An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Religion and Recovery

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Janie, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

Yes i do , I am a Christian and i feel relieved. I feel always comfortable through the loving arms of the Lord God ALmighty. In church also, i feel the presence of the Lord and the way He protects me. I feel the love of my congregation and i feel so alive and i am feeling the recover faster.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I am not a religious person. But I do see an upside to religion in helping with the recovery process. Anything that can give a person joy and a group of people that will inspire you to do better, is a good thing.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well people need something to believe in. Something to follow. Whatever works best and makes sense to you. Whether it is God's divine assistance or your own ability. It sort of takes it out of one's own hands by saying that God is doing it for me, but we all know that you have to actually physically do this yourself. Belief that He is helping you can give a boost. That a divine power has control over your life but essentially depending on the person this can drag things out. I think that if religion and God is the only way for a person to wake up. The only concept out of that which actually works is to believe that you are a child of God. You have that same power within you. It is you and only you that changes your life. If you want to believe that it is only done "through" Him, than ok..but essentially the one that does the whole thing is you basically. It makes me think of the expression "God helps those who help themselves." Quite ironic if you think about it really. So who is actually helping? No one. You are doing it yourself. Other things fall into place and people see the difference. Good things come. It all fits together.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Becoming religious is very helpful if you are trying to recover from mental disease or addiction. Faith healing has a great power. Belief in God stops you from becoming bad. If you are a believer, there will be check and balance.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I find believing in God and having a relationship with him helpful. Still ultimately depends on the person. Many people feel like it gives them sufficient motivation to change for the better, while it's a different case for other people. Perhaps if your religion can help you recover, then carry on. However, if you feel constrained and would rather seek other methods, then do so by all means. Whatever floats your boat, as long as the method of recovery works for you, then go for it.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

For me, I do believe in a Supreme Being, one that is above all us. I am a Catholic and believes in my religion's teachings. I think believing in Him has helped me in my recovery as well. Although I don't just believe in Him, I also couple it with action and my own willpower. I think that's the key though, there has to be something from our part as well.

Because as much as we believe in God, if we don't act morally or act humanely, then we cannot really fulfil what we're supposed to do. It's just like that with addictions as well, believe in God or other religious beings but don't forget to help yourself as well. Because in the end, believing that you can do it is certainly what's going to matter. No matter how much you believe in a Supreme Being, if you don't take responsibility for your actions, you will go nowhere.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm not particularly religious myself - but I do believe that religious beliefs are very helpful for some people in recovery. The way I look at it is another level of the support network. People derive their support from a range of sources and I think religious beliefs are just one other way of having support.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Whatever kind of religion you had and if you believe in God everything is impossible if you had that strong faith in Him and your beliefs are surely ways to help you to recover. But of course you have to believe and trust yourself that you can do it and God is just there to guide and support you in your determination to move on and change your life for the better.
  9. What kind of person are you? Religious? Spiritual? It all depends on the person honestly. I know for myself that religion is and will always be a big part of my life. It's helped me and answered many of my questions before. Though I keep an open mind and understand those who struggle with the concept of Religion.