An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Question about "smoke free" zones

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by joesstagerjob, Jul 3, 2015.

1. joesstagerjob

joesstagerjob Member

If I am in a no smoking zone - eg hospital grounds, would I still be fined if I smoked in my own car?
  2. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Yes. It happened to my husband. The fines around here cost more than a months worth of cigarretes.
    My husband quit smoking because we couldn't afford the fine and cigarettes too.

So, the fine was a very good thing.
  3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I wouldn't think so as long as you have the windows shut. After all that is private land as such and as long as the car is legally on the road there is nothing they can do. Keep smoking mate!
  4. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yea I would think you would get fined. The car is on private property and I'm pretty sure its common sense that if you place your property such as your car in an organizations property, such as a hospital, then rules such as no smoking and such applies if they ever do enforce it.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

technically you could be issued a fine but most no smoking offences are a civil offence and not crimminal, so actually enforcing the fine could be very difficult
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

yes. no smoking means NO SMOKING in whatever area you are in, even if you are in vehicle or a broom closet and are in the no smoking area then it means NO SMOKING.

I worked as a medical secretary and obviously the hospital had a no smoking policy, in the hospital or it's grounds, all staff got an email saying that if they were found to be smoking on hospital grounds, which also included the public footpath on the side of the hospital, or whilst in uniform even if in your own car travelling between hospitals (we have 2) then you could be up for instant dismissal !!
  7. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

You would THINK you'd be ok in the confine of your own car. But yeah, if they see it, you'll still get fined. When they mean no smoking in the zone they REALLY mean it.

Even when the smoking is within your own car they see it as the car being in the zone. Which in turn means anything you do is in the zone, smoking included.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It was like a blessing in disguise or the good lesson from a bad experience. :)
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Wow I have never thought of this before! The No Smoking Zones are just being expanded here to include things like parking lots, and this is a part of the topic literally no one is thinking about!
    I am going to bring it up and my next Town Hall.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As another poster as already said, while you can be fined for smoking in your own car in a no smoking zone, it's not a criminal matter. While it might be company policy, smoking in public isn't illegal so they wouldn't really be able to do a great deal to enforce that if it ever came to court.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

If the smokes comes out of your car, yes. It's better to keep the windows shut, then get outside of that area and roll them down. This is very unhealthy though.
  12. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think you would need to have your windows rolled up if you are going to be smoking your car. I think that hospitals for instance only have a distance you need to be from the door before you are permitted to be smoking. I work at an Amazon.com fulfillment center and no one is allowed to smoke other than in the designated smoking area. This include while in our vehicles. If we are caught smoking in our vehicles, even as we are leaving the premises we can and probably will be terminated.
  13. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I think yes you can smoke in your car but you have to keep your windows closed, but it's preferable to not smoke in those areas, it's about respect to the rules only, for me if I need to smoke in smoke free zones, I just go out to some other place and smoke.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I think it depends on where you are. Which country and province/state are we talking about?
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd not risk it, my fiance got a huge fine for doing that while he was waiting to get news from his dad, he was getting a heart surgery. Don't risk it, try to resit the craving until you an get home, those fines are so high in most places.
  16. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

You probably can, since you're still physically within the zone. It's relevant that you're in your car though. I don't think a cop would really enforce this though, unless he's having a really bad day.
  17. michaelrydell

michaelrydell Member

I'd be careful, you could get fined. I've even seen some park benches now that are NO SMOKING. There are some big time anti smokers who will call you in.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

These no smoking zones, and the fines associated with them are ridiculous. They unfairly target tobacco smokers while letting everyone else pollute the air in every other way, with nobody saying a thing about it. If a person has to stand X amount of feet from a "no smoking zone" such as near an entry way, then why are big huge SUV's allowed to pull up and pollute the air with their exhaust fumes? Why is a neighbor next door allowed to pollute the air with their BBQ grill smoke or outdoor smokers?

Many parks offer outdoor grills near the picnic tables - why is it ok for them to burn piles of charcoal, but someone cannot smoke a cigarette, cigar or pipe? Why are your neighbors allowed to do the same thing in their backyards, sending smoke into everyone else's backyards? Why can people burn fire pit's in their backyards, but I can't smoke a cigarette without "accosting" them with a whiff of tobacco?

Oh and for the record, I used to live right near one of the Cleveland Clinic branches, and many of their very own employees would all walk over to the nearby bar parking lot to smoke. You could drive by there at any time of the day and you would see several of them in their scrubs puffing away.

I also happened to work in a building that was a shared building with another branch of the Cleveland Clinic and they were trying to tell our business that we weren't allowed to have anyone smoking outside either, and they even tried to tell us what we can and could not have in our vending machines. Talk about overstepping.
  19. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think the others are right in saying that it could be okay as long as you have your car windows up but if you could control yourself, I think you better just wait until you get home or better yet get out of your car and walk to a smoking area.

Where I live, smoking used to be allowed anywhere so whenever I would walk down the street and someone in front of me is smoking, I could inhale the smoke that they puff out. Good thing the city government has finally passed an ordinance assigning specific areas for smoking. It's a relief for me because when I go out with my family, the risk of my kid inhaling second hand smoke is finally at the least of my concerns. We can freely walk down the road without any worries of inhaling someone else's cigarette smoke.
  20. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Everyone makes some interesting points here, however, I think it's important to consider why a hospital is a No Smoking zone. Even though the fines are rather harsh, in the end, the reason we shouldn't smoke at a hospital is because there are people there whom smoke may influence them more than the average person.

People with Cystic Fibrosis, Pneumonia, small children, people on cancer drugs - all these people are in a rather fragile state, and no matter how well we may think we've locked our car up, smoke can leak out, be on our person and even just waft when we open a door to get out.

Nicotine cravings are tough but perhaps a patch, some nicotine gum or perhaps even an E-cigarette might be an alternative you could try??