An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Question about alcohol poisoning?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by moverqaws, Jul 7, 2015.

1. moverqaws

moverqaws Member

What causes alcohol poisoning?Is it because you drink to much,or drink it too fast,or what? and also will u automatically die from it or theres just a chance you can die from it? ty for you answers
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

It's when your blood alcohol gets too high. You can get it too high from drinking fast or drinking more than one a hour for a long time. If you get to that point your best chance of surviving is to be in the hospital. Because even if the alcohol does not kill you outright by shutting down your lungs you could still choke on your vomit or something
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Alcohol is a mild toxin. Drinking too much alcohol within a short period of time can kill. This is not a joke or a prank. I had a father who was a bartender and am well informed about the pros and cons of drinking.

Do you know that by law, a bartender is not supposed to serve a drunk patron? Many lousy, unprofessional bartenders will keep pouring, trying to earn their tips, but this is a good way to kill patrons.

By the way, I am not even discussing people who die because they are drunk behind the wheel, step in front of cars while drunk, are drunk-rolled by muggers or start fights that end fatally.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Its from drinking way more than you can handle,blackouts.. i had a friend about 4 years ago pass away at 16yrs because of alcohol poisoning... his brothers had to carry him home and the next day they found him in the room and his face was all blue.. i think he blacked out and well he threw up in his sleep and choked on his throwup..drink water in between your drinks.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Combination of too much and too fast.

You won't automatically die, but if you drank enough you will have to go to the hospital and get your stomach pumped.
  6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

I think its when you drink so much of it that you pass out and i think you can die from it you wont right away i think unless its that bad! but its not from someone putting something it your drink
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

This happens when a person has had too much to drink which causes them to get sick and also the person may feel like vomiting, have seen this occur many times before when I was younger and sad this happens. I reckon that people need to be aware of how much they can handle, as taking more than they can consume can be deadly and even fatal in some cases. Alcohol can have an effect on people in a different way as people have different reactions to the alcohol and also the lungs get damaged from this when too much is consumed in the body.
  8. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It can happen either way. I think not case are from someone consuming hard liquor drinks too quickly, but continuing to drink for way to long can also cause it.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is caused when a person's blood alcohol becomes to high after consuming too much alcohol. The results can be fatal or leave permanent damage to the brain and/or organs. If most cases though, the person just goes to the hospital and gets their stomach pumped and they are fine.
  10. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

The others pretty much explained how it happens, but I wanted to add....

If you're unsure if a person might be poisoned, get them to a hospital anyway. It might be embarrassing or get them in trouble, but it sure as heck beats potentially dying and you would have that on your own conscience, too, if you don't decide to take them.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It happens when, like my mom used to say: "alcohol flows in your veins, not blood anymore." And when you get to that point, you definitely need to seek professional or family help, otherwise it's going to be very hard for you to quit, if you aren't accustomed with alcohol and can't handle it from a physical point of view.