An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Quitting Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by DancingLady, Oct 27, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

When someone is quitting smoking, what are they likely to feel physically, besides the desire to smoke?

What is the best way to encourage someone who is struggling to quit and has not been able to stick to it?

I have quite a few co-workers who smoke, and I know at least a couple of them have tried multiple times to quit but have not succeeded yet.
    adriana likes this.
  2. Bowers2013

Bowers2013 Member

I have found in my many attempts to quit I have become anger, anxious, irritable and very impatient. It was very hard to concentrate, like I was in a fog. I worked in customer service and found myself very snippy with my customers. What encouraged me to quit was my ex-husband was deployed to Iraq. While he was gone I wanted to build up the endurance to run with him when he got home. I bought myself a treadmill and used Chantix. My motivation to stop was every time I got on the treadmill I could run further.

Maybe look into having a group hypnosis or acupuncture session or challenge each other.
    wellpostlooper likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe talking to those who successfully quit smoking could help them get motivated. There could be support groups in there or near your locality that could help them. They could try making themselves busy on other things too like having sports to occupy their minds and get physically fit at the same time.
  4. jaray87

jaray87 Member

It is difficult to stop smoking. I stopped smoking all of a sudden one day because I had just gotten engaged and did not want any smoking to affect the future births of my children (I am old school when believing old wives' tales). I remember I was easily agitate and angry all the time. That lasted for a good month but it all made sense and I have become healthier since then.

The point I am trying to make and the point that others are making is that in order to quit something, whether it'd be smoking or drugs or alcohol, you have to find that strongest internal motivating factor. Outside/External motivation does help but that is short-lived short term method (as I have painfully experienced). So, find that inner motivation, may it be for example "I will die young if I continue to smoke" or for me, it was I'm going to have children someday and I do not want nicotine to be anywhere in near their system when they are conceived.
  5. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

My wife has smoked ever since we've been married and I don't. So over 20 years with me and then before that. She started vaporizing or vaping. A few things, she started with a blend that tasted like her Salems with a certain nicotine level. When she went to refill her liquid, a bottle about the size of a large eyedropper bottle, she had the amount of nicotine reduced. She's been doing that for almost a year and has only had a handful of smokes.

Also, she pulled some winter clothes out of her closet that had been vac packed for space and was completely grossed out by the smell even though they had been washed before storing except for one jacket. She also said she and a co-worker went to lunch and they smoked and she could hardly stand the smell.

Every time we hug I love the smell of her hair and I tell her. She thought I was being obnoxious or lying when she first started but now she can smell cigs and knows I'm not just talking nice.

The best thing is that she's saving about 300 bucks a month or more by not smoking. She was amazed by the amount of extra money in her checking account!
  6. DancingLady

Thanks for your insights. It is really too bad smoking is so ingrained in kitchen culture. I think that makes it even harder for the guys who would like to quit. The anxiety and irritability really answered a big question for me as the kitchen can be a stressful environment in the first place, it would be even harder to manage while feeling like that, especially when the "solution" is so easy to come by.
  7. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

So I've researched on this a bit. Helping others quit requires you to be more positive and encouraging than scolding or nagging the quitter. Instead of asking if s/he is still not smoking, just ask how she's doing. Despite him/her failing to quit several times, tell him/her that you think s/he can do it this time. And be there during tricky situation like after a meal or during coffee break because s/he may want to talk more as s/he needs a diversion. Doing things together can also pull him/her through. Giving loads of praises and rewards weekly, monthly can push him/her to carry on. Good luck DancingLady!
  8. zaerine

Great points you have there. :)
    Finding the strongest motivating factor could be the key to successfully quit smoking. The one factor that could me stronger than the desire you have like love for family and love for yourself. :)
  9. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

Its not even the physical urge to smoke that gets me, its the thought of never being able to enjoy one again that makes me irritable. i try not to smoke that much being that i have a full time job and work does not permit me to smoke. but i do enjoy one after a long day at work. but i know i need to stop
  10. zaerine

