An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Recovery Group Behind The Church

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by JonMark, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

There's a church that my mom frequents where a childhood friend of hers preaches. Maybe a few times a week, they have a group get-together where people bring food and brew coffee to sit and talk about their problems. A lot of these guys are former alcoholics, for the most part.

Sometimes when I and a few other people think about that group, most of what I see are flaws. The falling out and separation, where another group was spun off and the gossip that prevailed over the help to recovery. One of the flaws was also -- as I expected, that there would be donations or the hat would be passed around, as if Sundays and Wednesdays weren't enough?

But the point to this is that, any group that is able to get together to help each other out, is very much a simple and primal thing. Getting together and working things out. So, the process of recovery, shouldn't be bogged down with insurance costs and other things, unless you're looking to have a nice place to live, cause really, you're just paying for the place.

People need to want to be engaged with other people in order for a group like that to thrive. It's a complete contrast from being strung out and wanting to be left alone.