An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Prison or half way house

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Mari, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Mari

Mari Member

My brother was arrested for the 8th time for DUI. Already HTV for life and a felony record bc of all the arrests. This time the prosecutor said prison for 1 yr and his attorney said half way house. The judge said ok to the half way house. He was supposed to check in 3 weeks ago but failed his drug test. Last week same thing, this week same thing. Our judicial system is so messed up they said see you back in court in 2 mos. well an addict sees that as a 2 month free ride to use!!!! I guess my question is, is prison a better option
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It is believed that addicts who are sent to prison will find it harder to change but case studies have proved that addicts who undergo treatment while they are in prison [unlike those who voluntarily seek treatment] were more likely to beat their addictions. How that came to be I can't explain.

IMHO, sending an addict to prison [as long as they will get treatment whilst they are locked up] would be fine. Being locked up could give him some time to do some serious thinking and if he thought he couldn't do without alcohol he'll learn [the hard way] that he can live without alcohol.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have known many people who have messed up in halfway houses. They tend to think they can do what they want and they are fooling the system but they always get caught and then they are sent back to prison. In you brother's cause prison may have been a better choice. Now he may even get longer because he messed up in the halfway house.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I don't believe that folks that are drug abusers should be sent to prison. Unless they've committed a very violent crime such as murder or rape, it's preferable that they are sent to a halfway house. And they should only be sent to halfway houses that have a proven track record of properly aiding addicts. Generally, I think prison is a terrible place for most substance abusers and they often come out worse than before entering.
  5. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I always thought that halfway houses were for offenders who have proven themselves either by time already served in prison or successful treatment elsewhere as an inpatient with no other place to go.

Seeing that your brother hasn't harmed anyone and has just been arrested for substance abuse I can see why the courts have been lenient.

Let's pray that your brother seriously seeks treatment before something really bad happens to him.
  6. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

He very likely will get picked up on so,e drug charge in that two months, if he's using as heavily as it sounds. Prison may not be a bad option for him at all, as others have said, as long as he has to participate in drug treatment while he is there. In most prisons it's not as if they are locked in a cell all day. He will have options for education, rehab, and learning a vocation if he doesn't already have one.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Prison for addicts is sometime the only way at making a better future, asking as the rehabilitation program they get out on is effective.

Rehab in prison is a lot harsher and while that may sound like a bad thing, in the long term sometimes it's the only option.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Punishment or delays don't work. Rehabilitation is really the only way. Jail is not really a place for someone who has a drug addiction. The torture that someone endures being in jail and going through withdrawal is not right. What they did with your brother makes no sense whatsoever. Anyone who hears this it is just a lease to continue. Its almost like they want them to continue.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Personally, I think prison is not the place for addicts. I would much rather vote for rehabilitation facilities. But the thing is, your brother seems to not follow his therapy well. So prison will be a good option for him to strictly follow his treatment. If you can find a better halfway house or rehab facility, then do so. It will be a much better alternative than jail. I hope all goes well for your brother. Good luck and keep us posted!
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, I do think that your brother should have just opted for prison, that way he can be monitored and he won't have to be exposed to drugs as compared to being in a halfway house.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think prison would do any good to people who have substance abuse issues. Being jailed would never help them at all. I believe a rehabilitation center would be the best option for them.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think prison is the answer, but I do think there needs to be more emphasis on monitoring addicts when they okay things like halfway houses. I really feel like intensive around the clock rehab is a better option. With counselling, life advice, things like that. Prison is designed to keep dangerous people from society (like another commenter wrote, it would be one thing if something like rape/murder had occurred) but I think addicts are for the most part a danger to themselves first and foremost and that needs to be addressed with rehab if they have broken the law.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

While I don't agree with sending addicts to prison, it sounds like prison would be a better option for him in this case. I know someone who knew they wouldn't stop using so they sent themselves to prison. They told the judge they'd rather go to prison. Now they're clean and on a much better road in life. I am wishing the best for him. That's a hard situation to be dealing with.
  14. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Sometimes it is the harsh realities that help us to come to our senses. Just as how when a guy gets divorced that's when he realizes the value of his wife. Maybe your brother should've spent some time in jail.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Everyone is different when it comes to recovery. Furthermore, it sounds like maybe your brother has not had the wake up call needed to spark his want for recovery, despite all of the trouble he has already been in. He really needs to be on board for recovery in order for it to happen successfully. However, if he is putting other people's lives in danger, such as driving under the influence, than perhaps for his safety and the safety of others, he should be in prison. Maybe it will be the wake up call he needs in order to get on board with recovery.
  16. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

The difference between the half way house and jail, is that with the halfway house you are free and must comply with certain requirements. Both the jail and the halfway house offer opportunities to consume drugs though, because they are as equally available in both. His best option if he really wants to turn his life around is entering a rehab program.
  17. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Ive been to prison 5 times and it never stopped me from using. I came back out and used even more. Mari if your brother has never been incarcerated he is in for a rude awakening. So if you can talk some since into him, try and get him to go to the Half-way house clean. Once hes been to Prison theres no other deterrent except death. At least thats the way my life has gone. So hopefully he can get clean long enough to come to his senses and go to the Half-way house and avoid the nonsense of going to Prison.