An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Really bad tiredness as a symptom

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Cheeky_Chick, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Has anybody ever noticed that they are really tired since they tried to stop taking what they were addicted to? I am assuming that it is just a symptom that will get better, but I don't really like being so tired in the middle of summer when everybody else seems to be out enjoying themselves!

Have any of you guys noticed this as a symptom? I have a friend who is more agitated than tired, so that seems like the opposite to me, and I am finding that a little bit confusing to be honest.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I got really tired the first couple of days that I was quitting smoking. I believe that part of the being so tired stems from your mind working in overdrive with dual thoughts of craving the substance and not wanting to give in. Another reason tiredness happens is because there is physical stress to your body as you are trying to get through the withdrawls. All of these things take a physical toll on your body and will drain your energy.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Rosyrain is right, withdrawal takes it out of the body in many different ways and the culmination of this is that you start feeling tired. The good news is that it does pass. In the meantime, are you able to sit outside at all, perhaps with a book or the laptop? At least this way, you'll still be getting the beneficial sun rays which will help you feel so much better.
  4. Rosyrain

I would say embrace your tiredness and take the time to get much needed rest. Your body will thank you in the end and you will feel much better in the long run. When you sleep, your body heals and rejuvenates itself.
  5. MyLife

MyLife Member

Each drug had different withdrawals. Meth has a lot of tiredness associated with it because of the fact that people tend not to sleep while on it. Also, when you use meth, the Dopamine receptors in your brain are blocked and the part that produces Dopamine is placed into overdrive. this accounts for some of the euphoric feeling that comes with use. When you stop using, your body has to learn how to produce the proper amount of Dopamine again. Which means less than "normal" is produced. this can cause depression, and cause you to have no motivation and to feel exhausted.

Each drug is different. But you have to remember that you put your brain and body through the wringer with the choices you made while using. Now, you have to give it time to get back to normal. Everyone is different. If you think you need help, talk to a doctor. they can help you figure out if medications, such as antidepressants, could help you get back to normal.
  6. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Tiredness effected me a lot as a result of alcohol withdrawal. I believe it is a widely experienced symptom. If I recall correctly, the body undergoes exaggerated (in it's mind, for lack of a better phrase) stress and in order to compensate for that, the body demands rest.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The tiredness is a sign that your body is starting to detox. Your body is telling you to take it easy, as you are slowly getting rid of a lot of physical, emotional and spiritual toxins. Sometimes this fatigue can last for many months. The best thing to do is not to fight it, but to listen to what your body and inner voice are telling you.
    It would also be a really good idea to drink a lot of water during this stage, preferably with a squeeze of lemon, to accelerate the flushing out of poisons from your body, and to eat plenty of vegetables and fruit to boost your system with vitamins and minerals.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

There's not too much of a difference in my situation. I know that when I used take drugs, I'd feel a lot of fatigue, and even when I quit, the same sensation remained, so I immediately assumed I wasn't totally cured. I was wrong.
  9. StimsJstCz

StimsJstCz Member

Maybe not particularly fatigue, but I definitely lost focus when I quit smoking. For the first 3 weeks, every day was like moving through a fog. I couldn't think properly, I couldn't do homework, and I couldn't work. It was so infuriating to not be able to use my mind to it's fullest, but in hindsight it was much better to have quit then, and dealt with the symptoms, than now, or in the future with a more serious side effect due to the prolonged usage.
  10. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I have experienced tiredness as a symptom of withdraw, but most of the time it is accompanied by restlessness and insomnia. When badly withdrawing I cannot sleep, no matter how exhausted and tired I am or how bad I want to sleep it off. I think one of the worst feelings in the world is when you're so tired and you can't fall asleep.
  11. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I have given up three or four different drugs in my life and all of them caused me a pretty great amount of fatigue, especially at the beginning. I think it is partly from withdrawal and I also suffered from some depression which also made me feel even more tired. Hang in there, it does get better.
  12. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I got that too, right after I stopped taking alcohol. My way of dealing with it was to sleep it off and this worked well for me. You should try that too and also take comfort knowing it will be over soon.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I actually felt more energized and full of life, as I was really hyped about quitting my addiction and reaching my goals. I was addicted to tobacco and alcohol, which were both tiring me, so I stopped feeling their effect during my withdrawal. Truth is that I hadn't actually felt so many (and bad) withdrawal symptoms.
  14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Pretty common issue. Your body is trying to get used to not having whatever substance you were putting into it. Takes time to adjust. Definitely will get better with time. Just try to drink plenty of water and be as healthy as possible. Will improve your situation quicker.
  15. jessicaa

jessicaa Member

I take Sertaline, which is an aggressive form of antidepressants, used to treat OCD, Agoraphobia and depression. The first few weeks of me taking these tablets, consisted of upping my dosage, from 50mg, to 100, and eventually to 150mg. For me, this was exhausting. I wasn't used to the substance my body was dealing with and as a result, i became extremely lethargic and just unable to move from my bed. I believe drugs can make you exhausted, drugs of any kind. However, I think you need to find the right type of medication to help you instead of physically, perhaps even emotionally exhaust you.
  16. CGraves89

CGraves89 Member

Your tiredness could be related to depression of some sort. The best thing to do is talk to a professional in either addiction recovery or a medical professional such as your doctor. If the tiredness is lasting more than a month you may have something else other than detox going on with you.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think it will take your body some time to adjust. it has been relying on drugs in your system for a long time. So, getting used to being without them may take awhile. I think that you will improve but it may take a few weeks to adjust to the new situation. I hope you can find the help you need in time. You may need help from a doctor though if it goes on too long.
  18. When I quit drinking a while back I would come home so tired every day. Sleeping was a comfort when I could get to sleep, then I started taking sleeping pills so that I could sleep all night. Sometimes I just wanted to cry and my body would hurt. For some reason I wish it was winter so I could bury myself in more blankets. After a while it became easier and I started drinking again, I know dumb move but I did. Now I'll try again.
  19. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Yes, I had this really bad when I stopped doing cocaine after several years of regular use. I was actually worried if perhaps it was another health issue all together, such as a virus or Mono or some STD, but thankfully it was none of those.

I went from doing cocaine about 3-4 times a week (usually about $40 -$100 each time), to almost quitting cold turkey to the point where I only did it a handful of times over the course of two months, to stopping all together. But shortly after I did that, I started getting incredibly sleepy. I'm talking I could barely make it through a 9-5 shift at work, and would jump in bed as soon as I got home, right after I ate dinner. Many times I would sleep from like 6pm all the way into the morning of the following day at like 6am or later.

Don't get me wrong, after years of being strung out and not being able to sleep at all, it was rather enjoyable to climb into a comfy bed and almost immediately start sawing logs. But it did make me worried about my family noticing my strange behavior and wondering what was up. It also pretty much ended a lot of my socializing since my friends got sick of me not answering the phone when they called.
  20. Rosyrain

The whole process of coming down off of a drug and going through the withdrawls can be mentally and physically taxing on the body. Your body has to go through the process of cleaning itself and this is a lot of work. I think being tired is a symptom of most kinds of withdrawl and detoxing.