An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Quitting Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by DancingLady, Oct 27, 2014.

1. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Member

I picked up smoking when I was quite young still, 16 and quit that very same year. I don't think I smoked long enough to be able to tell you exactly what the side effects of quitting are, but for me, quitting made me slightly more irritable than usual. I smoked cigarettes to relax me from my daily responsibilities and quitting just made me painfully aware that I was going to have to take those responsibilities head on, which added to my irritability and actually gave me a bit of stress. However, after a month or so of being on edge, I started to calm down. I think the best advice you can give a co-worker is the reassurance that quitting is in their best interest. When I was quitting, I kept telling myself how much healthier my body would be without the smoke, and eventually, my brain was like, 'ew you don't want that, it's bad for you.' I think mind over matter plays a big role when you're quitting :)
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Even going cold turkey does not always help people who are trying to quit. Changing your routine to get somewhere else is difficult when you are addicted since the drugs or alcohol are controlling you. Its like a evil voice telling you to go and smoke or drink. Its like the cigarette commercial showing how cigarettes are like bullies. Trying to quit is like starting over again in your life you can do it you just have to strive for it.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Some of them could put on some weight if they lost it while smoking. Also, you crave food / sweets more, as a substitute for nicotine. But you can cope with those symptoms, and after it you will feel a fresher breath, your hair will look better and you will be able to breath again, which really worth it.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

From my own experience I could tell you yeah people that quit smoking usually relapse a few times, I personally did like 4 or 5 times, now It has been almost 7 months since I definitely quit smoking and I hope to never smoke again.
    I remember when i quit smoking the first time, I did it at once, I did not reduce my consumption before quitting so I got a lot of withdrawal symptoms like: stress, despair, anxiety, headache, stomachache, etc

It was a hell, and it last like 3 or 4 days. so my advise is to reduce consumption to 1 cigarette per day, for 10 days before quitting definitely.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi everyone! Just last week, my dear friend's husband had to undergo surgery whereby a stent was placed in his heart bulb. He suffered a heart attack. The doctor said it was caused by a very unhealthy lifestyle, one of which is his heavy smoking. He smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day and swallowed as much smoke as he could which is the worst way to smoke.

Though it caused my friend unnecessary stress and sleepless nights, she said she was glad it happened. For one, she views it as a wake-up call for him to change his unhealthy habits. So maybe this is one good way to help others quit smoking, learning from other people's stories. We don't wait for a serious illness to happen to us before we quit. Thank God he was given another lease at life. Although I know it is easier said than done especially for heavy smokers, who knows, this can work for them. We just have to try all ways to make our loved ones stop.

However, I remember my uncle when he was trying to lessen alcohol had thought of all his friends and acquaintances who died due to alcohol-related illnesses. He'd be alcohol-free for some time but slipped back. Finally, he cut back when he diverted to exercises, a small business that he loves and grandkids whom he adores and love him back. Now this is something really encouraging and inspiring to help others quit - moving forward to more defined and inspiring life goals.
  6. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

One of my friends who is addicted to smoking told me that he felt insecurity once quitted smoking. There was uneasiness because his mind kept wandering on things. Therefore he wanted to keep on smoking to get rid of the bad feelings.
  7. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I really think the vapor option is really something to look into. Check out my first post at the start of this thread. We had a big test with a long distance road trip and I could not tell my wife was using her vaporizer in the car at all, she even blew it in my face a couple of times, with my permission, to see if I could smell it. It's helped her quit and she has already reduced her nicotine intake from when she started. When I quit smoking I chewed on straws. I would get a drink from a drive through with lunch or something and keep the straw the rest of the day. That lasted for a couple of months.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Sadly, people start taking measures about something when it's already too late. For example, I started coughing blood and that's why I stopped smoking. It's stupid, I know, but this is the sad truth. Maybe you could warn them and get them informed very good on the disadvantages / dangers of smoking. Either way, they'll learn them the hard way.
  9. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I've been trying for years to quit. I notice that I smoke less when I am actively doing something, and even forget that I want one. But when I go to long, I get very irritable and I get the major shakes. I have been cutting back slowly to get myself to the point of quitting again, but ciggs are more addictive then heroin.
  10. dpaige707

dpaige707 Member

The biggest key for me when I quit cigarettes was my Environment. I decided to quit along with my roommate and his girlfriend because they were about to have a baby and I started dating a girl that didn't smoke cigarettes as well. After I decided to quit my friends and I got e-cigs and relied on those for a while, but it took me a while to quit smoking cigarettes altogether. I partied some back then and hung around people that smoked cigarettes so I was constantly bombarded with temptations. I stopped going out at ll and got a bunch of video games and stayed in the house for about 3 months, only coming out to go to the store and other errands like that. After that 3 months the only thing I needed was the e-cig every now and then and then after a while I didn't need that either.Controlling your environment and eliminating your triggers helps get a hold on the addiction and helps you rediscover life without nicotine addiction.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had a friend that smoked for about 7 years and one day he just stopped cold turkey. Several years later the conversation of addiction came up and I asked how it felt to be addicted to cigarettes. He told me that in his experience and knowing others that smoke, it was one of the most addictive products out there. He then went on to say that til that day whenever he smells a cigarette he feels the need to smoke. He holds back and doesn't. I can't imagine how that would feel like. Hence the reason why I asked him.
  12. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Probably it was just because she couldn't sleep, I can't think of anyone who wakes up in the middle of the night just for a smoke but I can think that people who are sleepless might be going out for a smoke hoping that going away from bed will make them sleepy.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it would be difficult to convince someone to quit because it is often difficult enough for them to I quit even if it were their own decision. That said, I think it's still possible because I've heard of many stories of parents quitting because their kids brought it up or they just decided it on their own. The best way to quit as of now I think is using a vaporizer instead and I think this is the first time in history that we are able to find an actual viable alternative so we really should take advantage.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well I've never heard the vaporizer option before, but it seems very suitable. I still believe whoever wanna quit smoking should cut it all of a sudden, deal with the simptoms for 2 weeks and never have a smoke again. About the vaporizer, do you know anyone who actually did quit smoking with it? And also did quit the vaporizer after that?