An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Regaining Your Health

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by DancingLady, Nov 11, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I had a friend that was recovering. He managed to stop the drugs, but his body was in bad shape. Not only had meth and alcohol severely hurt his liver, he had issues with malnutrition. The guy used to be heavyset, but by the time he got over his addiction he was lighter than me ten-year-old son! He was on vitamins, and was drinking the carb drinks that are normally for athletes trying to bulk up. He looks a little better now, but has a ways to go. Unfortunately, his liver cannot repair itself, so he's probably shortened his life regardless.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

3. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

Well, the most important thing is that he's focused on becoming as healthy as he can given the circumstances with his liver. None of us are guaranteed a long life so as long as you live for the day and don't worry so much about longevity it really helps from being discouraged.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The body can naturally heal itself through proper diet and rest. Stop eating any and all products that have sugar, gluten, wheat, grains, starches, and carbohydrates. Stick to a non GMO diet consisting of high levels of protein (meat) and raw veggies, with very little fruits. Why limited amount of fruits? Because it has fructose in it. Also drink a lot of water, to flush out your system.
  5. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Some type of workout regime is always good for people in recovery. It occupies your mind and exercise releases endorphins so you feel better. If you really develop an enthusiasm for it, then you can really do a hobby that will make your body healthier at the same time. You will lose (or gain) weight and develop endurance and strength. Whether it be cardio or some type of weight lifting I would definitely at least try it out.
  6. downsouth

I really did not like exercise in the beginning. I started out with weight lifting in high school because I was weak and scrawny and wanted to build mass. Hated it. I had to force myself to go to the gym. I hated running also. Later on in life I gained weight (too easily :) ) and finally found something I enjoyed. Swimming. I really love it. So any of you who start exercising and don't like that particular type, there are many other alternatives. I have to swim once a week now otherwise I just don't feel like myself. I would every day if I could.
  7. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that exercise would help a lot. I also think things like meditation and taking long walks would also do you a lot of good. Always have positive thoughts and know that you are living a much better life. I think putting yourself in a positive frame of mind as much as possible is the most powerful thing you can do to regaining your health.
  8. downsouth

I was going to suggest exercise as well. Although you put it in better words than I could and have actually experienced detox. I bet now you feel lethargic and not good if you don't get your daily cycling or walking/jogs in daily right ? Congrats to you sir.
  9. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think health is a very important point to consider. I know a lot of addicts who never go to the doctors because they are scared that they will be told they have to change their ways and they'd rather get sick than having to deal with the reality.

But who quits should be looking toward a positive future; so even if it could be harsh to hear about the possible damage (tough I also am happy to hear that users can retain good health! very positive!), they should look to get a better diet etc. I mean, exercise is in general a good way to keep the mind off of using, and with the extra money from not buying, one should have the extra resources to buy decent food, too. Drinking lots of water to wash out toxins. I think that the bases should be covered, and then some, yeah.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Drugs will stay in the body for decades if you don't detox it out. It will effect you also on many levels physically and psychologically. The best ways to detox through diet is by juicing, raw foods, or just fruits. You can even just set an idea of how much of your diet will be raw. Doesn't necessarily have to be 100% although this is the most effective way.