An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Psychological addiction

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

In the end, it all comes down to will power to live a better life. I really want to be able to go be active with my family during the summer and take long hikes. As long as I am a smoker, it is going to be hard because I get winded and can't move as fast. I want my kids to have good memories and so this is my motivation to quit. I want to breathe better and not have to stop for a smoke break.
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

I guess you always carry with you that the thoughts of how using felt when you were high, but you may also carry with you thoughts of what it was like when you came down from your high or the after effects of it on your life in general. Most importantly, it is important to have a support system and definitely review the steps you took to get to your current point of be substance free.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Some addictions look as though they would be scary to overcome. The stories I have heard about heroin scare me the most. People get hooked on that drug so easy and the withdrawl symptoms are supposed to be very intense. I would probably remember all of the bad things associated with the drug than the good.
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is the fact Rosy, some drugs we can't even try them once because they are really addicting, so better stay away! Once we try them, we are in trouble.
  5. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Although psychological addiction is a very delicate issue, I think the severity of physical detox is not to be neglected. There are ways to battle psychological addiction though. Prayer and family support can help.
  6. Peninha

Sure bourge, no one is saying the opposite, but if we can be physically clean in a matter of weeks the psychological addiction is something that lasts for life, so there is the difference.
  7. FionaMuva

FionaMuva Member

I think the best way to handle a psychological addiction is by replacing it with a healthy habit. For example, one can choose to indulge in an active hobby like swimming or running. Basically anything athletic that ensures the release of those happy hormones. You can also learn a new skill or try find a new hobby that keeps you engaged. Most artistic hobbies are known to give people a sense of fulfillment because one is free to express themselves. Try pottery, painting, playing an instrument, etc.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Besides detox, we need to look at the reasons why we became addicted in the first place if we are to stand a chance of staying clean/sober. If we don't fully understand why we use, and don't have any "coping strategies" in place, we are much more likely to relapse.
  9. Jil Diamante

Jil Diamante Member

It is no easy issue and science says psychological dependence occurs when a drug becomes central to a person's thoughts, emotions and activities. It can be demonstrated by a strong urge to use the drug, despite being aware of its harmful effects.
  10. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

I totally agree with this, recovery is such an individual thing and is a journey rather than an event. Of all the therapies I have heard of and know of (and I do know they work in the right time right place), the 'finding a life
    therapy seems far the best. So, yes, finding the motivation and getting others to support someone with this (although it does have to come from within) is vital. Finding a focus and something that gives happiness or drive or achievement or keep them busy is so so important. I know this isn't easy and that it is a journey over time. It also depends on the individual and how they process the world, what makes one person happy and content, doesn't mean it will be the same for someone else. I like you have used the word 'learning', as this is so true.
  11. 003

003 Community Champion

Psychological addiction doesn't really last for a lifetime. All you have to do is to condition your mind, to coax yourself psychologically. Hypnosis might help and meditation, but they are no guarantee. What I am saying is that you were not initially psychologically addicted. You only became because of some stimuli. So there's a way to undo it, by having another stimuli. You learned your addiction, and you could just unlearn it by learning something that's going to lead you away from your addiction.
  12. Peninha

Well, I don't know if I agree with that 003, I think that addiction does last a lifetime and if we don't pay attention to it we are back to the addiction before we know it.
  13. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Psychological part of an addiction really is the hardest part especially since you still have to live and everyday something or other will surely remind you of that substance you were once dependent on. I do believe that with motivation and the dedication to stay clean one can reduce the pressure of having the thoughts about that particular addiction.

It is a step by step process that really is long term, every positive thought does fill a little bit of the gap though.
  14. Peninha

That's how I feel too elles, give a small step, acknowledge it and give another one after, step by step, building more and more until we are cleaner and safer from relapsing.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Physical detox only lasts a few days? This is not true. I guess perhaps there might be some misconceptions about that. I am still suffering from some detox effects of a couple of legal drugs. It's unbelievable. Basically people are completely unaware that these drugs stay very deep in the body. Even if you think it's all gone, you should think again. I started detoxing the beginning of the year and I am still feeling the effects. Eating raw completely cleanses the body. The last three days I am just blown away as to how much is still, still coming out.