An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Prometa????

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by IrishHeather, May 6, 2015.

1. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

The article is from 2008, so it's nearly seven years old. Since the injection isn't commonplace now, then I highly doubt that it was ever put past the trial and testing phases. So its success rate doesn't matter if nobody's receiving it. I'm assuming something went wrong during trials, so they had to scrap the project. Or they can't get FDA approval, or dozens of other things could have gone wrong.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Oh that's good to know! This was brought up in a discussion today with my coworkers and I, when I was looking for information on this topic that most likely the reason I could not find much information on this drug. LOL, ya think I would have looked at the date of the article, thanks for the input. :oops:
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

If I were you, I would still go to my doctor or a de-addiction center and seek their advice. I wouldn't believe a drug that is touted big on a freakish article. Secondly, AFKATafcar pointed out, it's a very old drug and the efficacy of the drug may not have been clinically proven. It's best advised to stay away from it.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I have never heard of this treatment, so I don't think anything came of it. Since this is another drug, there are going to be side effects, and possibly some very serious ones. People who have been addicted to highly damaging substances may not be able to handle another substance that has to go though their liver. In some cases addiction may be so strong it is worth trying even risky methods to try to break it, but I don't think that is a good option for that many people. I think most addicts would do better to go on a detox diet after the initial detox phase to help continue to clean out the toxins and recover their health.
  6. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I have heard of a program used to help those who are addicted avoid injecting themselves and there is a drug that they inject into aids patients but not too sure about this, I will ask the doctors.