An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Question to recovering beer alcoholics

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Sid Vaenar, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Sid Vaenar

Sid Vaenar Member

Do all these shelves full of various alcohol products ever convice you to try that new beer brand? Do you often think "just one bottle won't do me much harm, but I might like the taste of some new beer"?

Funny enough I used to buy that new beer and throw it away nearly full just because how much the taste sucks.
    endoftherainbow likes this.
  2. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

There is no such thing as a "beer alcoholic". An alcoholic isn't addicted to beer or a specific beverage, they are addicted to the alcohol. An alcoholic always has the temptation, it is just a matter of not giving in. I don't see how this question is useful or helpful to be honest.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I used to be addicted I used to go to grocery stores and see all these new brands of wine and whisky and I thought to myself "Dang, those would surely taste good" but I stopped instantly. No fancy brand should stand in your way to recovery. :p
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Once someone reaches the point of being an alcoholic they don't care about taste anymore. I can see how somone who enjoys beer and wants to quit drinking could give in.
  5. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

It's always a temptation to resist when you see it on the shelf and you want it. The important thing to remember is how much more you want a sober life and what taking that off the shelf will cost you if you do! It costs a lot for some, it costs everything for others. Either way, it's not a fair exchange. It's best to ignore what's on the shelf and keep shopping. I know it's hard, but it's something you have to do because the alternative is a dark place you're better than being stuck in.
  6. misamisa

misamisa Member

I've tried quitting several times, and have found myself doing what you said. "Just one drink will be fine". It never works, one drink is never enough. I really do hope there will be a day that I've gone so long without alcohol that I'll completely revert back to the way I was when I was first trying alcohol. I hated the taste of it so much that I couldn't bare it. It's weird to think how much my attitude towards alcohol changed over the years.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is true, alcoholics crave alcohol no matter what form.
    BUT there is some relevant here.
    Companies try very very hard to make new, exciting booze products for us to try.
    It can make it tricky because they have ways of promoting things and marketing things so you really want them.

Where I live they just changed the law so you can buy beer in a normal grocery store (you used to have to go to special government run stores.)
    I've been sober long enough it doesn't bother me, but I could see it being a challenge to someone just trying to get over alcoholism and having to now see beer when just getting their daily bread.
  8. Sid Vaenar

Sid Vaenar Member

Ha, most true alcoholics I knew used to see beer with a frown. Sure most would still drink it when nothing stronger is available however.

I both agree and disagree. Some just like the taste or the effects of beer drinking compared to stronger beverages. I guess it depends on the person's stage of alcoholism. Alcohol addiction progresses slowly in most people.
  9. JohnBeaulieu

If somebody is addicted to alcohol, not in recovery or even honest about their addiction and access to beer is removed but other beverages containing alcohol are made easily available, they will go for them. There isn't a "kind of" or "sort of" addicted.
  10. JohnBeaulieu

Beer was always available in grocery stores where I live; the change made here was that Liquor was moved from state run stores to the grocery stores.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it depends on a case to case basis. If the person in question has a lot of self control, then I think they can withstand the temptation.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

May I ask where that is?
    I have never actually seen anything above 20% for sale in the supermarket.
    That really doesn't seem like a great idea...
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is a great answer!! Just walk away. It is not worth it to even consider the idea of picking something up! A sober life is a good life!
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Alcoholic means you are addicted to spirits and not fermented drinks. Whiskey is spirit, and beer and wine are fermented drinks, even though they contain some percent of alcohol.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

No it doesn't. Ignorance abounds. It means you are addicted to alcohol, period.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

I live in the USA. Each state in the USA regulates the sale and control of alcohol differently. My state does not allow the sale of alcohol between 2 am and 6 am. Hard Liquor used to be restricted to stores run by the state that generally closed by 8 pm, but now it is in grocery stores along with the beer etc..
  17. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I would not really differentiate between beer drinkers and other drinkers when it comes to alcoholism, but I can see what you mean with the whole new flavor thing. I think that anyone who has been through the hard times, and I mean the HARD times, then they know that it is not the flavor that matters. It is the burn, that feeling...that is what matters. The flavor would not be enough to drive me back to something, but who knows.
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

So true! You may start drinking beer to become an alcoholic, but alcoholism will always demand more alcohol ingest than the poor graduation a beer has, then you will go with go after something "strong" and, if you hit rock bottom, you may find yourself drinking pure alcohol or whatever thing with alcohol content.

Temptation will always there for all of us struggling with alcoholism once, but is up to each one remain loyal to sobriety, and find the way to avoid it.
  19. JohnBeaulieu

I many places there is beer available with rather high alcohol contents as well. @Vinaya 's comment does not make any sense.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

Yes I don't think that user really gets it.
    Alcohol is alcohol. It's the exact same chemical just in different concentrations. Does not matter how it's produced.

I am well aware of how it varies state to state, didn't know some states allow everything in the grocery store.
    I know some states are actually more restrictive then Canada, and there are even some "dry counties" I have had the pleasure of driving though.