An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Professional Massages? Yes, I know this is a little strange.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by frogsandlegos, Nov 1, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Does anyone use professional massages as part of their ongoing plan to stay clean/sober? And, yes, I am referring to massages by massage therapists who have been to school, have a clean and professional office, etc.

The last time I honestly got a message it was by a retired nurse who had decided to be massage therapist. To be honest she wasn't that good, but I didn't want some super creepy person.

Just my random question :) Thanks!!!!!
    januz101 and Joseph like this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

LOL We can do random :)
    A friend of mine is actually a massage therapist. I don't consider it a part of my "plan", but it definitely helps me relax. ...which is nice when things get crazy.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great question, frogsandlegos! I believe that massage has amazing health benefits to offer someone in recovery, and can be a great tool in your recovery toolbox. I personally use both massage and acupuncture as regular tools in my own recovery. Here is an interesting article that explores the neurochemistry of addiction and the impact of massage on the recovery process: http://www.integrativehealthcare.org/mt/archives/2005/05/massage_the_mis.html
    Jen S. likes this.
  4. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

I don't think this is a strange/weird question at all! I really think that massages and anything else that can put you in a deeply relaxed state of mind are the perfect way to combat an addiction. My current boyfriend is a massage therapist and he gives me a free massage almost every day that I have to work. It really helps me unwind from a long day and makes everything else that I have to deal with a whole lot easier. If your body is taken care of, it's a lot easier to take care of your mind.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Also, many people (myself included) use tobacco, alcohol or drugs to "relax", from either a stressful day, week or life. How much more relaxed can you be after a good body massage? :)

I think it could be a good substitute for an addiction. Or, well, at least part of the activities that you can do in order to recover. It's not like you're going to get a massage every time you feel like lighting up a cigarrette.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I don't think that this is a strange question. I think that having a massage therapist could help with staying sober or clean. Massages that I feel would help with this are hot stone massages, reflexology, and reiki. I really believe that reiki would be really beneficial because it is all about healing; emotionally, physically, spiritually, and mentally.
    Joseph likes this.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

A body massage is always good to relieve stress and bodily tensions, in my opinion. Truth is, you don't even have to go to a professional massage therapist to get a good massage, one can do self massage or my usual method, Reiki, but I also recommend trying professional and personal ways of massaging. The reason like to do Reiki over body massages is that, it's less energy consuming and effectively helps me especially after a night of excessive drinking beer or even when I am consuming ethanol drinks and my stomach starts acting up - people will be skeptical that putting one's hand over on one one's body is pseudo science, but I know from experience Reiki had helped me a lot to relieve and heal my body. Think about it, where does one's pain come from: one's own body - thus one's own hands can heal one's own body from ache, pains, stresses, tensions, etc.
    Joseph likes this.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I ink there is something to this theory. I myself tend to go for a smoke whenever I want to relax but on days when I get massages I find I smoke a lot less because my body feels so relaxed that I don't feel much need to get relaxation from my lungs. I haven't done this nearly enough times to be certain with the results but I think there's something there.
  9. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

Exactly. I know that it's been proven that people tend to smoke more when they're tense or stressed, so if a massage is alleviating some of the stress and tension then cigarettes would be farther in between...but then there's also the social part of smoking that happens when you go out with a large group of smokers and they start to head out to light up. It's hard to not go with them.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

There is health benefits when getting a massage. It relieves tension and gets the blood flowing again. It might not be in the big scheme of getting or staying sober, but it doesn't hurt to get on every now and then, or even daily. Any activity that is positive and keeps you away from relapse is a good thing.