An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Prozac

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by tasha, May 11, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes this sounds crazy but the anti depressant is also among the drugs used by some of my patients and it starts off with wanting to feel better. The state that Prozac leaves in can have a bad effect on even those who need to take it for depression and doctors should advise their patients to end the medication once they see signs of light coming through. This medication can be addictive and for many of the people that I have listened to doesn't help them feel better it gives them dark thoughts. I have stopped the medication for a few of the patients and they are now on a program - rehab but with any form of medication, you need to assess how long you have been on it and you need a doctor that can finally say you don't need these anymore! Life is for living and to be stuck in a dark place because medication puts you there is no way to deal with problems.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know a few people in my family, who would get addicted to this, and would wander why they doing this and did see the side affects like negative feelings and also some thought someone was trying to get them and also had to stop taking it. Using this for a good time or, trying to use it to get high is not good and also the person can have negative thoughts in the brain and even try and think they are supreme over others and get excited at times. When the medicine is causing negative thoughts or, causes changes than a person needs to stop taking it and also use their life real well.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This stuff is a bad one. I'm pretty sure its not even worth trying to wait for the side effects. Sorry but this is a really lazy way to feel better.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If any thing causes depression or suicidal thoughts it shouldn't be prescribed. I think nothing is worth the risk of having your mind altered that way. Side effects are really just more problems, that a person doesn't need when looking for help. It's really good that you stopped this. There has to be safer alternatives.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard of nothing but bad stuff when it comes to Prozac. It already feels horrible to go through something like depression. Then on top of it you have to deal with the bad side effects of Prozac? Do people take more pills just to counter the effect of Prozac? Life is better without these so called drugs doing more harm than good.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never trusted anti-depressant or any other kind of mood-altering drugs. It just make one not be themselves anymore, it forcefully changes the their way of being and turns them into different people. Of all things you can lose in this world, losing your personality is the worst. There are many other ways of making yourself feel better.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am so surprised to hear that this drug is still be prescribed to people when all you hear about are all the negative effects of it. I have never heard any good things about it. Anti-depressant or any mood-altering drug can be very scary and dangerous to use.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Better if they will try first natural ways to deal with depression. Like joining groups or having activities that are lively or can bring hope just like volunteering. Also counseling or meditation instead of immediately taking those pills.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was on it for a while, and to be honest I didn't feel that great at all... not enough like for wanting to continue using it at all. But I guess we are all different and we will have different reactions to certain medications. Sadly I do know someone who is addicted to this medication, it all started because he wanted to feel well (he lost his gf). He got the help he needed but ended up losing other things.