An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Question about Addictive Personality

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 1928dryopi, Dec 4, 2017.

1. 1928dryopi

1928dryopi Member

I never written anything like this before but I want to see if I can get any answers. Before you read more, I want to make it clear that this is a PREEMPTIVE thread. I am not an addict currently but I'm worried that I may become one. I'm 17 years old and since at least age 10 or 11, I've glorified alcohol and alcoholism. I watch countless films and documentaries portraying addicts and I feel an intense sort of sympathy for them. I definitely feel like I could be attracted to one in the future. At the same time, I'm concerned about my own personality. I feel like I do everything to the extreme, everything's always black and white for me. Right now, I'm preoccupied with my schoolwork which I obsess over and spend hours a day on. But, I worry about my future relationship with alcohol. On my 16th birthday, the first time I ever drank, I blacked out and I think got alcohol poisoning. I drank 8 ounces of straight vodka (out of a waterbottle) and don't remember anything else. I haven't drank since then but want to badly. Do you think I have a high potential to become an alcoholic in the future? I'm sorry if this thread is strange but I truly want to know.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@1928dryopi... Thanks for your post. I don't think it's strange at all. In fact, I commend you for coming here and asking the question you're asking.

I'm not a doctor or psychologist or anything, but based on what you've written I would say that you are probably more likely to struggle with addiction than other people. Your sympathy for addicts, obsessive behavior, blacking out from alcohol at age 16, and the fact that you think about alcohol frequently are all things that raise little red flags for me. Of course, this is just my two cents. I might be completely wrong. But you may want to tread lightly as you get older. Do you have anyone you can talk to about this? A school counselor or therapist maybe? They may be able to help you sort through your thoughts and feelings.

Thanks again for your post. I wish you nothing but good things going forward.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.