An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Refusing Prescription Meds

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Gin0710, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

I often refuse to take prescription medications even if the doctor believes they will help me. I have several times been prescribed anti-depressants and after my first pregnancy and a couple of miscarriages I was also prescribed pain medications. I am often hesitant about anti-depressants because I've seen what the various forms of ant-depressants has done to my father. I have this fear of becoming dependent on prescription meds to the point where I can't function with or without them. Is this normal or even safe? Should I trust prescription meds and trust my own self-control that I won't become dependent on them? Are prescription meds easy to become addicted to?

Thank you!
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I am personally against anti-depressants because I don't think it helps people deal with the real issues there. If you don't feel comfortable taking them do not let anyone force it on you. There are many ways to deal with health conditions that do not require drugs. If you have an infection you should take the anti-biotics, but that is an acute issue that will be resolved in days, rather than a long term drug therapy.
  3. Gin0710

I'm good with taking anti-biotics. It's the pain meds and anti-depressants I mostly worry about. I'm not sure what the alternative would be though. Healthier diet, exercise, keeping better company. There could be a variety of ways.
  4. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think you have the right to take, or not take, whatever you want. However, keep in mind, that willpower and self-control will not cure cancer. There are risks involved with every medication, but you need to evaluate the risk vs reward of the situation. If you can deal with the pain, and would rather not risk taking pain medication, that seems like a smart personal choice. If you end up killing you're neighbor and walking around with wearing an "Edgar Suit", because you don't want to get addicted to anti-psychotics (not you, just saying), that seems like not a smart choice.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Getting the right drug (or drug combo) to effectively treat depression might take a lot longer than a patient might realize. My personal experience has been that doctors often downplay this facet. It could potentially take months to get to the right med or the right dose before an individual might feel better or different and on the other hand, it could take just as long for an individual to discover what side effects they will deal with. It's definitely important to ask both the doctor and the pharmacist for potential side effects and what to do once the side effects are being experienced.
  6. Gin0710

It can be tedious. Especially if you're living with someone who is on anti-depressants and switching the meds on them can make them act a little strange. My dad would always have his meds switched around and it's like one month he'd seem like is old, happy self and the next month he'd be completely moody and isolate himself from everyone. Sometimes I don't even know who my dad is anymore.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I totally hate taking medication. Even a aspirin is met with a bit of hesitation. I have always been that way, I just don't like taking it. I suppose I am afraid of a reaction, or how it will make me feel. Once in my system it's no coming out it will just have to wear off. I think doctors give medication way more then they should.
  8. Gin0710

It's funny what you learn to live without when you're pregnant. Because you can't take any prescription meds or even Ibprophen when you're pregnant. Learning alternative ways to deal with common colds and flu is quite challenging but there are alternatives and better ways to do it. Meds aren't the only answer.
  9. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I usually believe that prescript medicines can be addicted. If you are so worried about the anti-depressants, it might be a good idea to refuse taking them
  10. Gin0710

It's one of those things where I would rather be depressed than risk becoming addicted to medications. However, I would like to find alternative ways to treating depression that doesn't involved drugs at all.
  11. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You have to trust yourself and give yourself the benefit of doubt, you can do it as long as you know that you are taking them just for pain and you stop when you do not need them, you should trust yourself.
  12. Gin0710

I just worry about anti-d's because of what I've seen them do to my dad. He's not the same person he was when I was younger. I know it's not all on the meds. I know life has taken a toll on him after being laid off from Boeing. I mean he was so proud of what he did with that company and after being laid off it's like he lost his identity I think. So maybe it's not all the medications. Maybe it's something else, but I think it's what has lead me to not trust meds.
  13. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I am like you in that respect. I often don't take my prescriptions unless I feel like I really need them, I usually even mention this to the doctor. You have the final say on what goes into your body. If you discuss these concerns with your doctor they may ultimately prescribe you something weaker that you feel more comfortable taking.
  14. I am the same way. I prefer to not take prescription meds for a variety of reasons. Other than the liver and kidney damage seen in many patients, the use of the drugs can cause dependency in many cases. If you use them according to the physician's orders (with a limited quantity) you should be able to benefit without the risk of becoming dependent.
  15. terrainna

terrainna Member

I absolutely agree with your suspicions about prescription drugs. Continue what you are doing. Prescription drugs is a very lucrative business and doctors can be quite pushy when it comes to prescribing them. Protect yourself. Most antidepressants haven't even been in the market long enough to really understand their risk.
  16. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I also refuse using SSRIs because I have read so many studies where people get neurodegenerative disorders from taking SSRIs and having a head injury. That means if you take these pills and have a bad fall, you might get ALS or Parkinson's. Yeah that's not going to happen to me!
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a few relatives who have also refused medication for worry of becoming dependent, and I think it's even more applicable for anti depressants. If you read the side effects for some of those medicines they are outrageous and absolutely seem ludicrous in a way that makes me wonder how they are even getting consideration for it in the first place.
  18. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

It's very rare for me to go to the regular doctor and even more rare to have the medicines they prescribe me. I don't believe in that medicine, I think it cures something to harm another.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

There is a documentary that you might want to watch. "making a killing" it is about the pharmaceutical companies. You have the right to refuse to take medications. You have the right to decide what you put in your body. Civil rights and human rights are still important even when you are depressed. Anyone has the right to consciously make decisions about their own well being and body. Anything that is enforced against ones will is a crime and a violation of human and civil rights.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The other one is; you say you can't function with or without the prescription drugs. Well this is the vicious circle. The drugs are made to make a cloud for the problem. A temporary fix that seems like it works. It does, but only to a certain extent. Majority are not in anyway their "true selves" on anti-depressants. The only way to be your true self is through diligence and hard work. Exercise and a healthy diet. Supplement with the vitamins the body is lacking. Vitamin B1 is a mood lifter and an essential to have in the diet. Calcium, D, magnesium, and minerals are all essential. Gluten deters the body from absorbing nutrients properly.
    If you watch Making a Killing as I suggested you will get more of the idea. A person's well being is way more important than money. Big Pharma is interested in profit and if that means people will die from it. This is of no concern to those involved. Detox those drugs out to find how you really are suppose to feel.

Pharmaceutical drugs kill more people than anything else, including street drugs. Look it up if you don't believe.