An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Reddit has a small group

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by tangiblesalt, Feb 9, 2015.

1. tangiblesalt

tangiblesalt Member

It's an anonymous internet space to talk about alcoholism in general. It is not exactly a support group but it might help you get there. There are many interesting questions and answers on the sub-reddit that you might find useful.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/alcoholism
    4rainydays, jeremy2 and missbishi like this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I just had a look, there's some really interesting stories there. It seems as though there is something of interest for everyone on this sub-reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking is particularly useful for those in recovery.
  3. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It's easier for people to converse anonymously and relate experiences then to introduce yourself and discuss and get to know people. There's no social or awkward "stigma" and you can get and give responses in kind.

I like this type of support group. It's a starter type, one you'd get used to and then jump into a real AA meeting once you feel comfortable.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I do find that people seem to be very candid and honest on reddit. I think it's because of the variety of boards - there is a place for everyone.
  5. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

There are many subreddits to check out. Reddit.com/r/depression , /r/motivation , /r/suicidewatch, etc.
  6. Shimus

As social media expands, so will chances for meditation over various types of mediums. This Reddit is just one fine example of how online has sprouted forth a lot of support groups. I've even joined a fair bit myself, conversing on a lot of different topics across the boards as well. It's always nice to feel like you're reaching out and assisting someone live a better life. Or live life at all.
  7. Tournique

Seriously, reddit has a community for almost anything. You'd be surprised once you dig a bit into it how far you can go with topics and find people with similar interests.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I just viewed the site and it has tons of important tips for alcoholics and those facing struggle in this area. It's a real eye opener to those of us affected by this disease and the ultimate winner will be us who are in constant search for a way out.
  9. Shimus

Plenty of good material indeed. Like I said I never imagined such indepth posts.
  10. Tournique

It's amazing to see how a small community developed to be much more, eventually being a support group.
  11. starbaby

starbaby Member

Reddit also has a group for quitting marijuana: r/leaves.

It is a super supportive community that is definitely worth checking out if you are struggling with quitting weed.
  12. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

I looked at the link you posted for reddit, it looks like a good resource for information and questions. I wouldn't use it as a main source of support though. thank you for sharing this with us.
  13. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I have a friend who vehemently exclaims that part of his substance withdrawal was due to what he read on reddit, apparently the community is very supportive - very friendly, well, for the most part. I think the internet really helps due to the anonymity is offers, many abusers are generally just afraid of talking about it
  14. Shimus

This entirely. Most people are too afraid to start discussing, to take the first step. But here there are no repercussions; nobody knows your true self; and people COULD be lying but there's really nothing for us/you to gain from lying, so generally we're very social and honest. It's also nice to not have to enter a support group miles away but bring it home.