An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Reading

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by petersos, Mar 5, 2015.

1. petersos

petersos Member

I have found that the best way that my uncle goes without wanting a drink is by reading. It is seems weird but as long as he has something to read drinking is not on his mind. I make an effort to make sure he has something to get engrossed in all the time. It is not a hundred percent sure but its better than him going on a binge.
    Rex likes this.
  2. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I love books, i aspire to be a writer.I would love if some day a person said that a person stopped drinking because of a book of mine. That is one of the best posts ive read here
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I too aspire to be a writer someday, and reading books keeps my mind occupied. Even when it is just little stresses in life, I can escape in my books and imagine a different life.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I couldn't agree more. Find a good book to immerse yourself in and you have time for nothing else. It has happened to me when I used to read more books. These days most of my reading is online. At the end of day, there is nothing like having a good old book to turn the pages old or new.
  5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

The best books to read are those books tat take your mind off to journey. These books may not necessarily be the best for learning or improving yourself in general but they do provide you with an escape to your daily routines. I think this form of escapism is also important for recovery.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Reading is a great way of keeping your mind stimulated enough to keep it out of thoughts of craving. The best part about it is that it also gives you a different perspective as well which takes people out of the bubble they often grow too used to.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

This will be a great way to make a book lover occupied. :)
    There are just times that someone has nothing to do or think and therefore grabbing a beer. It is nice to know that reading helped in the case of your uncle.
  8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is the beauty of it, each person has it's own thing that will keep drinking off their mind. In the case of your uncle is reading, so nothing like knowing those around us to help them better.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Good for your uncle that a simple activity such as reading makes him preoccupied enough to stay away from it. Some alcoholics are not as lucky and are really struggling to stay away from it, since no amount of being busy can make them shake off their cravings.
  10. jon

jon Active Contributor

That's great. I know that I was going through a hard time, and reading helped me to loase myself into a good place for awhile. The experience was positive and stimulating to the mind.
  11. shmangie

shmangie Member

That is a really good idea. Books draw you in and help you escape the real world just as much as drinking does, but in a positive way. It's safe and it's good for your brain. I think that is a brilliant way to stay away from drinking. I read just to unwind and get my mind off of other stressful things.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Thrift stores are an excellent resource for inexpensive books. A lot of people go through their books, read them, and then donate them. I got 5 newer release books yesterday from a thrift store and paid less than $10. Cheap entertainment that should last me through the summer.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  13. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I really love this advice. People don't realize the awesome material you can find at thrift stores.

On a side note I have my grandmothers AA books from the 50's with her hand written notes in them. I cherish them.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It's good that your uncle found reading to be his way to let his mind busy and to occupy his time to forget his habit of being a binge drinker. A very nice idea because through reading there is learning and understanding on the different aspects and views of life which will inspire him to be a better person.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Reading has totally kept me sane and focused. It surely helps you to recover because it keeps your mind off things. It's actually pretty amazing how literature can totally change our lives for the better. :)

Suggest books that are inspirational and motivational to your uncle. It would do a trick, I guess. ;)
  16. petersos

petersos Member

I am also an aspiring writer my work is freelance mostly. I would say it was my uncle's love for reading that caused me to get into writing in the first place. Those were the days that he was okay without getting into the bottle. Maybe if anyone has a biog they can give me a link to it I be reading. We build each others writing.
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Reading is another form of escapism, albeit much healthier! Getting engrossed in a good book can easily make you forget about everything else.
  18. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I definitely indulge in a lot of escapism via books in the fantasy or sci fi genres. I love it when authors keep you so wrapped up in their world that you lose time and forget about the real world entirely. That intense focus can really save me from myself sometimes.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As long as you can keep your mind busy you should be fine. I don't have the patience for reading but if I do a physical activity or play video games, I don't think about alcohol.
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes as well. If the book is good, I could read for hours on end. Come to think of it, it is a form of addiction as well. Thank god it doesn't have any side effects. Yet.