An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Psychological addiction

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I hear this a lot. Sometimes when I share my experiences with people they get a really funny look on their face. "You don't look/act/talk like a drug addict". My response is usually something like "Well, I don't do drugs anymore. What would you expect me to look or sound like anyway?" :) Addiction doesn't discriminate.
    stariie likes this.
  2. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

This is indeed very common. Actually it's quite stupid. People tend to say: ‘You don’t look like someone who would be addicted or even worse, "mental". I wasn’t aware someone with a mental health problem had to have a certain appearance, would be my response.
    Jen S. likes this.
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Sometimes you do not even have to look like someone who is a drug user. You can be a average looking person and have a addiction. You cannot be flawless at all. I think that most people who have his or her addiction can always fool you as far as the appearance is concerned.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Well, I would certainly hope so. Otherwise it'd be like walking around with "JUNKIE" tattooed on my forehead years later. Not a good look LOL
  5. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

It is usually a good idea to separate yourself from friends and places that bring temptation.

Another important thing is to forgive yourself. We worry about others forgiving us, but we also have to forgive ourselves for our mistakes/sins if we want to move forward.
  6. powerfulmind

powerfulmind Member

I have not drunk alcohol for almost a year (348 days) but I still feel the urge to have a drink. I go to parties with my friends and feel the urge to drink. I meet my friends at their homes on weekends and I have the urge to drink. I have tried very hard to forget about it and I wish I could say it gets easier for me but I have to test my will power each time I'm in a drinking type situation.
    Jen S. likes this.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey @powerfulmind
    Congratulations on almost a year of sobriety! That's awesome. It sounds like you're still dealing with a lot of urges, though. Did you just put the alcohol down.... but continue to live your life the same way otherwise?
  8. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I don't know if people do care about forgiveness, maybe in the case if they did something wrong and I am sure they did, so this might be a good point that you raise.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, you can find a hobby, that takes your mind away from the thoughts of being addicted to a drug. So, instead being addicted to a toxic substance, you could be addicted to something you like and enjoy doing. I know, many of you could say that it's not that easy to do this, but it really worked for me. And a try doesn't hurt anyone!
    Peninha likes this.
  10. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

You have to be careful of substituting one addiction for another. That is why a lot of smokers gain weight when they quit. They substitute one addiction (smoking, oral fixation) for another (food).
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I wasn't talking about food addiction. I was talking about doing something you love, that won't harm you. But I wasn't precise enough, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
  12. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

LOL I understood. What people don't realize is that there is no such thing as a GOOD addiction and you can become addicted to anything. Every addiction has its price and effects on a persons life. For instance, exercise... there are people who are addicted to exercise and you would think that is a good addiction, but to much exercise can hurt you even worse than not enough. Drinking water, if you drink to much water it is as deadly as not getting enough... but there are people who (strangely enough) are addicted to it. What I am saying is that what ever you are planning to use as a substitute to aid you in recovery, you should have someone do it with you to monitor you and make for sure that you don't over do it or develop a new addiction.
  13. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

I think psychological dependence is the bigger problem for me. I mean, physical withdrawal is tough and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it's the psychological part that often makes one slip up and relapse. And the thing is we are also wired to seek rewards, and for a lot of us, rewards come in the for of drugs/alcohol/nicotine. I guess we just have to find other rewards, once that aren't destructive.
  14. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I would say that they keep off from anyone or anything that could influence them to get back on drugs and to keep thinking of all the side effects of theis drugs, that is what I would do.
  15. Peninha

Yep, that's the best, Step one, get physically clean, step two, break with old habits, get away from old friends, start a new life and don't look back.
  16. Peninha

It's not easy true, but it's a start and I feel that all of us have done something similar, basically we replace something bad for something better, it works.
  17. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I hope people know psyche is like the intangible mirror of one's body and the physical impressions it has experienced. For example, if one were to touch a candle flame with one's index finger, that will be impressed into your body first, relayed to your brain, and then processed as a memory, which then turns into what one would call one's psyche. From nothing, to a thing, and to something that is turned into everything, is what I term of this happening or phenomenon.

Psychology is a highly misunderstood term: it is the study of the soul [psyche], whether that studying and learning stays with one for the rest of their lives, that's up to one to assume or not. And, psychology, can and cannot be a addiction, but once more, that's up to one to decide.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I had a very simple strategy during the recovery from my alcohol addiction, which was to extend my working hours and focus my energy into new studies and interest fields. If you are looking for distractions, it's important that those distractions are productive and enjoyable. For me the feeling of reaching ever new heights while developing my talents, curbed my self-esteem and motivation to stay sober. Naturally, it took a lot more work than just burying myself in a new job. But it definitely helped me to gain more clarity.
  19. Lexi

Lexi Member

I have to say that you should not look for "motivation". People always want to "stay motivated". The thing about motivation is, it tends to find you on it's own, randomly. Discipline on the other hand is in your full control. Being disciplined has everything to do with the actions you make moment to moment. Be disciplined and do what is needed to be done and then when motivation comes your way, it will be an even bigger boost.

You cannot force motivation. You can force discipline on yourself and push through all the pain and hard times.

No great success comes without discipline.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  20. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I agree with your arguments, but at first you need motivation even if it not lasts, it's the thing that gives you a kick-start. There needs to be something you can rely on later on your road. Don't tell me you've been only disciplined at first cause I won't buy it, even if you think so, you still imagined how it would be to get clean, and in your subconscious that motivated you.