An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rebellion

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Rainman, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some kids opt to start using drugs because they see it as an act of rebellion against authority [including their parents']. It's a way to prove to their parents they can be independent, unfortunately, by making the wrong choices.

What's the best way to help a kid who holds such beliefs?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Oh, the irony. They claim to be independent but actually rely on drugs in order to feel happy, good, and not experience horrible pain and cravings. If they don't use them for a certain period of time, they will get violent, tired, or whatever the symptoms may be. It's pretty stupid.

I don't know if the kids will change their beliefs after one tells them this, teenagers are pretty stupid and glorify everything that is illegal. But at least after growing up they will realize the mistake of not listening to this advice.
    deanokat and Rainman like this.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

In my experience it's best for young teens to hear it from an equal. But, for kids big rebellion being scared straight works best. Show them the reality of their decisions.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I think this is a huge part of a lot of teenage drug use! I'm not a parent myself but I don't envy those who have to deal with this. It's a tricky one to figure out as it depends on the child's motivations. Sometimes it seems like the parents just don't have enough 'authority' over the child to actually control them in any manner.

I think building a large amount of respect with the child from a young age would help. Although I'm not sure what you can do once those hormones hit! Giving a teenager a little bit of freedom, without giving them too much seems to be important too.
  5. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

You can't do too much. The more you forbid them to try something, the more they will do it the minute you leave them unsupervised.

The best way to prevent children from doing drugs is through education. Sure, they will try something at some point, but they need to know that it's harmful and that they shouldn't continue doing it. For instance, I had smoked for 2 months, but realized that I don't really like to smoke, so I quit, just like my parents told me to do.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Some also do it to get the attention of their parents which they think do not mind them or do not love them. I think making that person feel loved and cared especially from their parents can help them get rid of the addiction. Knowing the real reasons behind the addiction will help figure out the possible help or approach.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Teen are usually rebellious, it's as if rebellion is written in their bloods. What parents need to understand sometimes is that it is not totally their child's choice. Peer pressure pays a major role in what our kids do today. So I think teaching them at an early age about how to resist peer pressure can be quite helpful later in life.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I agree peer pressure and rebelling go hand in hand. There is a lot of pressure being a teenager and trying to find yourself. They need to learn at a young age to be confident in themselves and who they are. Children that are confident are less likely to be followers.
  9. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Kids will always be rebellious, and that's something to work around. You need to give them space and freedom, but at the same time, be firm and set boundaries. They will break out rebellious in various ways, but hopefully the damage can be minimized, so that it doesn't get to substance abuse and other traps.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, I think in order for teenagers not to rebel against their parents, there should always be good, and open communication between the parents, and the children.