An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Relapse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pstrong1969, Sep 18, 2015.

1. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I was at an AA meeting today, I go about everyday. The topic was brought up of Relapse. There was a gentleman there that had recently relapsed and was coming back to start over. There was also a woman there who was sober 22 months from alcohol but had recently had a back operation and was given pain medicine, fairly strong and probably a narcotic, she didnt specify. She had abused them:took more than prescribed. Her Big question was had she lost her 22 months free from alcohol or should she continue with the same sobriety date as she was coming up on 2 years. AA has a token system for periods of sobriety. What does everyone think about this? I suffered the same setback 40 days ago but i took a beginners token because i felt it was the right thing to do. Integrity and Honesty is important in the AA program as well as for me personally. I had almost 5 months.
  2. SamBo_LamBo

SamBo_LamBo Member

Don't be too hard on yourself. It can be hard to stay on a path of recovery, but your heart seems to be in the right place if you are reaching out to us for your issues. Alcohol in general is a tough one because of it being legal and the social stigma behind it. I'd say you both are doing the right thing by going back. Don't give up!
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I really believe that there is no such thing as a hopeless case. As long as someone is willing and determined to change for the better, there is a possibility that he/she will succeed in recovery. It is totally fine to fall down and relapse along your journey, but don't stay at the bottom forever. Learn to stand up again and give it another shot.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It doesn't matter how many times you relapse, as long as you can get straight back on that wagon. Things are never hopeless if you have the desire to quit.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most people don't beat addictions the first time they try do it. They relapse. Again. And again. And again. But each time they get up and fight. Each setback is a lesson. They learn something which they can use to their advantage the next time. Relapsing isn't the end. Get up, keep fighting and I'm sure you'll win in the end.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think you did the right thing, i'd have done the same and work my way up all over again. After all you are doing this for yourself, you want to get better, you must be honest with yourself otherwise you'd be just tricking yourself. What is the point in that? Don't feel bad about it, rest assured knowing you did the right thing, may this start be a new one, a stronger one :) By the way, how are your legs going? Have you consulted a doctor to help you come off those meds you told us about in the other thread?
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I'd say she should do what her heart tells her is right.
    Maybe keeping with the original date will help her, maybe the realization of the relapse will. It's hard to say, no one can determine what's right for someone else.
    The details are not terribly important, what's important is staying sober!
  8. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Well i relapsed again after 40 days. Not on my drug of choice though. Just Pills. One time thing but not by choice. I wanted more today but i couldnt find any. Im a little angry, somewhat ashamed, but otherwise not affected. Nothing bad happened. Guess thats why Im not to upset. Im an addict been using 30 yrs. and im not really trippin. Theres a problem. More or less thinking out loud now.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm also of the opinion that it doesn't matter how many times you relapse, as long as you want to quit then you still can.

Recovering from an addiction is hard, and you will relapse. It's how you handle it that makes the difference. A lot of people will feel guilty and beat themselves up over it but as long as you still want to quit then you have to turn them feelings around and try and use the slip as extra motivation to carry on.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Recovery is a journey. There will be bumps along the way, but they don't define us. How we react to the bumps is what defines us. No one should be ashamed or embarrassed for slipping up. You just have to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and get back on the road to recovery. We are human, and we make mistakes.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The setbacks only matter if you give up. As long as you pick yourself up and keep trying you'll succeed. A relapse isn't really a set back it's sign that your trying or else you wouldn't notice your were doing it. Just keep trying until you don't relapse anymore. It can be done.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion