An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Refusing Prescription Meds

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Gin0710, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I tend to agree. I think they overdo it (with pushing all kinds of medication). They are in such a hurry to label everything and give you a pill for it. It seems like many doctors are more about shuffling as many people as possible through the doors and sending them all on their way with a script. I don't trust it either.

Mental health issues are tricky. Some of those drugs are so terrible yet untreated mental illness is as well. Maybe the OP can find other alternatives.. a good and trusted therapist, a support group, a good support network...
  2. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I personally like to try natural alternatives as much or as long as possible.

The are herbals and homeopathics and vitamin supplements you can try for depression. Acupuncture and stuff like tens or emr units for pain, etc. I take what I have been convinced that I need to keep surviving (and I'm not normal by any stretch, I'm medically a mess) but I also work with my diet and try to get some exercise and sunlight, you know?

I'm not a fan of antidepressants but if I hit acute depression (not just mild chronic sad but want to die depression), I find two people - one psychiatrist to prescribe me a 3-month run of antidepressants and one talk-type counselor like a licensed clinical social worker or psychologist who does not ever prescribe pills. I start the pills with the nice psychiatrist and promise to follow up. Then I go talk to the one who doesn't prescribe pills and believes in talk and behavioral interventions with a holistic approach. I'm in my 30's and i have done this twice, once at 19 and once at 26. Each time was a self-limited 3 months of pills and then as much talking as I needed (6 months each but it could be longer). The pills smoothed out the worst of the internal imbalances and the talking with exercise and natural supplements helped keep me stable once I went off of the pills. Sometimes when you're really deep in, the natural stuff isn't enough on its own.

I used acupuncture and physical therapy and tens for my back as long as possible. I still use the physical therapy and try to eat well and get as much exercise as I tolerate but I had to switch to the prescription narcotics because the pain levels just got too high and they were spiking my blood pressure which causes other problems. Now the siren song of the easily accessible narcotics calls to me to take more than I actually NEED to take the edge off. And it's not a situation I would recommend to anyone who can avoid it.
  3. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

I believe each person knows their body than any doctor ever can (as long as they are rational and not addicts). So if you decline a prescription written for whatever reason there is nothing wrong with it. I have declined pain medication several times in my life. And also anti-depressants once after a family member died.
  4. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

Anti-depressants have their place. It has to be at the right time and the reasons have to be right. There might be money to be made by some companies to push certain drugs, there might be particular drugs prescribed because they are the cheaper option for GP's etc. HOWEVER, these should not be the reason for taking them! If someone is assessed as needing or might benefit from anti-depressants, then this should definitely not be denied or avoided as a consideration in treatment. Also, anti-depressants should not be the first line treatment for depression. NICE guidelines indicate that therapeutic intervention, talking therapies should be offered before medication or definitely alongside taking medication. Anti-depressants should not be prescribed as a quick fix or an easy option. Nobody should take anti-depressant medication if they do not want to and you should always have a think about options and whether medication is or is not part of this. Anyone prescribing any medication of any sort should be open, honest and be giving you all the information about what the medication is, how is works, and why it is being prescribed. Informed choice is the best choice. Not really sure why any doctor is prescribing anti-depressants in pregnancy unless this is really indicated!
  5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I don't blame you for thinking this way if you've already had a history with addiction to substances, but sometimes there are illnesses that only medications can help. Like I'm chronically ill so I have to take multiple medications every day, but it's because it's the only way I have any sort of shot at being functional for the day. I also have never be addicted to any sort of substance so I cannot completely relate.