An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Raised in a cloud of smoke

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by TripleD123, May 7, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Literally every single person in my family smoked. Some quit after many years due to health issues but even then about 90% of the people around me as a child smoked. My mother smoked while pregnant. My dad smoked around us kids with the windows up in his truck. The house always smelled like smoke. I in turn hate cigarettes and cannot stand the smell. I honestly get sick to my stomach and have an instant headache whenever I am around someone smoking. What I hate most is that these people still continue to smoke even though a lot of our family members have died from lung cancer. Also these people seem to think that their rights are being taken away any time they hear of a new law against smoking.

I just don't understand people who can subject children to second hand smoke. At least from my personal experience it put me off to ever picking up the bad habit.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Growing up I was the same, both my parents smoked and so did my grandparents. I dint know what effect health wise it's had on me, but then again I smoke myself so it might not really be an issue.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

My parents are both long-time smokers, though my mom stopped when she was pregnant with me. I was actually surprised to be told that children of smokers are more likely to smoke, because the smell of it always repulsed me. There were times I actually had others give me a hard time about smelling like smoke, and accusing me of being a smoker. Which stopped when my parents agreed that they’d smoke outside, but it was still something I’d worry about.

Funnily enough, some of the very people who gave me a hard time ended up becoming smokers themselves.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If they do not care at all about their personal health, they should at least care on their child's health. Sad that there are parents who seem to have poisoned mind because of their addiction and does not care to anyone.
  5. TripleD123

I've noticed that children coming from smoker families are usually 50/50. To some it made them more accepting and willing to pick up the habit where the other half it made them never want to pick up the habit at all. I too was always given a hard time and kids would call me stinky when I was in elementary school.
  6. TripleD123

You would think that they would put their children's health first but it seems that the bad habit over shadows everything else. Especially back in the 70's and 80's the health effects weren't known and so now a days the old school smokers still think there is nothing wrong with it.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Everyone in my family smoked too. There was only my parents and brother at home, besides me but all three of them smoked and it's no surprise that I picked up the habit too. This was the 80s though and the health risks, whilst known, were not advertised as much back then.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I grew up in a house where every smoked as well. It wasn't fun at all. Growing up the card were stacked against me but I never took to smoking at all. Til this day I hate it and I don't allow anyone to smoke it around me or in my house.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

My dad smoked and I never did like it. He didn't cleam himself often as well, so yeah it would come out of his pores and he'd be all nasty sweating all over the place. Not a pretty picture, maybe that's why I don't smoke.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Even those who are very much aware that secondhand smoking is dangerous, still smoke around their loved ones. Which is a very sad and alarming fact.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I'm really sorry that you had to grow up in a household like that. My parents were avid smokers too, and it was definitely impacting me negatively when I was a child.
    I tried to stay away from them when they smoked. I knew it was harmful.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

Of late children are taught about dangers of smoking in school. Imagine when they see you smoking how they feel. They are supposed to first learn from home. Smoking near our children can can make them to try out one day.
  13. TripleD123

Ditto. My smoker family members know that when they come to my house or into my car they are not allowed to light up. They take it outside and deal with. But once I went on vacation with my mom and my children. I booked a non smoking hotel room. My mom had the nerve to smoke in the bathroom. I was irate! She was mad at me for booking a room she couldn't smoke it. It was a nightmare.
  14. TripleD123

Same here. I would stay away from them as much as possible. the sad thing is I would use my allowance money to buy Frebreeze because I hated how my room and clothes stunk of smoke.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, that's pretty much me, too. My parents, brother and even grandparents smoked around me, which seriously affected me, health wise. It's said that passive smoking is in fact worse than actual smoking, because you also get to have all those toxins combined with CO2 coming from people's lungs.
    It's truly sad that these kind of things happen within a family, but I don't think we can really stop it. We don't have that much of an influence upon people, especially our parents. They need to see by themselves, else they simply persist.
  16. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

That's great that it was your act of rebellion to not smoke, usually it's the other ways around. It was the same for me when I tried to quit, everyone around me I knew in my family and friend circle smoked.

I have a bit of an issue with rights, we give ourselves these rights, as if we deserve so much more than everything else on this planet, I think plants should have rights, I think that animals have rights.... Instead we just give ourselves rights and expect everything to fall into place. We will not survive without plants and animals anyway, so let's see what happens when the world goes to pot, rights will go out the window.
  17. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I think in a way, not smoking was an act of rebellion for me too. Being around it all the time at home, then seeing it happen a lot at school and being accused of smoking when I’d never touched a single cigarette… just kind of made me not want to do it, ever.
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

My mother smoked her life and when I was very young I always told her I wanted her to quit and it was a nasty habit. When I got to junior high my thoughts changed. I took a cigarette from her when I was 12 and took it to school to smoke with a couple of curious friends. Biggest mistake of my life...
  19. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

@TripleD123: I sympathise with your situation. It was totally irresponsible on the part of your parents, though I don't mean to be disrespectful. I'm glad you don't smoke and smoking could not affect you. Smoking around children is very bad. I sometimes feel aggrieved except for voicing our concern, we can do nothing about it. Unfortunate!
  20. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I was raised with smokers I totally had no side effects from it. It's not a good idea to smoke around others. Especially kids smokers need to take it outside. It's just being mature and responsible it's your habit don't make others suffer for that.