An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Reading

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by petersos, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Books helped me a long time ago but they don't do the trick for me anymore. I simply can't focus enough on what I'm reading and my mind wanders around until I get lost and don't remember what I just read.
    It can be a good stress-reliever for other persons, I suppose.
  2. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

As an additional comment to my previous post it is really true that reading educational and inspirational books is very helpful to a person who wants to recover from an addiction because it will keep their minds buzzing and to learn new things and ideas that they need to change their life.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Books can be an excellent way to subvert cravings and keep your mind occupied. It may be wise to be careful what kind of books you choose to read, maybe stick to inspirational/edcuational books as other posters have pointed out. And personally when I’m depressed, I can’t read anything too complex or heavy; I prefer light reading in that case. It can be just as effective.
  4. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

It's great he can do that. His brain is totally absorbded into the book. I could never do that. That's just the way my brain works. Everyone has their little tricks to take their minds off of things. It's comparable to me playing video games. I get sucked in for hours on end.