An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Prevention is the best medicine

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Gelsemium, Oct 7, 2014.

1. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

While in some cases you will not be able to prevent a child from experimenting with drugs -- talking to your children from an early age about the danger and consequences of drugs can really help in the prevention of addiction.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

This is a big truth, I recall when I was a kid I spent my holidays in the streets and these days how many kids can do that? Not many because the streets are way more dangerous.
  3. devastated1

devastated1 Member

Prevention is ineffective. (read my posts in "loving and addict" or "watching a slow death").
    Addicts and addiction can sneak into you life, like a roach from the neighbors house finds its way into your home through the tiniest crack or right through the front door in disguise. My daughter was homeschooled and near graduation from CC with her Associates in Education. She was taking Algebra II, which she put off til last because...UGH Math. She sat next to the addict, who was there by requirement of his rehab program. He was cute (only to her, I assure you) but played games on his phone during class and was failing, so she tutored him and fell in love. This is why I am here, now (also read: my advice to "people who have a loved on about to marry an addict").
    It, like DEATH and TAXES, will find you. It's too late for me, but if you DO find a way, please broadcast it LOUD and CLEAR.
    Dominica likes this.
  4. devastated1

devastated1 Member

"don't allow them to follow paths that are dead ends" OMG. Well, (read my original posts: Loving and addict and
    Watching a slow death) sometimes the best you can do is refuse to go down that path with them...let them find out for themselves. I am not mocking your advice at all, I could have said those words myself a few days ago. I honestly don't believe that there is much we can do to avoid the tragedy of addiction.
    Dominica likes this.