An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Psychological addiction

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

The best motivation is when we hit rock bottom, at that time we see that we need to change. At that point can be of great help someone that gives us a hand and some directions to start with.
  2. Lexi

Lexi Member

You do not "need" motivation. You need a "reason". My "reason" was the future I wanted for myself. I pictured my future family and how I want to make sure that they are in a successful situation once that time comes.

You can say that this was motivation but, to me it wasn't. The reason I say it wasn't was because I found myself not wanting to do certain things and after realizing that my own thoughts were all going against the goal I had, I began to focus on thinking differently. I did not start out by doing anything. I wanted to make changes and was not putting too much effort into doing so. The first week or two was a slow process and then one day I came to the conclusion that I am not going to move forward if I have the same mindset as before. That mindset led me to where I was, I needed to change it.

I forcefully changed my mindset by doing things that I really did not enjoy doing at the time. It was discipline that I knew would be the difference. I told myself "you don't want this as much as you say, you are still a loser.. quit making excuses and just do what you need to do". I turned into a crazy person in a way. I would tell myself "almost everyone would be lazy in this situation, do you want to be like everyone else or do you want to make big changes and change your future in a big way?".

Motivation was and still is something that I do NOT focus on. If I want something, I go for it and let discipline be the way of accomplishing my goals. I don't WAIT AROUND for motivation. Wasting time means wasting opportunity.

If I waited for motivation, I may not have even broken my addiction. Motivation is an excuse more times then not. Even when it finds you, it does not last long. What happens when you are motivated and then that motivation disappears? If you are not disciplined, you fail. (you quit)
  3. januz101

januz101 Member

I did a few jobs back then at a rehabilitation center and a good way to make an addict reform theirselves is to engage them into sports and physical fitness. A change of scenery is also important so as not make them come in contact with their former friends who are bad influence.
  4. Peninha

A motivation, a reason, for me it's just words. We need to find that reason, like you say in your case it was your future and the family you wanted. We just need something to grab and make us believe.
  5. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

Surrounding yourself around successful clean people will motivate many people to stay clean. The company you keep play a key roll in staying sober. Sometimes it can be hard to find the right people in your life, but when you do hold on tight and they will help to pull you up. Also having a spiritual foundation will help. Staying very active is another good way to stay off drugs. "an idle mind is the devils workshop".
  6. Kamarsun1

That's right, if we believe we can achieve! Also having just one other person to believe in you helps, but in the end you have to believe in yourself. It's mind over matter.
  7. Kamarsun1

That's true, you have to find something to replace your addiction that is beneficial to your well being. Some people learn to play an instrument, or take up a trade, something where your working with your hands.
  8. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

What keeps my brother-in-law motivated is his job. Before he got accepted, he got himself clean first and to stay in the job, he has to stay away from meth. And he did and is still keeping himself clean until now. So it's his love for his job that did it for him. I guess it gives him self-worth and dignity.

My uncle started alcohol reduction and has successfully kept it at that when he started a small business that he enjoys doing. His grandchildren also motivate him to stay sober otherwise they will either hate or fear him just like what happened between him and his kids. Then he has engaged himself in a physical exercise routine that makes him fit. He's probably in his mid to late 70's. So there, he's kept himself busy with activities he enjoys.
  9. Peninha

This is something very important, someone that can give us the hand because let's face it, when we are addicted we are not on the top of our game...
  10. Peninha

If we have family, especially kids, we do need to have a job notodrugs and that is the best motivation. I can't imagine anything worse than losing our kids or being unable to look for them.
  11. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I think the worst thing anyone can do is tell someone who is recovering that "its all in your head, your system is clean now..so its not physical its in your head" because the psychological aspect of addiction seems to last way longer and be much harder to overcome. obviously the root is still a longing to and desire to overcome it, so that a person will seek resources and have a game plan in place to get through the psychological aspect of their addiction.
  12. Peninha

One fact is that is the truth Teresa, it's all in the head once the body is clean, but the other facts is that the head is the harder part because it will accompany us for the rest of our lives.
  13. notodrugs

True Peninha. In fact, my uncle was able to stay sober during the day on weekdays for his job. But on Fridays and weekends, he was a slob. Sorry for the term but he was really a mess. I read somewhere in this thread about staying sober for selective reasons. And that's one of them.

However, it's a pity and shame for some people who cannot be motivated even by their own kids and their family's needs. It's the children who suffer and the pattern of addiction goes on. It's a sad reality. :-(
  14. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I had a problem with abuse of alcohol many years back. When things did not go right, I wanted a drink. I made a decision that no matter how things got I would not reach for that bottle. I guess the only way an addict can remain motivated is to remember how horrible things can get when they return to the vice.
  15. Peninha

Exactly the same happened to my uncle, it's like we have a devil inside that knows when we can surrender ourselves to the addiction, but why can't we be always strong?
  16. notodrugs

It is human nature, to be weak and to give in to temptations. However, well, there are people who are so disciplined enough to control themselves. But I think they are the exemptions to the human race? Or they have weaknesses for other things.

Just my 2-cents' thoughts on how we are. Not to mention genetic mutations which I read make some more prone to addiction than the others; succumbing to it is somehow dependent on our family dynamics and coping abilities. Some can cope better than the others. My uncle was burdened with earning for his family because he was the sole breadwinner. He has lots of regrets with his career which he tried to pass on to his kids but they were not interested. So that was how he coped then. We were just so happy he lessened the alcohol intake when all my cousins graduated from school. He is more relaxed and contented now.
  17. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

My heart goes out to anyone who has an addiction and constantly battles with it. It is something that takes control of you. If only you are able to take control and not allow anything to control you. I know how difficult this is, but it can be done. Although many fail to succeed, there are also many that succeed.
  18. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Addiction is in itself a mental illness -- and sobriety is something that you don't just achieve you have to strive to attain it and maintain it every single day for the rest of your life. There are no easy tricks to keeping yourself out of trouble nor will the path be the same for every addict. You have to find what works best for you.
  19. The single most effective step I took in my sobriety was completely cutting all contact from my group of friends that I used with. It's absurd to think that you can surround yourself with users and stay sober. If you go to the barbershop enough you are bound to get a haircut.
  20. Peninha

I feel that sometimes people just lose their interest in what's around them and fall into temptation, it's a shame really, a lot of good things worth living for.