An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Psychological evaluation of the addicts mindset

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Josh111187, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

I didn't really know where to post this or even how to start it up to get any follow-up posts.
    So I'll dive right in....
    Has anyone else other than myself and two other people I know noticed that after a major addiction has taken over your life, there is inevitably a change in lifestyles of the addict. Theae are either of two changes.
    1- A change for the better and that person goes on and on persuing (from a personal perspective), a betterment of the life they have been so destructively living for so long.
    2- A change for the worse and that person is going to end up on the fast track to one of the three places that addiction ends at. Jails, institutions, or death.
    It's never that an addict is completely taken over by the experience of having your life controled every second of every day and then tbth come out of it the same. Everyone is changed in some way. It's not a matter of opinion, I've given it much thought and it is a fact.
    Addiction changes your brain molecularly so you wouldn't say that a scar from a burn left you unchanged. It might not show if covered but the scar remains nonetheless.
    So it is for the addict. And that brings me to my question.
    What is it that make us few fortunate ones that live through addiction to have a second chance at life to want better things for ourselves? But more importantly, and why I think about this so often for others as well?
    I can understand wanting to be less selfish and help those who we have hurt so badly, but I find myself being less selfish in almost all aspects of life. And having spoken to many recovering addicts I find this to be a universal truth.
    Those in meetings that don't have much opinion on this are the ones that relapse.
    I'm not very far into recovery compared to many but I'll tell you the hell I've been through and not relapsed has proven to me (and my family) that I am permanently an addict in recovery.
    Going on five months now, .I have a much clearer head than I remember having ever. I'm sure I did of course it was just so long ago it's a new and wonderful feeling.
    But what's makes us tick....why do we try so hard to kill ourselves with substances but want life so badly?
    It's not just a new appreciation for something that I can say that I was just seconds from losing. It's so much deeper than that....
    Anyone have thoughts on this?
    And noone think I'm saying that only an addict has this appreciation, I'm not, I'm just looking at it from an addicts point of view.
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

Well this one sure is interesting to me for sure,to understand the psychology behind the desire to "Drink" until i was cool,or "Smoke" cigarettes to fit in then later in life a misdiagnosis lead to an opiate addiction on another level.To truly sit back in silence hearing the wheels in my own head,asking myself why and or how.For 12 years i was medicated with Ritalin which had to mean i had a psychological defect,right?Wrong...A star track runner with only the desire to be the best,fastest runner to ever be at my school,to have my picture and name in the locker room as the fastest until that day someone was better,never once did i miss an honor roll in school yet the Ritalin kept coming.I started drinking young about 12-13 years old but was that my psychological disorder that put those beers in my hands?Nope but how appropriate for a athelete at such a young age to sit and watch your favorite sports stars promoting alcohol during commercial breaks while watching cartoons,a psychological condition or groomed by society to reach for a drink after a sports victory?Cigarettes for a runner??Insane right?As i trained running mile after mile every time i came around the back half of the track there it was for Years,billboard after billboard of Cigarettes on every corner from school to home,it cant be that bad right i mean all the teachers are standing in the parking lot during recess smoking and laughing,just havong a blast.Psychological issues?Nope...Dont do drugs kids watch this egg fry on this pan,this is your brain on drugs,but here 6 year old take your prescription meth so we dont have to keep our eye on you because your gonna be so hi you will focus on something productive,like memorizing those commercials and recalling the "Marlboro"man on all those billboards had a cool horse and a sweet cowboy hat.Psychological problems?Nope....Now as an adult all those things they showed us,all those things they groomed us to desire well...they ruin lives,the kill people,the destroy hope and now you either lose everything,die,or go to jail.I dont remember those commercials and or billboards growing up,i found out the hard way.Psychological problems?Nope.....Simply a product of my enviroment which they invested a lot of money to create.The good news is i was lucky enough to survive though everyday is a struggle to stay sober butat least all my sufferingand so many others suffering made so many people rich while they focused on destroying our lives.I think a bettet question is "Whats the Psychological makeup of those who spend billions to brainwashing society to destroy itself"I wonder if they survived on government Bread,Cheese,Ham like those of us who gtew up poor with influences and roll models like those people on the billboards?I wonder if their schools were surrounded by these "Roll Models"?Im sure they were right?i mean we are all treated the same,right?Of course its easy to say "We are the ones with Psychological problems"because they control the money,the power,the laws,etc so its easy to see we are to blame they are sitting on bank accounts to big to be at fault for anything,but seriously i want to know whats the psychological makeup of someone who is so willing to influence our youth in such ways,and do they even care?They helped create these issues,are they ever gonna take steps to help eliminate them??Sorry i ranted a bit but i had to vent.Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Josh111187

Hey there. Thank you for sharing. You've asked a pretty good question and I think books could be written on it. I think there are many factors involved, and each person may have different reasons for wanting to do better or not wanting to do better.

I think underneath the cloud of substances, it's easy to walk the path of self-destruction. It's easy to lose sight of one's core or true self. But once the substances are removed, when one starts experiencing clarity, of course they want to live a better life. And they may make better choices and reconnect with those loved ones that they've burned Bridges with.

But it's not really just about removing the substances. Underneath the addiction there are usually some pretty big core wounds. A lot of pain, and some people just don't know how to start getting through that pain and healing. This is why I am a firm advocate of going to counseling or finding support groups, educating oneself in various areas.

I tend to believe that people want to do better and be better people. I also think that some just aren't conscious of how, or have a whole lot going on underneath the surface that they don't know how to get out from under. Another reason I think we need to be mirrors to them, of their inherent goodness they may not be aware of at the moment.

I'm really glad that you're doing so well and congrats on 5 months clean! Thank you for your involvement here in the Forum!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

I will revisit this thread in the morning and give a different more educated opinion
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

I do have thoughts on this but though I promised a more intelligent response unfortunately I cannot give one on this site because my thought's maybe to course for some and i look to offend no one,I will say the "Psychological" make up of an addict is more about your genetic make up passed down from your blood line,it could be your parents didn't do the best they could've while you were being raised,maybe some physical abuse while we were children,suppressed to the point you seek to destroy yourself for reason's you don't understand, possibly a simple prescription eventually put a needle in your neck,maybe none of those thing's, perhaps never touched a substance until that first college frat party and one taste changed your desire's, maybe you Alcoholic parents....My point being and this is the part that may upset people but me "Myself personally "I don't believe there is an 100%accurate response to this question,I mean the variables are potentially endless therefore I cannot say it's a psychological condition although it absolutely can GROW into one but again each addicts situation varies so how could study and or science prove or pinpoint a psychological flaw?
    deanokat likes this.