An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Reason Why Some Alcoholics Won't Stop Drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most alcoholics have friends who at one time attempted to fight their addictions but weren't successful. These alcoholics who failed to beat their addictions happen to be the source of lots of wrong information which discourages others who might want to stop drinking from even trying.

I saw a post on Facebook, on a recovery group. Someone who claimed he's been drinking for 10 years confessed that he was unwilling to fight his addiction though he wants to because he's "afraid of the seizures?"

What seizures? One of his drinking buddies apparently had told him to be prepared for that when he stops drinking.

How can you help people like this who've believe that fighting an addiction can have some adverse consequences?
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

What?!?!? This is so silly to say to someone... and even sillier for someone to believe it! But I guess that if I was him and wanted to quit, and someone told me "oh, hey, watch out for the consequences of stopping doing what you like ", I would surely freak out and keep drinking.

Just like the fear of some people of quitting smoking because of that alleged "weight gain".
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcoholics who have been drinking for many years, as soon as they stop it can be a shock to the system and seizures do occur.

That of course isn't a reason not to stop, but more of a reason to make sure you stop in the right way with the proper medical advice.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard about long term alcoholics who suffered seizures when trying to quit, but to be honest I hadn't heard about that side effect until recently. I had no idea that long-term alcoholics had it so bad when trying to finally quit. I guess it makes sense, because some people have been drinking for decades, so there had to be some physical dependence involved.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

That is why it is best to go to a rehab when they are what to quit. That way they will be supervised and if anything happens somebody will be there to help them. They will use any excuse to not quit drinking if they don't want to. That is all that it is, is excuses.
  6. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

The success of recovery will really depend on a person's willingness to get well. there are ifs and buts here. One must maintain a "Just Do It!" attitude hmmm sounds like a sneakers commercial. The person must go 100% if there is an iota of doubt then he will fail. The support group like family and friends is also a motivating factor.
  7. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

For long-term alcoholics, quitting is not so simple. It requires time, effort, willingness, and support from others. I mean, it's become a regular habit for them, and breaking long time habits can be difficult. For these, I strongly advise joining a support group as they really assist with the recovery steps.
  8. pwarbi

It's the bodies way of telling that person that it NEEDS alcohol to survive, and in some circumstances, if they have been alcoholics for a long time it does.

Just stopping cold turkey might seem the best solution but that's not always the case.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

While it might be true about the seizures, it's common sense not to tell someone who wants to quit drinking that these kind of things might happen. It's like describing to someone in detail how a complicated medical operation is going to be before they decide to go along with it. Hearing, "They're going to open you up and mess with your guts," is enough to send anyone running for cover.
  10. pwarbi

While I do agree, sometimes it can have have the opposite effect as by telling them will want to make them quit even more, but by making sure they do it the right way and first seek medical advice.

It's never wise to just suddenley stop drinking without some sort of advice beforehand.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Normally it is exactly that fear. Fear of the unknown, some alcoholics have been drinking for such a long time they don't remember what made them start in the first place all they know is that they have to drink. It is a big step to stop drinking but a worth while one.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

They should be informed that the consequences of keeping drinking are far worse than those of quitting. Also, their "friends" should not discourage them just because of one single experience with withdrawal. They should be encouraged instead, and supported until they reach their goals. It's like cutting their wings off.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I never experienced seizures and I've been sober for a while. There are a lot of misconceptions out there, I think this is one of them. While I don't recommend quitting cold turkey, it's better to quit than to carry on with your addiction.
  14. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Yeah, the seizures bit happens in a specific subset of alcoholism, usually those who are more sensitive towards it and/or are really addicted to alcohol. I always suggest gradually decreasing the amount to reduce the negative effects and other potential complications. Still, the earlier you start, the better.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

Some have failed to avoid stressful moments thus leading to their drinking behavior. Stress can be a major cause why others resolve to drinking heavily. Others have been unable to avoid their friends who drink daily. Availability of alcohol and idleness also contribute to drinking.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, seizures are probably part of withdrawals due to quitting alcohol, but this should not be a deterrent for them to stop drinking. If one of my loved ones is scared of having seizures, but determined to change his/her ways for the better, I think I would really try my best to encourage, and motivate him/her, and tell that person that these symptoms are just part of recovery, but sobriety will be worth it in the end.
  17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I have found that trying to help people that have wrong ideas about stop drinking is hard, but also that it depends also in the age of the people.

If they are young, they think nothing is going to happen so drinking may last forever, hence refusing to get help.

However if they are near or in senior age, they believe it's not worth stopping for a series of reasons that makes even harder any help, much more than if you try to make a young addicted person to understand.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That was my case - I was in my 20's when I realized my drinking was a problem but it took me a while to come to terms with it, for very much the reasons you mention - you think you're pretty invincible at that age, and I think I was reckless with drinking for a while because I just didn't consider the consequences of it.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I doubt everyone has seizures when they quit drinking. I am imagining it depends on the depth of the addiction, and how long they have been drinking. Some people who have drinking problems...are not as physically dependent on others for sure. I just think that symptoms vary widely for people when they quit...and they should not be given the information that it is the same for everyone.
  20. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

If hardcore alcoholic folks that drink a bunch of liquor on a daily/ hourly basis stopped drinking abruptly; yes they could absolutely have some sort of seizers. Yet folks that drink a few beers a few times a week that abruptly stopped drinking would ever suffer a seizer from going completely cold turkey. This is my opinion and like eyes most folks have more than one.