An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rehab?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Dazzle, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Dazzle

Dazzle Member

A guy im dating (23years old) had a rough past... and is slowly moving into a cocaine addiction. He takes it to be able to relax, because he cant even sleep properly due to recent trauma.
    Been dating him fir 2 months. He needs rehab and profesional help. But i dont know how to help. As to i cant see him anymore (we still talk), and i dont even know where he lives.
    Please advise. How can can he receive help... because he is ruining his life...
    And im the only one that knows.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dazzle... I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's struggles.

There's a really good book out there called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's written specifically for partners/parents of people struggling with addiction and it's full of great information. For example, it teaches you how to communicate with your loved one better, and how to help motivate them to want to change. I think it would really help you. The paperback is only about seven bucks on Amazon and I think it might be the best seven bucks you've spent in a long time. Definitely check it out.

You also have to remember what the Nar-Anon and Al-Anon support groups teach us about a loved one's addiction: You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. Only your boyfriend can make the decision to try and find his way to recovery. No matter how much you wish you could, you can't fix him.

I'm sending you lots of positive energy and will keep you and your boyfriend in my thoughts and prayers.
  3. Dazzle

Dazzle Member

I have bought the book right away, will spend this evening reading it until i finish! Thank You so much for Your help!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

You are very welcome, @Dazzle. Let me know what you think of the book.