An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Remembering to Inspire

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by ExpertAdvice, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

In all our life's journey, we sometimes get "roughed up", tossed and turned by our awful circumstances, and there are some parts or experiences in our lives where we wouldn't hope for anyone else to have to go through what we've gone through.

Well, believe it or not, there's almost bound to be someone who has already been through what we have, is going through it right now, is leading a lifestyle that is likely to lead them down that path to experiencing what we've been through, or is just in need of some hope.

Would you be the person to inspire or be inspired by that person?

I know that sometimes, it sounds like a lot to ask, because our lives are still stressful, still filled with concerns, deadlines and stress!

But try it, even just once a week at first...and see the rewarding feeling that you get each time. It's like you're dumping bits and pieces of your load as you go along, inspiring people, and whereas your situation might not change, you become stronger, and better able to bear what it is that is unique to you.

Just remember to inspire someone today. You were put on this earth for a reason, and now is the time for you to make the decision that your life is gonna count!

Love and blessings.

inspire.jpg
  2. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Love this.! Just as St. Francis said in prayer it is better to give than receive, and so it must be with inspiring others in the same light. If we can take a little time out of a knowingly busy schedule to relate and connect with others who are experiencing strife or struggle who knows how many lives can be touched and hopefully changed for the better, and in doing so enrich our own lives by sharing that hope.
    ExpertAdvice and Joseph like this.
  3. 003

003 Community Champion

I would really rather inspire other people, than be inspired. But this, is enough for me to be inspired. I want to help other people, but of course, I know that I have to help myself first, so at this time, I need to be inspired first, as a source of my strength. Later on, once that I'm fine, I promise to be an inspiration to other people. I will make it as my vocation.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally love your post. Very interesting read. :) And yes, I would love to be inspired and to inspire. We should not just be the one asking help from other people, we should also try to give back and be of help to them. It is always fulfilling to know that you have done something good.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Very true. No man is an island, so we should support each other. I actually love it when people ask me for advice, since I feel better when I help them with their concerns.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  6. camiilevines

camiilevines Member

i would prefer both
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Wonderful post. Yes indeed! We are all born into this world for unique reasons. We might not know it but in our own unique ways, we are inspiring someone. having the ability to inspire is a great thing and the feeling is also incomparable. let us find our own lights and shine them on someone who needs them today. :)
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I really like the quote. :)
    It was like saying that what are the purposes of being here living. One is to be an inspiration for others in order to inspire more and more as well.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. Many people don't even realize that this is what life is about. They are so caught up in telling other people what to do. They are not even interested or don't even know how to inspire someone. I've had many people in my life that inspired me a great deal of the time. They were wonderful to be around. I really notice the difference when someone is not that way. I do my best to inspire other people; because it is just so much more appealing for people to be this way.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I have always loved the idea of inspiring someone. My problem was always that I confused it with impressing people, and there’s a difference between the two things. That urge has led me to do some great things, I won’t deny that, but it’s also steered me wrong sometimes. I’m still learning the difference.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I want to think that I inspire others and I do, but still I feel like I can do more. I lost a young man recently who with many physical limitations tried to live a normal live. With no fingers and prosthetic legs, he was always offering to do or help out with everything.

Almost in an instant, he left us and I keep asking myself if I did enough to inspire a young and talented young one whose desire was to fit in, be appreciated and be loved.

Your quote is so timely. " To be inspired is great, to inspire is incredible". Now is the time as tomorrow is not promised.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Thank you all for you very kind responses! I am inspired just by reading them, and I'm sure that each of you is an inspiration to at least one person, perhaps without even knowing it!
    We really do have to inspire as many positively as we can, because you never know how close someone is coming/has come to just wanting to "end it all".
    You could be the inspiration for that person's ultimate "turn-around". I think it's worth it for us all to try to be that inspiration...
    And even in those instances where it doesn't appear as though you've had any success in getting through with your inspiration, or coming across any concrete change, just know that your genuine and purposed effort was enough...and that the rest is left up to the Creator to be worked out.

Love and peace to you all!
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That idea of inspiration is a great one - a lot of the time we inspire people without even knowing it.

I've had people tell me that they didn't realize their relationship with alcohol was out of control until I spoke to them about it - that's a good feeling, to know that I've helped someone on the road to recovery, or at the minimum getting them to address the reasons behind why they drink and the volumes they do drink.

I think one of the biggest ways to inspire is just to lead an authentic life. You don't have to be perfect (I'm certainly not!) but being open and honest with others about what you've been through and struggled with in life helps to keep things real!