Well it is a good thing that your work does not allow you to smoke cause that could be a great start for you to totally quit smoking. Trying to make yourself busy will eventually help you together with determination or strong will to really quit. Good luck and hope you succeed.
  11. Moaz13

Moaz13 Member

That's the right line of thinking. One other thing is that helping others to try and quit while you are trying as well kind of makes you more dedicated in your attempt because you try to become an example for them about how it should be done, and you don't want to start again to disappoint them and the image of you they have in their head.
  12. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

It is difficult to quit smoking. I have quit many times over the years since I was 19 years old but I always start again. I mainly want to smoke when I am drinking alcohol or when I am stressed. The nicorette gum is nasty so that did not work for me. I get irritable when I do not smoke so I just do other things to take my mind off of it. It is challenging but with practice, I will keep getting better. I want to quit smoking for good and never go back.
  13. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

One of the ways that you could quit smoking on the long run is to gradually reduce your smoking habit. I know it's easier said than done, but if you do it this way, the side effects of removing nicotine completely from your system shouldn't affect you.

At some points in my life, it was helpful to carry a small container with only the cigarettes I was allowing myself to smoke that day, instead of the whole pack. When you have the pack on you, you will say "nah, I'll just have one more", and end up smoking them all anyway.

As jaray87 said, though, you will need to find that inner motivation to help you through your quitting process. For me it was getting married. Since my wife hates cigarettes, everytime I felt like having a smoke I would just think of her and the fact that even if I had one she would know (she has very acute sense of smell), and I didn't feel like trying to mask the smell afterwards, anyway. So I'd just go do something else. The first month was the hard one, it took a lot of willpower. But thanfully, I've been smoke free for 4 months now. and I don't feel the cravings anymore, even when I'm stressed.
  14. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Whenever I start to feel the withdrawal symptoms gain up on me, I sleep. It's a great trick. Or, if you can't sleep, go out with friends. Ride a bike or something. Just divert your attention to something else. It isn't that hard if you make up your mind!
  15. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Also pay attention to how you socialize with others and your daily habits. Part of the urges may simply be habitual things you need to break free of as well as not wanting to be "left out" of the conversations you previously would have with your other friends that smoked.

I had a really hard time cutting back smoking, for example, when I was working a very stressful job at a company that was going through an acquisition. Many of us were in the dark about the future of our jobs and going outside for those smoke breaks to find out the latest details was really hard for me to resist. Even in general though, it does cause some friction when you isolate yourself from your smoker friends, especially if some of them are really close friends. Be up front with them that you are simply trying to quit for your own health, and it's not about them at all.

Habit wise, I had a hard time even driving anywhere without the urge to roll my window down and have my arm out the window to take draws from my smokes. That took months for me to ween myself off of doing.
  16. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think habit wise is a big issue. Changing our habits can help, or at least it did for me back when I quit for a while. It's still too difficult to be around others who smoke though. It makes the cravings much worse when you're trying not to smoke.
  17. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I could remember when I was going to Modesto Junior College there were always people who would smoke in front of the forum building. I was talking to one Assyrian girl and she said it was hard to quit. I feel you need a huge support group to stop smoking or you would not be able to do so.
  18. This is really encouraging. You somehow managed to find the willpower inside you to do something that would benefit your body. I know some people who go through a pack of cigarettes all the time and they are always talking about quitting but they never last. It always seems to be on their mind thus leading them to smoke even more than usual. I'll encourage them with your story.
  19. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

The only thing you should do when trying to stop smoking is promise yourself you'll never smoke again. This way you know you made a life-time decision. All the other things you do, will in the end relapse. If you try to reduce the number, you're only extending your pain. Physically it's not big deal, is more a mentally problem. You never woke up in the middle of the night to light a cigarette this only means that you could go without this addiction physically.
  20. DancingLady

I had a neighbor who couldn't get through the night without going out for a smoke. I don't know if that was because she couldn't sleep all the way through the night uninterrupted anyway and just felt the urge for a smoke because she was awake or what. It was kind of annoying though because it would come through the window which we needed to keep cracked so the room wouldn't get unbearably stuffy over night.