An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Re-channeling your life for the good new you!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Apr 30, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

How are you going to get inspired to change and leave the bad you? I think you have to be a kid again, so that you get to dream again. Dream like a kid as if there's no barrier that comes. Don't think about the barriers. They key is to always be optimistic that with your faith in yourself and the support of the people most important to you, you can achieve great things, and that is achieving your new you.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

But you don't have to be a kid in order to dream. An individual of any age has the capacity to dream for better days, and there's nothing wrong with dreaming at every age. It gives us hope, and having dreams can give us the personal inner strength to succeed, especially while battling a substance abuse problem. Optimism comes from having faith (in God or just yourself) and then dreaming for something bigger and better. You have to put in some effort, too, of course.
    imperivm1 likes this.
  3. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I agree that dreaming isn't exclusive to children. No matter how old you are, what your financial state is, where you're from or what you've done in the past, you'll never be denied the right to dream. Now that we've established that this isn't an issue, it's only logical that we draw inspiration from our dreams. Having something positive to look forward to can be extremely motivating.
    AFKATafcar and kassie1234 like this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I like that philosophy of keeping your dreams alive, despite your age. A lot of the time, I think dreaming is also like goal-setting -- we need to have those things to look forward to, or to focus on, to keep us motivated on the road to recovery (and even when we are recovered!) I think it's a good thing all around. Right now, my dreams are to save for a vacation for my family so we can have my baby's first trip to the ocean. It's a happy, positive thing to keep me focused on!
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I think what @003 is trying to say is that it is much easier to dream BIG when you are a kid. When you mature, you get conflicting opinions. Your mind starts wandering to different places. It's kind of like being conscious of one's being.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a good point...I definitely think when you're a kid, dreaming is easier -- because nothing seems impossible. As an adult your dreams tend to be more limited...things like your financial situation or your geographic location or your physical capabilities may all be things that make you think twice about your dreams. For instance when I was a kid it was fun to dream that one day I'd be an Olympic gymnast...nevermind the fact that I was never very talented at gymnastics! Same for the fact that it's nice to dream about a giant worldwide vacation...but those things cost money!
    calicer1996 likes this.
  7. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Haha...didn't we all dream to be sport stars and celebrities? Watching television all day and getting all pumped up! But it's not a bad thing. It's life!
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

There is a saying that 'it's not a bad thing to dream because it's free', and I totally agree with this. That's why it's not bad to dream big since it's boundless. We should never lose that ability to dream, because with it comes perseverance. If you dream of a clean and sober life then you have to live the dream. Work hard to achieve it and you will know that dreams do come true.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think what @003 is trying to imply is that when we were young, we had so many aspirations/dreams in life as though sky was the limit, we believed everything was possible. And that maybe, by defamiliarizing ourselves from the harsh realities of life, we'll be able to regain that imagination and dream again.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah this is a good idea. Surrounding yourself with positive people makes a huge difference as well. Negativity can bog you down almost prevent you from achieving. I notice the difference tremendously in my own state of mind when I have certain people around. They are usually incredibly positive, inspirational, and always looking on the brighter side of things. One breeds the other and it should be genuine. Letting others thrive helps to keep yourself positive. Its often other people that create those barriers that are really not what they've made them out to be.
    Its only once that I heard a man say "I can't". I thought to myself he really believes this. You know why? Because negative people pushed these thoughts on him. A handsome, smart, educated, and very talented man. There are no barriers for a man like this. Only the imaginary ones that other people have placed there out of jealousy. Your own view of yourself is the only one that really matters.
  11. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

It does not hurt to get those dreams or plans for the future down on paper, or even to share them with others. Writing them down or voicing your dreams makes them more tangible. Also, it allows you to plan out what actions are necessary to achieve those goals.

Furthermore, sharing those goals with others may end up in receiving assistance in order to reach those dreams. Assistance from others can be in the form of encouragement, help getting started on where to look to start living your dream, as well as connections with other people who will help to make the dream a reality. Anything is possible!
  12. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

While I agree you don't have to be like a kid to dream, I have to admit from my experience, becoming "like a kid again" actually helped me. I went to stay with my family, leaned on them, went back to answering to them and we tried to rebuild me a little. It was a weird dynamic but it was also like a second chance and we all did a lot of healing during that time.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

You can dream no matter the age, you just have to keep your mind open. There are no barriers and as long as you want something and you work hard for it you're gonna achieve it! I try to preach that everyday, people need to be reminded that they can do whatever they want.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As a child it IS easier to dream in my opinion because you still have an optimistic view on the world.

It's only as you get older and life starts to weigh you down that you realise that ambitions and dreams aren't necessarily always achieved, and that's when it becomes hard.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

What holds most people back is their negative thought patterns. It doesn't matter if you screw up. Using drugs isn't the remedy to that. There never is an age beyond which one shouldn't pursue their dreams "because it is too late." It's never too late for anything. Awaken your inner child and dream big if that's what it takes to prompt you to start taking action.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There's no harm in dreaming big, but at the same time being realistic helps to avoid the negative thoughts people can get.

If a person wants to be a professional footballer for example, if they're 35 years old, it's not going to happen, no matter how positive you are. But what you can do is join a amateur team, and play your best in that kind of league and make a name for yourself there.

There's nothing wrong with tweaking your dream to fit in with were you are in life, and you'll still be happy.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

As much as I like the idea of change, but it's not realistic, no one can change but they can evolute...
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have established this goal, and dreamed more and more about how it will be when I will reach it. It's not really a goal, but more like a wish of mine which I want with a burning desire to come alive. Every night I make sceneries about it in my mind, but lately they began to feel so real, that it kind of scares me (in a good way). And that actually gets me closer and closer to my goal, and makes me feel happy and alive. It's a nice experience.
  19. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

In order to become a new you, you really need to be inspired. I found that participating in things that made me happy helped me build a new self. I discovered a lot about myself when I tried new activities and participated in things I wouldn't normally participate in. I went from being a hermit to being a "yes girl" constantly.
  20. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

You have to regain the real world and dealing with how things really are. Strive to be a responsible adult. Refocus on what you'd like to see for yourself in the future. Make goals and strive to achieve them, discover the things you like to do for activities.