An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

react and reaction...

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by pwarbi, Mar 22, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It seems to me, especially here in the UK that mirijuana is becoming even more and more popular than what its ever been.
    I would go so far as to say that everybody will know somebody who either smokes it or sells it and this is across all classes of society.
    When you say to somebody you smoke weed, or somebody see's you smoking weed, I'd say the reaction used to be a lot different than what it is today. Now, while I wouldn't say its accepted as much as alcohol is, I'd say within 5 years it will be seen as common, if not more popular than alcohol.
    How do people feel about this? What sort of reaction have you experienced?
  2. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

I believe that the new generation is incredibly infatuated with the idea of marijuana simply because hip-hop start to become the dominant face of culture. And hip-hop advocates the use of marijuana I don't know any hip-hop artist who doesn't advocate the use of marijuana.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's true that nobody bats an eyelid over weed here in the UK. The British are not easily shocked though and rarely get hysterical about things. We are a very tolerant nation. I think more people are beginning to realise that it's not actually that bad and is a great deal safer than alcohol or hard drugs.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Over here people also are not surprised if someone smokes weed and I come from an Asian country. Even harder drugs are pretty much common and it's widely used even if it's illegal, so people just act nonchalant if ever they discover someone smoking weed or using other hard drugs.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Slowly, in America, every state will allow marijuana to be sold for recreational use. It is not because of medicinal purposes. It is taxed and the profits are huge!! Just like how alcohol was once illegal, it became a mainstay because it was profitable.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's a good thing. It's about time people started talking about it. The topic has been suppressed for far too long and a lot of the research behind it has so far been tainted or biased so it will be nice to finally see it become commonplace enough to warrant better and more objective studies, discussion, systemization and regulation.
  7. pwarbi

I also think that the more people accept marijuana into society, there easier it will be fo people to also see the benfits that it can bring.
    It's not all about peole sat at home getting stoned and wasting their lives away. There is many benefits that taking the drug can have, the more people know about it, the more it will become more accepted so it works both ways.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is becoming more of a socially acceptable thing to do, like drinking alcohol. I will say though, that I think British people are often times less offended at things that even us Americans are. I like that about British people, they can take a joke and you don't have to really watch what you say around them. I predict that Marijuana will be legal in most places in the next few years.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's been so much talk about the benefits of Marijuana that it was only a matter of time before most people were swayed by these arguments to believe that abusing Marijuana wasn't all that bad after all. The changing attitudes towards the drug I'm sure will spread to other parts of the world as well, not just the UK.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Agreed Rainman. I really do wonder what the negative health side effects of this drug are, other than the fact that you inhale smoke. I am sure there is a risk of lung cancer, but are there any other health risks? I have not done a ton of research on the drug, I just know about it from experience smoking it when I was a teenager.
  11. pwarbi

The main and most obvious health risk is the smoking aspect of the drug, the nicotine and tobacco and the fact your inhaling it. Marijuana can also be drank and eaten of course as well though so them risks don't apply.

Depending on who you talk to you'll get different opinions, some say its a dangerous drug that can alter peoples state of mind, others will say its harmless and less dangerous than alcohol.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Funnily enough, I've just upset a friend in Arizona with one of my "jokes". He posted a picture of himself holding a tiny pupy and I commented "Look at that hairy animal! Oh look, there's a little dog too!" and he got so offended! I had some serious grovelling to do after that but I thought he'd take it with humor, like guys in the UK would.

Otherwise though, I've always found my US friends to be a real good laugh : )
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

lol @missbishi

No, I really don't think that has anything to do with the area the person is from. It sounds like you just need to find acquaintances with better senses of humour.

Marijuana will eventually be accepted as alcohol is accepted. It's not the scary monster the government lead everyone to believe (& partially the cotton industry). The more interesting matter I feel is to come. Looking at marijuana will lead to looking at all illegal drugs & factoring in the change to marijuana's legality will inevitably lead to looking at street drugs in general. What will come of that has yet to be determined.
  14. pwarbi

I think people in the UK do have a unique way of looking at things, a more sarcaatic sense of humour than others maybe? I know I often get in trouble for comments I make when I mean it as a joke.

While I do think marijuana will eventually become legal (in some places it already is) I don't know if that will have any effect on other drugs and the way they are seen and dealt with in society. How many years have people been campaigning for the legalization of cannabis and only now is it being taken seriously.

If its taken this long for marijuana, I wouldn't have thought the chances of any other drug being legalized will happen anytime soon.
  15. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well it is good to see marijuana being accepted now that before because I think it is a better alternative to tobacco smoking. Maybe someday cigarettes will be made of marijuana and tobacco will be a thing of the past.
  16. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Washington just legalized weed the other day. Other states are likely to follow suit and before you know it, the whole world will have legalized too. My guess is that within the next five years, marijuana use will become more popular than ever before.
  17. pwarbi

While I agree that legalizing marijuana is a good thing, I can't help but be a touch sceptical as to the reasons its all of a sudden being more and more accepted, especially by the governments and officials.

People have been campaigning for years now and its fallen on deaf ears and stayed as an illegal substance. I can't help wondering if the government has already got a tax band and a policy in place to be able to profit off the sale of marijuana already?

I think a deal somewhere will have been struck between suppliers and companies, possibly tobacco companies as to who's going to produce and distribute the 'legal' sale of weed. Its not very often the governments listen to the public unless there is something in it for them as well.

It will also be a nice little rating boost in the polls as well on voting day to say 'and don't forget we was the one's to listen to the people and legalize marijuana just like you wanted'...even though that probably means now your paying twice the price.