An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Psychological addiction

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Physical detox is a really hard and painful process, but it only lasts a couple of days, while psychological addiction is something that lasts the rest of our life. How should an addict keep motivated not to return to the drugs/alcohol?
    monsterific and Joseph like this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi Peninha,
    The key for me was to understand, accept and continue working on the underlying issues I had that caused me to abuse drugs from the beginning. Early in recovery I was motivated by pain (both pain that I caused and experienced in active addiction). Today I have a better handle of those underlying issues. It took A TON of work, but I've learned to cope with them thanks to the help of support networks and counseling. Today I'm motivated by what basically feels like common sense. My life is no longer chaotic, painful or dangerous. Had someone told me in early recovery I would ever respond to "do you want heroin?" with a "NOOO - that doesn't even make sense" I would have laughed in their face and probably told them they didn't understand how addicted I was to it. Just hang in there. It is the most cliche saying ever, but try to take things one day at a time. :)
    CpXi7z1 and Joseph like this.
  3. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

I wish I could say it does end someday, but I think addiction will always be a part of me. I don't trust myself as much as I did before getting addicted, because I feel like I'm always just one step away from the edge, no matter how long I go sober.

I just try to remember what and who I'm doing it for. I'm doing it for my family, my closest friends, and myself most of all. It's a constant battle, but every day I remember what it would cost if I lose. That keeps me going. :) Like Jen said, one day at a time. Every day sober is a win. :)
  4. RakeMind4

RakeMind4 Active Contributor

Psychological addiction is a wild fucking ride, isn't it?

Like Bunny mentioned, that loss of self trust is really a heartbreaker. In my opinion, one of the very hardest things to have to live through in this world (minus, I suppose, torture and starvation and other, third world problems). Because it's completely about self; it's like once you've fallen into that pit, nobody can help you, at all. You're completely on your own, and that "you" / is already completely at odds with itself. It's like a total split personality thing that goes on, and each personality has already betrayed the other one so many times... how is the individual ever supposed to repair that relationship? But repair it we must, because if we can be whole with ourselves, then the rest of this life is going to be a "war" between those personalities.

I guess the decision at the heart of this, that the individual must make, is to decide that they want to give that 'wholeness' or self trust to themselves. But then, this 'self,' which would be who receives that solution of 'making peace with oneself,' or 'ending the petty fight between the personalities,' is something that we have no conception of, because we already believe that we are whichever of the personalities is active at the time.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I would say that psychological addiction sticks with you forever. Sometimes, the pain of getting through the physical detox process is enough to scare some people off their addictions for good. However, the majority of people still have to fight their mind for the rest of their lives, and physical pain is easily forgotten in some cases. It's tough to deal with.
  6. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

It's the mentality of it. Take alcohol for example. Once you're past the actual addiction, you're bombarded daily by constant reminders of it through television ads and culture in general. It's literally everywhere.

I can't stop for gas without passing a hundred bottles of possible relapse.
  7. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes I agree, it lasts a lifetime and you need to get to the source of what made you do it in the first place. Confront your fears and confront the cause, getting to the root of the problem. Once you can do that then you have a chance at letting it go. Find something to change your life and start over. Move away from where you started and begin a new life, find new hobbies and work towards a goal. It also helps to know that you have the support of family and friends that will help you when you are experiencing a bad day so that they can uplift your spirits and take you out of the dark place which you will sometimes find yourself in.
  8. Peninha

I read quite a bit on the topic and most literature mentions to move to a new city, find a new circle of friends and in fact that is the best option, to cut with the old life and start something new away from drugs.
  9. Lackluster

Honestly, that's just not feasible for most people who find themselves in this kind of situation. Most of the alcoholics I knew were like me - working class folk who actually had two nickels to rub together, but owed one to the bank.

Moving is more than a notion. You have to have money saved to be able to get an apartment where you're moving to, if you're moving out of state, and finding a job anywhere right now is a pain. Assuming you do have somewhere to live and manage to get a job, you'll need friends.

An alcoholic's first thought is, I'll go to a bar and meet some kindred souls. Crap, wait, that's what I'm trying to break away from. So you make a couple friends at work. "Hey, Lack, you want to go to the bar tonight and watch the Killers play the Losers tonight?"
  10. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

This is why I think it's important to get treatment in both for both kinds. It's important to address all the areas of concern, so that you can get a well rounded sense of self, and where you are in your addiction and recovery.
  11. Lackluster

The real problem is generalization. Too many people like to jump onto the bandwagon that users are the problem itself. If people considered debt and obligation remotely the same, the addict community would quadruple.

You can have a psychological addiction to shopping. And you can have a physical dependance on money. But unlike alcohol, those have 'normal' stereotypes attached to them. It's not always as easy as calling a person an addict. An addict has to battle through stereotypes, then expectations, and after that fight on long after they should rest.

We hold reformed addicts to the greatest standards. The former addict is the easiest to fall, but if they then society gangs up against them.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I guess that is why despite completing the detoxification process, the person should still visit the therapist or undergo psychological rehab to ensure better living conditions. The presence of family members and loved ones in general is also a must because a sturdy support system will help the afflicted person overcome the backlash of a no-drug lifestyle.
  13. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Member

Psychological addiction is something that you are going to have to really want to get rid of. Start reading up on different methods to cure yourself and see what works best for you. The most important thing in getting rid of psychological addiction is motivation and learning what makes you happy and uninterested in doing drugs or alcohol again.
    catherine_sky likes this.
  14. My friend has recently given up drugs and he has found that working out is his new addiction. Whenever he feels like doing drugs he hits the gym or goes on a run. Many previous drug addicts have just found a new hobby or habit to occupy their time. I myself find that reading books is calming, especially ones by Ellen Hopkins or Stephen King.
  15. Peninha

That's a great solution from him mindz, it's necessary to replace the addiction with exercise for example, I really feel it's the best thing we can do.
  16. La.oui

La.oui Member

Motivation and self-control are key players in managing an addiction. I think what's important is accepting that this is a problem you have to keep tabs on for the rest of your life. Yes, you get over your urges but you still have to be aware of your triggers. It's a lifetime healing process so having the ability to be mindful of yourself and constantly reflection is needed.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is a good idea if you have the means to do it. You must find a support group in the area that you move to or have a support system that you can call when you feel low. A move is a great idea for a fresh start, just avoid feeling lonely and make sure that you have people that you can rely on when you are feeling down. Exercise, the food we eat and even a new job can make you move forward. You deserve a fresh start and new beginnings for an uplifting life after such a dark time. Let some sunshine into your world now and this starts with moving away from the dark reminders
  18. Peninha

Yes, I am not saying that anyone can do it, but if it's a life and death situation I think we just should leave everything and go try our luck elsewhere, considering we are already clean.
  19. Peninha

I agree, I feel that we need to find things to do that keep us motivated and that at the same time give us the self control we need to stay away from the addiction.
  20. La.oui

La.oui Member

Right, I think it would also help if you actively find ways to pull you from it and not just wait for things to blow over.