An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rehabilitation program by the government?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by 003, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

How would you lookup the rehabilitation program by the government? Since it's funded by the government, it's supposed to be more intensive because the government has the machinery because they could make laws and they have money, in short the government has power to really offer the best and most effective rehabilitation program as compared with the private. But as it's turning out to be anywhere in the world, when it's a governmental service from the government, the services are backwards relative to that of the private. And that those who are poor are left untreated because of the low quality services that the government offers.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

The Government monitoring even further about us, and offering rehab? I think one won't come without the other, but for the REALLY bad addicts with little to no hope of recovery and a life of co-dependency ahead of, I'd say let the Government take over those ones. The ones in privately-ran sectors should be for the average joe who got down on his luck.
  3. johnny

johnny Member

It would be very beneficial if the government had a program like that. I mean think all of the hundreds of billions that the US wastes every year in military spending. If you took a minuscule fraction of it and designed a good program then it could do a lot of good.
    Shimus likes this.
  4. Shimus

Yeah, I agree John. Like funding kids education. Like paying people proper salaries and not this 7.25 per/hour minimum wage we get here, when everyone else is like 9+ - just saying the government doesn't prioritize nearly the right way, but they never will because they cater to the people who elected them into their offices (Senate/house/president) and the little folks (us) get looked over and taxed. That's just how it's been.

I just think it should be a mandated thing. If we're mandated to have health care, then we should have facilities made everywhere to handle the increase in demand of physicians. Not only that, it would create jobs while they were being built, maintained and ran. So it's a double win.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Problem when it comes to look for help at state funded or federal funded programs is the lengthy application and approval process, which is determined by availability in each case.

This means that while it's possible to have a rehab treatment funded by the government, there are no guarantees this help will be enough to cover the demand for this service.
  6. Shimus

Or that they even cover the entire demand, as well. I know a lot of people who get "help" but it's only around 1/3 the total treatment cost as well. So even if you do get approved, sometimes the help you waited for isn't what it should be. Sometimes it is; I won't lie. But I've had more negative experiences with friends and family applying for help than positive ones so I guess that can cause a bit of bias.
  7. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I don't really think highly of it at all, I just think it could be as useless as any other program because they might not know as much as each struggling person knows. I never needed any of these programs to do with anything, eventhough I didn't actually struggle with an actual physical substance, but it's different and I would still say there are better ways.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

The government already has a very intensive treatment program... It's called jail. I'm only half joking because I feel like instead of trying to fix our country's drug problems, the government would rather lock people up who commit crimes as an expression of the real issue... A drug epidemic.
  9. Shimus

That is very true, Kjones. I never looked at it that way too. If they would just handle the proper criminals the right way and let the lesser offenders (paraphernalia/possession) have lighter terms perhaps the Jail system wouldn't be so clogged up.
  10. sunnysocrates

sunnysocrates Member

Here in the Uk, most of our rehabilitation services are from the NHS, but from my own experience I had quite a bit of a wait, after being refereed to numerous services. I agree that the government uses the jail system to treat the epidemic. It's a flawed way of dealing with it as most addicts who end up in jail, are most likely to end up re offending anyway. Some compassion and more investment in support, would better combat the problem.
  11. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's right. It should be solved and it is sad.