An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Recovery via The Lord

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by JonnyMacdonald, May 20, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I always tell my friends the best recovery is the one laid out by God.
    It is free! You can pick yourself up a bible anywhere for next to nothing.
    You can stop in at you local church for free and be around good people.
    Please do not discount the Lords wish for you to be well. It is all laid out for you, just open your heart and mind to His way and you can be saved (and save some money too!)
    As well, many churches have free programs that can help you. All you have to do is ask your local church. They can give you the support you need.
    Did you go to church when you where young? Well I am sure the leaders of that church remember you, and they are one of the few people you can go to in this world that will still welcome you no matter what you have done.
    remnant likes this.
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I am from a Christian background and try to attend church as often as I can. Let me add that I have tremendous respect for all the faiths and believe there is tremendous truth and wisdom in all religions. I will even go as far as saying, that I even understand and can appreciate atheists and their viewpoints.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let me continue. I believe God exists and that a whole hierarchy of archangels, angels, human souls, animal souls, demons, devils and other beings exist in various metaphysical planes that vibrate at different frequencies. For this reason we cannot see them, anymore we can see television or radio frequencies.

When we pray, and our focus is on the Lord. We are essentially attempting to tap into a realm of a higher frequency range. While we many not always be successful, as our connection to the higher realms are clouded by our own emotional, spiritual and mental condition at that given point. Often times we find ourselves feeling a little better after prayer, as we've slightly attuned ourselves to the heavenly realms.

And the same is true for people, birds of a feather flock together. We will attract and be attracted to people in our lives that resonate with us. For this reason alone, I've never tried to convert anyone to Christianity. I simply know that the laws of the universe, and those of this physical plane will allow only certain outcomes to occur for each living being.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

What Damien said above reflects in much my religious background and standpoint when it comes to bring God into my life, and never try to convert others to Christianity because believing is a very personal choice people do from their oen inner beliefs.

Personally I was truly Christian until age 14 or so, later I began to explore other religious and metaphysical views. Today I consider myself and eclectic believer that has taken from all of those creeds what adjusts better to my convictions for good. I do believe in a supreme being call it God or else. To me is God, but also a supreme force of the universe.

However when it comes to recovery from and addiction, believe in something or someone may be determining to find the strength needed to quit drinking, smoking, doing drugs, etc. It's up to each individual determine in whom to believe in.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

@MyDigitalpoint I agree with everything you say. It's best not to be dogmatic and take an eclectic view when it comes to religion. The road to recovery is a difficult one, everyone is motivated differently in how or if they will recover. Belief in a higher power certainly benefits us, as we focus beyond the scope of our personal being. Will this higher power respond in our time of need? I believe there is always a response but we must be willing to accept it.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

One of the primary pillars of the 12 step program is the belief in a high power. I hate the idea of "selling" religion. Mormons and Witnesses have kind of given us a bad name. However I never shy away from talking about the Lord. I feel it is our duty to share our passion and devotion with others who may be receptive. It was important to me when someone came into my life that cared enough to talk to me about religion which started me on the road to recovery. You never know what plan God has for you to help bring Him into the lives of those who may need them.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I know the mention of God is one of the 12 steps recovering program and there is no reason to feel shy accepting this step as one's own reality check, only that many people get stuck in the middle exactly when they move on to this particular step.

All of us human beings have to believe in something, is part of our nature, but and addict may not always accept God as the supreme power, or will question why being his love and mercy so incommensurate, he simply forgot about this person fallen in disgrace.

This why Damien is right, the less dogmatic this religious-influenced topic is used in the recovery process, might be a better solution when it comes to skeptical addicted people.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

For some people the mere word "God" creates a strong negative reaction for various reasons. Some were "force-fed" religion and religious traditions from an early age, and they associate it with rules and prohibitions. So, for these folks, who are not exactly a minority, God, churches, Christianity, or any type of religion isn't going to help very much.
    A more universal spiritual approach might be in order.
  8. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

A 12 step program and Christianity is not contradictory. AA refers to a higher power which you can choose, so if the Lord works for you then a 12 step program does not an issue with it. Technically speaking all of the steps in a 12 step program are optional, but it is highly advised that you follow them.

