An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rare fact about cocaine.

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by hurrywithpants, Jun 29, 2015.

1. kjonesm1 likes this.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

yes and it was in the original recipe of coca cola which makes me wonder something. On todays coke labels it says original recipe... Okay either they are breaking the law and have cocaine in coca cola
    or this is False advertisement and they need to be sued.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

It was prescribed for many maladies. In the early 1900's I believe, the doctors started to figure out that it was not such a good thing.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

No, I knew about Coca Cola but not that

It reminds me of the commercials pushing drugs that are followed by lawyers wanting you to sue for them and their side effects
  5. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Good find. Because honestly, I didn't know about that. I mean, I knew about the Coca-Cola thing. But hell, this pre-dates even that. When people think about when it was legal, they ALWAYS talk about the soda, not this tootache thing.

Only on wikipedia can you find stuff like this. Thanks
  6. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Yes it was a time of ignorance of the drug that would take over the world and bring death to many because of it.

similiar to opium that was a household cure for everything till it was causing some deaths but you could buy it so easily.
    seems so silly to read about them now.
  7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I knew it was used for all sorts of maladies. It was the main ingredient for many elixir back then. From toothaches, stomach aches and to fight drowsiness (like today's energy drinks) cocaine was the go to cure. It's funny how much things have changed since the .
  8. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

Wow! That's crazy! Well we still have the codeine! I think that is horrible. I wonder if it was a much lower dose?? I mean to think that the health care profession would get kids high is awful. Now days however, nothing seems to surprise me. It seems that one minute its bad for us but come to find out you all have been giving it to us all along. Maybe its how its used that is so harmful.
  9. Crowl

Crowl Member

It surely does have a painkiller property.
    How or when they used it for commercial reasons is I think interesting. It shows how a particular subtance changes its use and hands with time.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Don't dentists still use something called Novocaine, which is a relative of coke?

I must admit that cocaine is great for toothache, it numbs the gum so I can certainly understand it's usefulness in dentistry. @smartmom is right though, it becomes dangerous when abused. There are plenty of OTC meds available which have abuse potential but used according to the guidelines, they are very useful drugs indeed.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I was, surprised as in those days many people may not have known of the side effects and may have been a normal thing to use and surprised it was used for the gums and was cheap as well. There may have been some children who got addicted to it as the smell and the taste may have caused some to try it out and experiment as well, which was legal till it had health issues and caused problems in the long run. In the dentistry world it is used for pain and also it can soothe any teeth problems and may be used in small amounts as using too much can cause problems or addiction to occur.
  12. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Original as before they substituted corn-syrup for sugar. Actually, the true original formula would be legal, but would cause positive drug tests. It is legal to sell, buy, and use coca tea. However users will fail drug tests, just as eating poppy-seed buns can cause false positives on drug tests. Cocaine is mostly removed as a courtesy. The original original formula had less caffeine, so it is actually safer. The real reason for removing it from the drink is to prevent someone extracting it, in which case it would be dangerous. Concentrated cocaine is unhealthy, whereas the tea or a drink such as original coca cola has positive health benefits, especially if used at high altitudes.
    Heroin syrup was also sold (Mother Winslow's soothing syrup) to treat colic in babies, and for teething children.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, really? That's a great rare fact to know. I wouldn't have imagined that cocaine was a good teeth medicine for kids. It was a good thing though that those kids never got addicted to it. :D
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, it has been around quite awhile. The Coca Cola has been using it since I think before the 1900's. I wonder if they still use it, could they be lying about their ingredients? Well if it is less than 2% they don't have to list it. Oh just a little dab will do ya.
    I wonder how much cocaine they used for a tooth ache. A little bit rubbed on the gum I guess. Can you use it for muscle strain like ben gay? It's probably in their too. Icy hot, they can put it in there and not tell you now. See that's what i wonder. If an addict is attempting to recover and decides let's have a Coke and a smile, soda. Is that going to slip them back into their addiction unknowingly? They might just think that they are weak and that they would never be able to kick it. There are just so many factors.
  15. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

The cocaine content to modern Coca Cola is quite low and Cola drinkers would test low enough to be considered negative. Chocolate eaters likewise might test positive for pot if the minimum were low enough. People often fail drug tests for eating poppy seed buns. People on parole are warned not to eat poppy seed buns and will be violated for it.
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Cocaine was largely prescribed in the early ages, especially to kids. Keep in mind that it was also put in large quantities in Coke, too. Therefore, this info isn't news to me at all, haha. :)
  17. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, I learned about this way back when I was in high school. Cocaine was used for many ailments in the beginning of the 20th century. Fortunately the authorities wised up to the dangers of this substance and outlawed it. I've even come across advertisements from the late 50's that depict cocaine as a normal every day remedy.
  18. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I did know it was used as a pain killer a long time ago. I think it became known pretty quickly that it was addictive and causing problems, and so other options were sought which thankfully replaced cocaine. I do know that the coca leaves are used in South or Central America as a stimulant. I believe they just chew the leaves, so it's not that concentrated compared to the drug, but I have always wondered what the effects of that kind of use are, and if those people are really addicted to it as well.
  19. kariad28

kariad28 Member

My sister was on cocaine bad I didn't know for a while that she was on cocaine. She kept it a secret for years but then it took a turn for the worst. She started stealing and selling things out her home. She started selling her gifts that I would give her. She started stealing from my mother taking her medication and selling it for drugs it just was bad. She even started selling her body for drugs. Once you reach that point you need rehab. Thank God we took her away from where she was living and my mom made her lose contact with everyone. The hardest part was watching her go through withdrawls but after that she was back to her old self again. I wouldn't wish addiction on anybody.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I didn't know that about the toothache medicine, but I did know about the original recipe for Coca Cola containing cocaine.

It's always interesting to me, reading the history behind a lot of drugs. So often they were used as commonplace things, but then as time went on people have realized that they were actually addictive/problematic. It makes me wonder if there is still anything these days that we believe to be safe that in 100 years they may say was anything but safe.