An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Question for smokers of this forum

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by 111kg, Nov 18, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I have a question: does the food taste the same way it used to when you did not smoke? I am asking this because my mother in law always complains about the food not having any taste or spices (she's an avid smoker), even though the rest of us say that there is nothing wrong with the food.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Smoking does affect your senses, taste and smell in particular. Instead of asking just the smokers though, your question could be aimed at ex-smokers as well though as they will also be able to tell the difference stopping smoking as had on their senses.
  3. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

The thing is that I've noticed the same thing at my hardcore smoking friends. They all complain about the food even when we go to fancy restaurants where the food is absolutely flawless.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It is known that smoking dampens your senses, but they can be regained once you stop doing it. I'm speaking from personal experience, and trust me, nothing feels better than being able to breathe normally again. I have become very sensitive to smell lately.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it does have an effect on taste. It could be because of the smoke having a taste to it already and over riding everything else. I noticed that food seems to taste better after I stopped smoking myself. Some people don't complain about how food taste after smoking tho. I think it depends on oral hygiene mostly.
  6. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I'm an ex-smoker now, but when I used to smoke I didn't notice that food tasted different. When I did finally give it up however I was amazed at how much stronger my sense of taste and smell became. I also found that my appetite increased enormously and I enjoyed food far more than I did before.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I started smoking at 13 so couldn't really tell you what food tasted like before. I'm 39 now and have been quit for almost a year and I can't say I've noticed any significant change in the taste of my food other than spicy dishes tasting even spicier. My favourite dish at the Indian restaurant, for example, used to be vindaloo but now I've stopped smoking, I can't handle it anymore.
  8. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Yes, smoking has a huge affect on your taste in my opinion. I have been a smoker since the age of 13.The only times I did not smoke in all of those years I was pregnant with my two children. I could taste food so much better, everything was more vibrant and bright.
    Now that I am trying to quit smoking I have already noticed a change. It might not be as drastic for everyone, but in my opinion smoking does alter your taste.
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I think that smoking definitely affects our sense of taste and smell. I'm still an active smoker, but I can taste and smell the difference from when I've had a bad day (day I've smoked a lot) and a good day (where I've only smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes that day). I feel that my senses are much more alive when my smoking is at my lowest.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I smoked in the past for a while and after I quit, I started to notice that the food was definitely tastier than before. I was able to recognize what's in it rather than not feeling anything at all. Smoking can definitely mess up your taste sense, be careful about it.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

So "it is known". Thank you for your answers. I really hope that, someday, smoking will be obsolete. I'm afraid it won't be so easy to make people stop smoking all of a sudden for good.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really sure about this, I used to smoke a lot when I was in high school but I didn't felt any differences when it comes to the food... And now when I just smoke occasionally I can't really feel any differences. I'm a Mexican, so I eat a lot of spicy food, so I don't know if that has something to do with the spicy thing that you mentioned.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have heard this from smokers that have stopped smoking. They say the food taste so much better now that they don't smoke. So I'm sure there is truth to it. I wish I could quit, and find out for myself. I hate blowing my nose and seeing the brown stuff that is in my nose. It's just nicotine so disgusting.
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It's not only the ability to taste that gets affected but also the ability to smell correctly. That's why the people that you know that smoke can't really taste the food.
  15. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Yea I think it changes what we can taste. Probably from the smoke of a cig and chemical thats put into them. Or she just really likes food with flavor to the max. Could be both but it's probably because of her smoking
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, when you give up smoking you do begin to taste food and drink more. You don't really realize what it's actually doing to your senses until after you quit and you regain them. However, my mother who is a non-smoker also complains that food these days doesn't taste like it used to years ago, presumably because of the way it is being manufactured. Other senses such as eyesight are also affected by smoking.
  17. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

It is probably because she is a smoker and smoking causes you to lose taste and smell as well. So maybe since she cannot taste food like a non smoker she thinks tat there is not enough spice on the food. I know when I quit food tasted so much different and better.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My man is a smoker, and yes, it seems smoking for more than one decade has affected his taste and smell senses. I pray for the day he finally stops :( I wonder what he will think about my food then?
  19. hell2say

hell2say Member

When I quit smoking, I noticed my sense of smell and taste had gone stronger. In the beginning, I didn't use to like the taste of food. In fact, I used to find it plain even though it was spicy for others. But after some sober days, I happened to enjoy food. I began liking the taste even more and my appetite increased. Now, my taste buds are more active and I can enjoy my food more than before.
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

They funny thing is that if he just stops for a day or two he will get these senses back. It can be a bit frightening at first, because you are smelling things and tasting things you haven't for years.