New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Regaining Your Health

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by DancingLady, Nov 11, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Once a person has gotten off drugs or alcohol, what other steps can they take to regain their health? If a person has used a lot of drugs, they will likely have all kinds of junk in their bodies that will be hard to detox and will affect their health in an ongoing way.

Do treatment centers give recovering addicts advice regarding health related detox, such as how to go on a detox diet to help their liver heal?

Anyone have experience with this issue? What has helped you recover your health?
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Since your body probably has a lot of toxins, the liver will be working overtime to cleanse your body. Eating a well balanced diet and keeping your body hydrated will help flush out the toxins.
    Having a regular body exercise program will also facilitate the return to normal functions of the body organs.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey DancingLady,
    This is a great question. I went to a rehab with full medical staff, so they ran several tests - including a full blood panel for every patient. To find out what kind of shape we were in physically. I wound up being in pretty good health considering (this was a nice surprise), but I would assume anyone who wasn't received plenty of advice from the doctor.
  4. DancingLady

That's really great that you were in otherwise good health, I know so many are not so fortunate.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is good to know that one can possibly have a pretty good health generally after taking those substances.
    I think a full check up will be really necessary to someone who is currently recovering or trying to recover to check their overall wellness.
  6. DancingLady

I'd be interested to hear from someone who did go on a detox diet of some sort, whether it was something they learned about online or was recommended by a healthcare practitioner, just to hear how it affected them and if it made a big difference in their overall health.
  7. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

When I stopped smoking MJ, doing E, and everything else. I pretty much went Vegan. Now, it was not due to ethical reasons, or anything like that, but I wanted to "reboot" my system, and get it back where I was going. It was a horrible experience at first. My body was craving not just drugs, but sugar and caffeine, and many other things, but I kept it up. I would exercise when I was craving, I would shower when I was feeling vulnerable, and I was drinking two gallons of water a day as well, to flush out my system, and clean out my liver and kidneys. It was hard work, but eventually I started to feel like a new person. I don't know if that's what your looking for, but it helped me tremendously.
  8. Mallard

Mallard Member

Hey DancingLady!!

I actually got in the best shape of my life after 10 years on methadone. I looked better than I did in high school!! What I did during my 18 month long withdrawal from it, when I was finally coherent enough to do so, was substitute exercise for my fix. It started small, when I was still feeling horrible, by just walking for a few minutes. Maybe walking isn't the right word. I mean I would just put one foot in front of the other and make it to the end of the room. That's all I could do at the time, but I was still moving in an upright position!!

I eventually would walk or ride a bike for up to 3 hours a day and let me tell you, I definitely understand the term "runner's high" now. It was so important for me to get my endorphins going without a drug. And I did. I lost over 90 lbs. The last day I took my final dose of methadone funnily enough fell on Easter and I felt reborn!
  9. DancingLady

Thanks for your comments Mallard and Nick W.

That's really interesting how exercise helped both of you so much. Endorphins are really amazing, I knew they make you feel good, but I did not realize it was so helpful is combating addiction and cravings.
  10. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Wow. Congrats on that effort and discipline. I am healthy but I need some sort of chicken or non-vegetarian dish once a day. I also have started drinking a lot of water. Not 2 gallons but around 10 cups of water a day. Makes me feel refreshed and cleansed. How did showering help you ?
  11. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

You think that a great rehab center would center around total wellness. They help you through detox and then start working on cleansing your body all the way out. I would at least expect to see blood work especially on the liver. Incorporate a great nutrition and workout plan when the treatment is over. Total wellness seems very beneficial to aid in total recovery.
  12. Nick W.

Showering was helpful in a few ways. It helped me keep my mind off of things. It helped me relax and fight fatigue and the feelings of detoxing from refined sugar, flour, and caffeine too. Plus, I mean, it was time consuming and soothing to achy muscles and headaches.
    I started off very slow. I started with just eating a bowl of oatmeal every day for breakfast. Then I eliminated milk & red meat for a while. Finally I went total Vegan, but that's not to say I didn't "cheat" when I was feeling frustrated or having cravings, because there are no rules, expect what you make, so I just went with it... eventually it worked very well. I lost over 100lbs in total.
  13. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I see. Yea showers definitely help me with muscle aches at times. I don't know if I can go vegan heh because I need at least one meal of non vegetarian food otherwise I just don't feel satiated. I know it is all in my mind although I read males need certain enzymes in meat that females don't. That may likely be a crock though. I have however reduced my intake of beef. I hardly eat it anymore. I still am a big fan of pork everything though. I try to eat mainly chicken when I have that craving for meat.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It took me personally a very long time to recover from my drinking, as I was exposed to alcohol even before I was born. My parents are both alcoholics, and my mother didn't stop drinking while she was pregnant with me. Added to those factors, comes the physical and psychological abuse that I sustained during my childhood and adolescence. I suffered from multiple compounded injuries in my spine and had to deal with many other health issues as well, such as impaired organ function.
    I was extremely fortunate to meet a person, or rather an angel, who facilitated a life style for me so that I could recover and regain my health again far away from every day worries. After many years of alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, medical massage and a macrobiotic diet, I am back again. :)
    RoseK likes this.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It all boils down to proper exercise, eating the right kinds of food, having sufficient support from the people who matter and being motivated enough not to go back to a lifestyle riddled by substance abuse and self-destruction. If you factor in all these things, a person who has just recovered may be able to move forward without looking back.
    Nick W. likes this.
  16. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Proper exercise and proper eating. I have a few friends that have finally gotten over their alcoholism, and they were surprised at how food actually tastes (some were also smokers as well). I think that as they see results, they will definitely start feeling better. Start with a walk or lifting light weights, and go from there.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I suppose that treatment centers do give one advise on how best to regain their health after their stint with drugs.Other than the regular detox program, it's essential for one to eat a balanced diet replete with artificial additives and to also engage in any meaningful body exercises. Other forms of exercises to help the mind stay sharp and focused should also be encouraged.
  18. Nick W.

Sleep is an amazing thing. It gives your body a chance to recover and rest. Recovery is hard, and it's hard on a persons sleep schedule too, but getting the proper amount of rest is very beneficial. It also helps regulate your blood pressure, and helps with getting yourself back on a regular schedule.
  19. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

Proper nutrition is vital to regaining your health. Most recovering addicts are far from health conscious. I would start with eating a lot of fruits and veggies. Next I would exercise and use herbs that help the liver such as Dandelion Root, and Milk Thistle.
  20. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

Remember to exercise your body but you also need to keep your mind healthy. There are a lot of posts on this forum about meditation and relaxation as great combatants to addiction and I agree wholeheartedly. Just like you need to keep your body active you also need to engage your mind through meditation. It may seem silly at first but once you give it time to grow on you you'll question how you ever made it without meditation.