An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Recording drunk behaviour

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Belovedad, May 12, 2016.

1. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I have recently been recording a relative of mine when he gets drunk (which is too common). He is often embarrassed and unaware of his actions during his drunken state. This has been my personal experience which I have been doing for three months now. I had 22 recordings in the first month, 17 recordings in the second month and 14 recordings last month. So far this month, I have 4. These are all the times I have gotten the chance to record him. I see a drop in his drinking tendency as he does not like the way he behaves in the recordings and is putting out effort to stop. Do you guys think that showing a person exactly what they are doing and how they are affecting others when they are drunk will have an impact on their future with alcohol?
    Donnchadh likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think that sometimes people genuinely don't know how out of hand their drinking has become. I think oftentimes we start with a drink here and there, which turns into drinking basically every night of the week, and that becomes a lifestyle. I think that it's definitely possible that by showing someone actual data about when they're drinking could in fact help them to realize that they're really drinking a significant portion of the time.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I would talk to the person first. Tell them about your concerns. Talk to them in a loving, caring way, without anger. If that doesn't work, then I would consider telling them that you've made a few recordings and ask them if they'd like to see them. I wouldn't mention that you have 50+. That may just make them think you're focusing way too much on them. If you get to a point where the person will watch the recordings, I think they could have some influence on their behavior. But I think getting them to watch them might be a tricky thing.
  4. Acooper79

Acooper79 Member

I don't know each person may react differently to that. Do they see it as helpful or just a rude intrusion on them. I know I was a little tipsy and was recording my own video and when I listened to it the next day I was shocked at how slow I was speaking. I wasn't at the point of slurring words but I was in slow motion serious and I usually yap my trap like an old lady gossiping at the bingo table lol
  5. gloriavitori

gloriavitori Member

I don't get messy drunk anymore but I used to about ten years ago so it used to be an issue for us. I didn't eat enough and drank too much. . No excuse, I over did it.