An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Random Anxiety

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Dwayneu, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Do you, or someone you know, experience random bouts of anxiety? I've struggled with this for years, but lately I have these episodes where I would be anxious to the point where it feels like I am getting minor panic attacks, but the worst of all, there are no triggers, it appears to be at random for no reason.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dwayneu... I suffer from this, too. When I have the episodes I start deep breathing exercises and, if possible, remove myself from the situation that's causing my anxiety. For some reason, I get these pretty frequently when I go to the grocery store. I've abandoned a lot of shopping carts full of groceries over the years. In cant case, you are not alone.
  3. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

@deanokat, thank you for that. I don't think my episodes have gotten so severe, I can't imagining abandoning a shopping cart for example, but it definitely gets very uncomfortable. I've been experimenting with meditating more frequently, and focusing on my breathing, and it makes it better.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Joyner

Joyner Member

One of the worst things about anxiety is that it can even manifest itself in other ways. I learned all too late that another manifestation of anxiety is lethargy. It means that when your heart is too anxious, your body can go into low energy and lethargy in order to prevent you from completely shutting down. I used to pride myself on being pretty energetic, so I was confused by what seems to be an unnatural degree of sluggishness. But I soon learned that it was a side affect of anxiety.

One thing I learned about anxiety is that breathing techniques, and yes even things like drinking chamomile or low caffeine tea, can help with anxiety (be sure that you don't have to work or go anywhere before drinking the chamomile, though, as it puts some people to sleep). I also think that cathartic activities, such as running or writing, can also help with quelling down anxious thoughts by putting your mind on more productive things.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

Bless you for sharing and I'm sorry you're feeling anxiety. I think it's normal, and the anxiety may have always been there, it was just covered up with substance and addiction. Now it's exposed, and you want to deal with it. Congratulations for being in recovery, and for being in a healthy place now where you can effectively deal with anxiety. It's normal, natural, and if you ask around, I think you will find many other people feel it too, for reasons they can't explain. For me, exercise and staying busy are great tools for working on anxiety. I lift weights and run, and I can't focus on my problems or anxiety when I'm focusing on my form at the gym. I stay busy at work and make sure I'm committed to service to others. I know you've heard about "losing yourself in service" and I believe it's effective. When I'm helping someone else, or listening to someone else's problems, I can't worry about myself. I hope this helps, and good blessings to you in your journey! Best wishes for a Happy New Year too!:)
    deanokat likes this.
  6. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

My doctor called it "generalized anxiety disorder", and yes, it's a real thing. The good news is that CBT can really help with it rather than drugs, so if you need to see someone about the problem, suggest going down that route before being prescribed anything.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Well my anxiety always has a trigger no matter how small. I had no idea though that you could get anxiety out of the blue
  8. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

Sometimes anxiety can happen without a trigger, but regardless I think the key is to be able to identify when you are having an attack and what to do about it. I've had people give me advice like 'try to find the source of your anxiety' sometimes that backfires because lets say the source of your anxiety is debt, well finding the source will only give you more tension since you can't deal with it right then and there while you're having an anxiety attack. Instead try to find ways to calm yourself down (deep breaths, call a friend, exercise, etc)
  9. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

I agree that it is best to identify the trigger of the anxiety attack is it a situation like a confrontation or if you hear bad news about a family or friend is it because of a troubled relationship. I believe it is good if you can talk to a professional like a clinical psychologist to look for answers and taking prescription drugs must be the last option if ever. You must be proactive in dealing with anxiety as it may progress and become more frequent.
  10. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

I still do all the time. It only takes a common place where bad things happened or the recollection of unsavory situations from the past to bring anxiety back. That, or too many thoughts at once can do it too, since I suffer from PTSD, which makes the random anxiety even worse. Even without PTSD, anxiety is not something to take lightly, and if it is getting to you, you should see someone you trust about helping with it or finding ways to cope with it that will work best for you.
  11. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Yeah, I have generalized anxiety disorder. I put it down to the years I spent drinking, and the trauma of recovery afterwards. It's kinda the one lingering thing I still really have to deal with. I'm not ready to go on medication just yet, so I'm still testing the waters with cognitive behavior therapy. So far the treatment seems to working quite well.....
  12. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Yeah, I do occasionally get anxiety attacks and I find them truly terrifying. I even passed out in the bathroom once from one and banged my head pretty hard on the hot tub. Luckily I didn't get injured, but it was a scary experience anyway.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I too have dealt with anxiety for years and I will be the first to say that it is no picnic. You never know when you are going to experience an episode and it can prevent you from doing things that you need to get done. The best advice I can give is to figure out what exactly triggers your attacks and try to avoid those situations as much as possible, or find a way to make them not so bad. I get anxiety when I have no money and need to get things paid. I make sure to have a small comfort reserve in my bank account. I also get anxiety when I am in a large crowd and so I avoid those situations or make sure someone is with me.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I feel some relief knowing I am not the only one who has done this! It helps a lot to know that! Because whenever that happened I felt so out of place and odd. I specially hate the part where you have to pay the things or speak with the cashier and also when ordering food. I have no idea why I feel this way, but I do.
  15. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi Dwayneu. I too suffer from anxiety. It's been happening for several years now, but during the year 2015 it became worse and worse. When I'm having anxiety attacks one of my symptoms is that I break out in hives, so it got to the point where I would burst out in hives every day, several times a day. I would scratch the hives so my skin became worse and worse. I would have trouble breathing and I felt a tightness of the chest bordering on pain ( I visited the ER several times and my heart was fine). The anxiety caused me to smoke more and more cigarettes (that is my addiction) to the point where I could easily smoke to boxes a day. It took for me quit my job and leave the state in order to slowly start feeling better. I'm grateful that I had some savings because this timed-out has really helped me lower the anxiety and lower my cigarette use. To all those here that are experiencing anxiety, focus on making a change in your environment (you don't have to go as far as I did), or shift the things around you, things that you've notice trigger your anxiety. It has worked for me.
  16. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I think that that is something that we all go through to some degree, and certainly it is more evident in some people than in others. I know that I get times when I get really nervous for seemingly no reason and I just focus on what everyone else is thinking and I get paranoid, and at times like this I really need others to help clam me down, so I try to do the same for others who I might think are going through that.