An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rebound Anxiety with Xanax?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by romananthonysmama, Jan 17, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Hi everyone. I know someone who gets treated for severe anxiety with Xanax. The thing is, they're starting to become even MORE anxious than before overtime. I've heard that Xanax can cause rebound anxiety, so it becomes a vicious cycle. You're nervous, so you take the Xanax, but then the rebound anxiety kicks in worse after it wears off, so you have to take it again. Do you think benzos are actually more harmful than helpful with anxiety disorders?
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Helpful. It depends entirely on the chemical composition of each individual's brain. You must not make generalistic statements when it comes to things like this; benzos do serve their purpose properly. It's up to the "mentality" and "addictive-ness" of each person. If they will abuse and overuse or feel a need like that, they probably don't need that specific medication. That forms a dependency. The right chemical (and right drug, in this case) will make them feel more natural and more responsive then this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Benzos can be really helpful if they are used correctly. What isn't helpful though, is to use these drugs to treat anxiety without making the effort to discover what is causing the anxiety in the first place. I have heard the term "rebound anxiety" being used before and once this starts happening, it's probably time to start looking at other solutions to the problem before dependency takes hold.
    romananthonysmama likes this.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Miss Bishi is 100% correct. Look at other solutions, talk to a doctor - get a result that is MEANT for you, not something you know can help you. Those "Helping hands" will often times addict you further or set you on a very destructive pathway. The doctors know what they're talking about - they went to school seven to eight years longer then the rest of us.
  5. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I am confused at how I made a generalization? I was just asking in order to become more informed to help my family member. It is the same concept of things like Adderall. Maybe some find them beneficial, but they can also be awfully harmful. My loved one has been taking this as prescribed for years upon years. Never did they abuse it. If you are on a benzo for years, you automatically develop a dependency and a tolerance for it, that's a given. It doesn't mean that it does not serve it's propose, but there is a dependency. It's the same concept of why you cannot stop anti-depressants or pain medication cold turkey even if you're taking it correctly - The chemical dependency and build up can cause extremely harmful side effects when just stopping.