it sounds harsh, but so much of what we allow to influence our children we don't realize the effects of all this negative social media that's destroying them spiritually. Prevention is incorporating lots of love and being involved overtime. And my kids love me!!
  18. Nick W.

You know, it's funny Daniel, I had DARE and lots of different drug outreach things when I was a kid. The truth is, they mostly talked about cocaine and heroin use. NOBODY was talking about designer drugs, Special K, E, etc...

As I became a teenager, of course I knew that they were "bad" but had nothing else really to base that on, despite having went through a whole bunch of anti-drug stuff in health classes and school.
  19. Gelsemium

I recall when I was a teenager, I went out every single night with no guidance at all from my parents, so I just tried alcohol and drugs, luckily I never got addicted, by chance eventually.
  20. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

I think that parents should just spend enough quality time with their children and they shouldn't give the child large amount of money when he or she goes to a party. They should also pay close attention to their child and listen when he or she needs to talk.
    Nick W. likes this.