An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Recovery via The Lord

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by JonnyMacdonald, May 20, 2015.

1. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

I am a Christian and believe that God can cure a person of his or her addiction because He is a God of miracles. What may seem impossible to us is not so for God.
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I am humbled by this discussion. The reason is that the world has become so cynical and secular that spiritual issues are viewed as archaic and religion to be manmade. To get to the point, science has clouded issues to the extent that people don't believe in the supernatural. How many know that there are specific unseen spirit beings attached to the various areas of addiction? How many would accept that they can be cast out? I would recommend anyone to go and browse this article to demistify the spiritual angle of addiction: Alcohol in the Church.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Now I'm not a religious person myself, but I do respect other people's beliefs as much as I do my own. I do think religion is a great thing to the right people though. Sure, it may cause wars and conflict as it does, just look at ISIS, but it does do many great things for the average person. Most importantly, it gives you hope. Hope that there is someone out there caring for you, motivating you to carry on and try your best. Churches are peaceful places that people can feel closer to the God they believe in and perhaps feel more like there is someone up there helping them.

Religion motivates people to do things they would otherwise disregard. That is great. When it comes to drug addiction, I'm sure there are many people that can say that God helped them through their recovery, which is good to know. The Bible is also great because it can be interpreted in different ways. Some see it as an educational tool that tells you what happened when Jesus was around. Whereas others see it as a meaningful representation of life and how you can get through yours, the metaphorical meanings and all that stuff, which is good because it can act as a motivational book.
  4. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

I am a Christian and I can see how a church could be detremental to recovery. The problem is that whereever and whenever humans of any kind are involved there is a chance of drama. Drama can be deadly to recovery.

Does this mean we should not go to church? The answer is not so simple. In our walk through life sometimes the left foot moves forward, sometimes the right. That is why it is so important to pray for wisdom as nothing less than that will give us the answers we need on an everyday basis.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I agree a church with a specific outreach program catered to recovering addicts is a great way to gain support and get help. However, this would work the same everywhere, the person has to want to change. The effort has to be a strong one. Focus on renewing your mind first, because prayer does change things.