An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

PROOF

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Jasper17, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Jasper17

Jasper17 Member

Hi all,
    I haven't been on for awhile but finally got my son to admit he has been using Meth since July 2017. I don't know which way to turn anymore and driving myself crazy. I fear the knock on the door or the middle of night phone call saying he overdosed. He is doing Meth minimum of 8 times a day among other things. He shakes and is so skinny and his face is sunk in he looks like a skeleton. We had him convinced to call for help but when the time came he chickened out and is now suppose to do this tomorrow evening. He has no friends left except his providers and a person who he calls a girlfriend that was picked up in June 2017 for Meth but charges were dropped and only used in sentencing because she also had paraphernalia on her when stopped. He has all kinds of excuses but does admit being scared of withdrawal and I understand that but how do I convince him to get help before I end of burying him? Please any words, suggestions, hints, tips would be greatly appreciated. He is only 33 and has a lot of life to live. So saddened and heartbroken :( Thanks for listening to me whine but I think at this point I need more help than him.

Thanks Lisa
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Jasper17 i'm so sorry you are going through this. it can be so challenging to have a loved one struggling with addiction. it's true that the loved ones need help too, and sometimes it can be worse off for them emotionally for sure.... as a parent of an adult child, i understand the worry...and concern... we can love them where they are at, but we can't fix them. can't control them, or cure them.

how is he doing today? has he reached out for help? is he willing to go to treatment? 12 Step groups? Counselor?

My heart goes out to you... Let me know how things are going.

There is an online video support group... check it out.

https://www.intherooms.com/livemeetings/view?meeting_id=43
  3. Jasper17

Jasper17 Member

Hi Dominica no luck yet, he is scared and mixed in with the Asian culture which we believe has threatened him if he leaves or worse. He wants help but him being scared is holding him back. I am working with Zack to try and get him the help he needs and may be inching closer and closer but not fast enough, I fear he will be dead in 3-6 months if we don't do something NOW.
  4. Dominica

@Jasper17 i am believing for the best for you and your son.... praying for safety and deliverance from addiction... here if you need.
  5. robynx125

robynx125 Member

@Jasper17 Any addict will tell you that their number one reason for not wanting to get clean is due to their fear of getting sick from the withdrawals. My partner has been battling a heroin addiction for four years and it has taken that long to convince her to get help. She is currently in an intensive inpatient program and thriving.

My advice for you is that he realistically has two options. He will end up in jail, where he will suffer from withdrawal in extremely uncomfortable circumstances, or - he can go into a detox program (ten days) and I can assure you that detoxing in a program is a much better alternative. They give addicts "comfort meds" (non controlled substances to help with pain and sleep) so they do not experience the intensity of withdrawal symptoms. Many addicts believe that detoxing in a program is going to be physically painful, but my partner has expressed her gratitude for choosing rehab because the detox was relatively painless compared to what she thought it would be.

If he is in trouble with people related to his addiction, rehab will be the safest place for him. I hope this was helpful. Just encourage him not to be afraid of withdrawal (because it wont be as bad as he thinks) and give him hope that he can get better and find comfort in others in the program who can relate to him and support his recovery. Good luck!
  6. Dominica

@robynx125 so glad your gf is in treatment...and it's going well for her! i agree rehab is much better place than jail... @Jasper17 is your son willing to go into treatment?
    True concern likes this.
  7. robynx125

robynx125 Member

Thank you. One can only hope that she will stay consistent this time!
    Dominica likes this.
  8. True concern

True concern Moderator

@Jasper17 i was addicted to meth for many many year's and im going to tell you how detox from meth work's.First expect angry outburst and hateful thing's to be said,this comes from an extreme lack of sleep,second after use is done you do infact have muscle cramps,extreme pain literally everywhere most think it's because it is a physical addiction withdrawal symptom and this is NOT true your body hurts because of extreme muscle loss and constant nonstop activity while the meth addict stays awake so yes your joints,muscles,everything hurts the body is at a weakened state ,the mental detox is real it takes your mind 2-6 month's depending on how much and how long you have used.Basically it's called coming down.Sleep,eat,restroom,repeat.It literally means exactly that and i have seen people do this for up to 2 week's,allow it to happen don't wake the person after a few day's of sleep.When the body gets the correct amount of sleep they will wake up again usually a solid 7 day's for a body to heal and rest.After this don't force employment right away the individual will still mostly eat and sleep for 6 week's or so until the muscle tone starts to come back.Beyond that it is will power to say no and definitely support groups like N/A and counseling are key as well but all thing's considered it is the easiest one to recover from and in no way am i suggesting it's easy it is not but it is by far less of a torturous detox than any other.Stay Strong and God Bless you All