An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Psychological addiction

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

Video games are a good release for me. I typically play some very involved games like Fallout, Skyrim, or Borderlands. You're too focused on getting a good drop from Terramorphus or The Warrior to worry about finding any booze.
  2. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is true, it is something that you will have to work on for the rest of your life. Moving and starting fresh will give you the boost and freedom to begin a new life but at the end of it all, you do need to have something else to occupy your time and it should be something that you will have fun doing as well as getting peace through doing it too.
    Nick W. likes this.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. The psychological aspect is really one of the bigger hurdles when trying to get over your addictions. I think the best way to combat it is to just keep busy with more productive things and to surround yourself with positive people. If you keep working then you wouldn't have time to be bored and think about the distractions, and also if you are around good people then that provides for a whole lot of support that can prove to be very beneficial.
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Sure, we need to actively stay away from the addiction, if we do nothing our thoughts will go back there, so one days at a time, step by step... ;)
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This could also be helpful:

Find something else to distract you can help one overcome a psychological addiction. Video games have been mentioned above but virtually any other activity that takes your mind off thinking about getting a "fix" will also in the short term, keep you from slipping back to abusing a substance again.

p.s Exercise more.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. MrMegistus

MrMegistus Member

OMG! I can so relate to this. It's like you change after becoming addicted to something. It depends on how deep the addiction is and what the drug of choice is, but I never felt like I was the same person when I began putting all of my eggs into one basket (smoking)... when it comes to the subject of addiction, I believe it is mostly psychological. I felt secure in smoking more so than I felt relaxation or happiness after smoking. This thread really struck a chord with me!
    Nick W. likes this.
  7. amj52036

amj52036 Member

I have not personally had to experience withdrawal/ psychological symptoms, but I have come in conctact with it. For example, my grandmother smokes cigarettes. She actually attempted to quit and was doing pretty well at it; however, I believe that psychologically, she was very irritated and agitated and eventually went back to doing it. She is getting better at controlling her irritation ever since she began coming to church every Sunday and actually enjoying it. I believe that psychological addiction is something that can be cured if a person finds something that interests them in helping them overcome the addiction. It obviously does not have to necessarily deal with religion, but it could be a helpful and effective option.
  8. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I play billiards or exercise when I am depressed, rather than turning to any abusive substances and it does help. Sometimes I even party yet I have non alcoholic beverages and even if I do, I limit myself- 1 Heineken for the entire night or one glass of wine.
    Nick W. likes this.
  9. sarahxalex

sarahxalex Member

Psychological detox is a really hard challenge to overcome but it isn't impossible, you have to really want it gone in order to work hard on it. Understand first what the main problem is, and I don't mean what your addiction is, I mean what is holding you back, what is making you go back to square one and making this detox harder than it already is?! The next step is finding your support system, whether it is a friend, a parent, or even a support group. You're going to need someone to go on this crazy ride with you and let you know that you aren't alone and you can overcome the situation. Lastly, surround yourself in a healthy and happy environment, do things that make you happy, start participating in activities, book groups, anything that interest you do it. If you're keeping busy with things that you love then your mind will be less on your addiction and soon, day by day, you will see you don't need it in your life and you can make it.
  10. bluekknd2

bluekknd2 Member

You need to fill the void with other activities.
  11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I think one of the good take aways - if there is such a thing - from getting over a drug addiction, is that you simply become more aware of yourself and your emotional highs and lows, and what is triggering them.

I've been aware since my teens that I am naturally depressed in general - but I never realized how low things could go until I started doing cocaine regularly and really bottomed out after long nights of going through anywhere from half to almost an entire eight ball by myself.

When I did start to clean up, at least I could say to myself, no matter how ho-hum I may feel today at least it's nothing like how bad I felt when I was crashing off of coke. It would literally take me 2-3 days to "snap out of it" and even remotely get back to normal, and at least two solid weeks before I really felt normal again after binging on it. I can rationalize better now that I was really just paying for the "privilege" to feel like crap for the next week or two.
    Nick W. likes this.
  12. diecarmona

diecarmona Member

Exactly! The only way to get your mind off drugs is actually going out and gettin your mind ON something else. Be that work, a hobby, exercise. It works, it's been proven, you just have to try it.

I will agree with OP in that physical addiction is the easy part to get rid off. It isn't you body playing tricks on you so you get back on drugs, it's your mind. Your body can probably take the withrawal punishment, it's your mind that doesn't want it to.
  13. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think a big things is truly coming to understand that the results of the addiction are not worth the attraction of it. It's one thing to understand this in the intellectual sense, it's another to really fully believe it to the point that this understanding is much stronger than the pull of the addiction. That is never an easy thing, and perhaps the hardest part of recovering from addiction.
  14. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

Unfortunately, the cure-all solution many people have for addiction is to wake up one day and be a new person, with new views, in a new town. It will never be that. Thy psychosis one goes through as a rsult of addiction is a powerful negative energy. It takes so much more than waking up a new you to combat the affects of addiction in our minds.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I would agree that psychological addiction is hard to battle and could be for a lifetime. Specially if there are temptations around and there are some who are trying to urge you from going back to the old bad vice. Better to always find reasons and ways to remain motivated.
  16. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

There is always a psychological reason as to why people do drugs or drink alcohol. Some of the common reasons are stress, anger, or depression. This is when it becomes a psychological addiction because people believe that when they feel these types of emotions, they have to run to drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with it. What I think people can do to break psychological addictions to drugs and alcohol is try doing something different. Instead of running to your favorite drug or alcohol, substitute it with your favorite hobby. Just like people think that drugs and alcohol can make them feel better when dealing with negative emotions, doing their favorite hobbies can actually make them feel better and it is healthy. This will not be easy to do especially if you have an addiction but with practice it can be done.
  17. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

honestly what helped me the most was getting a job and getting back into my old hobbies. when i was bored out of my mind i would turn to drugs to help me create a false sense of reality. i needed to be intoxicated or i couldn't enjoy myself. the urge to keep messing with drugs passed over time as i got more and more into my job.
  18. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I feel like a complete idiot I have not had any experiences with addiction. Meanwhile everyone around here has something to talk about. I could recall someone in my speech class who had shared her experience with sex addiction and I was surprised she did not look like the person who would have a addiction.
    Jen S. likes this.
  19. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Different things work for different people. Depending on how deeply rooted the addiction is, and how long one has been addicted are both factors in how one stays clean. It also depends on a person's personality as well, different people react differently to being clean and sober than others do. I know people who have smoked crack for years who have managed to quit and stay clean consistently for years. Others have quit but go back to using, then quit again, then use again.

I think the main key is that one has to really want to stay clean and sober, because it can be a real fight to stay that way, but it can be done. One has to commit themselves to the work that goes in to the whole getting clean process.

One has to be diligent daily. I also think that one has to find something that they are passionate about and throw their energy into that instead of into drug use.
    I know someone who was unemployed, depressed and used drugs and alcohol for years. When they were able to get a decent job, they were motivated to stay clean because they liked their new employed lifestyle.
    On the other hand, I know people who keep a job in order to support their habit. Depends on the person. A person has to find and search out what works for them.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  20. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Psychological addiction I believe it's the main source of all addictions as they are, most of them, helping you to get mentally through the week, not physically. You should try learn about NLP (neuro-lingvistic-programing), that might help you a lot with psychological addictions.