An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rehab Center Alternatives

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by sytn_27, Nov 25, 2014.

1. sytn_27

sytn_27 Member

In certain places where rehabilitation centers are not available, what is the best way that we can help addicted family members or friends, most especially with alcohol? I have a close friend that drinks a lot every day and does not seem to do other things. We cannot look after her for 24 hours but we can’t find an institution that she can stay in.
  2. jess7077

jess7077 Member

Hi there sytn_27,
    I saw this was posted yesterday with no replies. Sadly, it is hard to help "treat" someone who doesn't think they need help. It is a difficult and long process. I have never dealt with alcoholic issues with family or friends, but my husband was addicted to pain killers. Although it seems different, it is the same. Someone who is dependent on something not good for them. After my husband clearly saw he was pushing away anything and everything he ever cared for, he admitted himself into a 90 rehab program. He still struggles with the urge to use and it has been 3 years! Coming from a person who has never had an issue herself, it's hard to imagine going though that self battle each day. There is probably some sort of issue that is causing all of the drinking. Here are a couple of links to help you out with looking for treatment for your friend. Good luck!

http://www.rehabilitation-center.org/whitepapers/free-treatment/
    http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pro/a/free_rehab.htm
  3. birgebatts

birgebatts Member

Its really hard when you see your loved one's addicted so much, I would suggest you to take her to an Out patient drug treatment denver where she will get a correct direction and it will really help her to come out of it, its my personal experience as it has really helped my father who was totally addicted to it.
  4. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

I would really recommend getting a councilors help or any other professionals help because talking to a stranger can help out a lot. One of my friend had the same experience with their friend and they tried getting professional help and it turned out to help a lot. Many of my family members have also tried this out and to most, it helped them change their lifestyle's.