An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Question about cocaine use?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by hollowbackerdale, Jun 11, 2015.

1. If you have used cocaine between 15 and 20 times in your life, at the age of 20, it has almost been a year since you last used:
    What is the likelihood that person did permanent brain damage?
    Will lost brain cells and dopamine regenerate?
    Is it safe for that person to execise vigorously? ( could there have been heart damage?)
    What is the rate of relapse after one year of being clean?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

If you have been off of it for a year and you feel fine, you probably are. I'm sure your dopamine levels have long since returned to normal.

Nobody knows the exact relapse rate, either with or without treatment. Those who go through counseling and/or attend 12-step type meetings are usually more likely to stay clean.

I think you are worrying excessively. I doubt you have permanent damage, or you would know by now. Forget the brain-cell inventory, nothing can be done now. I'm sure you can exercise safely, but why not see a doctor and tell him all this? You'll probably get a clean bill of health, stop fretting and live the rest of your life without drugs.

You are more likely to have stress-related illness than to have permanent cocaine damage.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

you loose sleep. and you could lose some memory. also your body start to shake and feel that you have something heavy on top of you.That's way users become addicts. It damages the brain cell of feelings. In other word they lose the caring part and don't care anymore. That's why they rob and sell their belonging just to get off on the some women sell there body cheap. Once a person is on cocain for a long time of use. They can't remember what they did. when they loose hope they end up in a program so they can get on methadone. The relapse is went they are not really cure
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

This sort of thing is VERY subjective to the person involved... You know what subjective means? It means it TOTALLY depends on the person... Some people react extremely differently to drugs than others. You hear about people dying from taking Ecstasy just once... and you also hear about people using every drug imaginable for years and turning out just fine...

You asked for someone smart to answer this question... But if you're too ignorant to understand the answer yourself... then all I can offer is a champ pat on the back.
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

There really is no answer to that question. It depends on your immune system.
    Just stop doing the drugs and hope for the best! =Þ
  6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Well, to be honest, I've used it more than that and I am 20 and I exercise everyday. I don't currently still use it but I did do it almost daily and I feel no difference after quitting for a few months.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Hmm, you're fine, don't worry. It takes a whole lot more than 20 times to do real damage to your brain using coke. I know this isn't exactly a fair comparison, but imagine you had a whole keg of beer last year. How much damage do you think you could have done to your brain?
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've got over a decade of cocaine abuse under my belt, but I've been coke-free for almost 9 years now and I'm still here to tell the tale. So don't worry about a thing, you'll be absolutely fine.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've met cocaine users who seemed quite healthy, at least on the surface. Cocaine is certainly not safe and there will be negative consequences to one's health after heavy use. It may vary from person to person but it's not wise to engage in any form of substance abuse. Cocaine may not be as dangerous as say, heroin but it's still not a substance I have much confidence that it won't damage one's health.
  10. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I doubt that you have done serious damage to your brain. I've know of people who abused cocaine daily for years and went back to normal, functional lives after rehab. It should be safe for you to exercise, also.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Tried cocaine once, felt like **** for a few weeks. I know what happened to me was solely psychological, but I just want to tell you with this that it really depends on the person we're talking about. It varies, and it will forever do.