If Christianity helps you, then a 12 step program is about what works, not technicalities.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  9. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I have a Christian background, and yes, I do think Bible believing folks can ground their recovery in the Bible. What makes me uncomfortable is when this arrangement isn't working out and people don't seek out other supplementary help in addition to their faith.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm not Christian but I can certainly see how the Church would be a conducive environment to recovery. There are so many different "flavors" though so whilst it's certainly true that no church cares about who you are and what you did, different people will suit different branches of Christianity, particularly if they are more liberal-minded. So do a little research, if you feel up to it, and try and determine where might be best for you.
  11. ella

ella Member

I do believe in His power. I got a recovered loved ones because we ran to Him forhealing. I am just blessed to have support From the ministry. At first he doesn't want to believe. I never forced him to believe into something he doesnt want to. But the day came when he surrendered his life to the higher power. And to this day he all cleaned up and sober.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

As someone who believes in Him, I'd like to agree. However, as someone who's well aware of how diverse this planet is, what you're saying may sound dogmatic to other people's ears. There are agnostics and atheists everywhere who may not believe in Him but are not bad people anyway. The thing is, recovery only sets in when you truly believe that He can save you. If you have doubts, it'll be twice as hard. Some would even give up half way through.
  13. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Amen. That is a great thing that we have through our lord Jesus. His beauty satisfies us that it gives us enough power to overcome our destructive addictions. We want to strive to hold unto Christ because he is the life that we can go to, pray to and have. He is a free gift for all, anyone who thirsts may come and drink freely from the waters of life. He also gives us hope beyond the grave that because he lives, we also shall live. He died for humanity so that they may be redeemed. The fact that the lord Jesus Christ died for us and in our place, we don't have to die spiritually but we will live through Christ because he is the greatest sacrifice ever made for human beings. I plea with anyone to come to know the lord Jesus Christ, pick up a bible and read it. The truth shall set you free.
    A better me and JonnyMacdonald like this.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Only those who are ready and are committed to overcoming their addictions can do it if they also have faith that God will help them.

There are preachers who've confessed that they are addicts to drugs or sex but no matter how hard they pray, nothing happens. It's not that they lack faith. When it comes to doing away with vices, no one [not even the Higher Power] does it for you. The fight is yours but you get all the support you need and the promise of better things if you overcome. So yes, believing in God can help but it's your love for him that should compel you to give up everything that displeases Him.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

Amen brother. A proper path starts with YOU, not God. You need to walk the walk before you pray the prayers. It hurts me every time I see these news articles about a church leader misbehaving, because I think it can drive people to mistrust religion.
    I would trust a good person who lives by God's words and never goes to church over one of these charlatans anyways. Religion is about your relationship with God and nothing more. I think some abuse the power they see in the church, and don't really believe in His power.
  16. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I absolutely agree. It's very sad because I was also hurt in the church, hurt really badly to the point of depression and hopelessness and complete sadness. I really couldn't manage at all and whenever I hear of them I just want to run and leave because I can't take it.
  17. lissetetiff

lissetetiff Member

Absolutely. Some religion is always good for the soul...and for recovery. Whichever religion one may belong to, these denomination all have encouraging scriptures to keep you going and keep your mind pre-occupied so that you don't start missing that feeling of being high.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think this is great, some churches do offer some programs for people dealing with addiction, the jury is still out whether those programs are very effective or not, but I say it's a great option for those who don't have a lot money and need the help desperately. You can find some really good people at those places, who might or might not know of another place where you could get even more help. You never know. It's good to talk to people, you often find new things out!
  19. rtorir

rtorir Member

You may be determined to recover but at times you may find yourself unhappy, lonely and with no friends. Replacement strategy is the real secret to finding a successful life in sobriety. Sometimes back drugs and alcohol were the source of your excitement. Now that you are no longer in them, you need to find a new passionate source of excitement to make your live enjoyable with new company. Many people find this new and promising passion through church. You can be working with colleagues who are also recovering from alcoholism addiction.

You will find your new ways through a personal path of spiritual growth and development. You will make many sober friends with who you will all walk together in the spiritual path to eternal life.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree to that. One can find peace and be relaxed on places like Churches. You can also join some religious groups where they might have programs for recovering processes. Through praying, one can gain more hope and strength as well.