An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Reoly

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by mrknowitallQ, Oct 4, 2015.

1. mrknowitallQ

mrknowitallQ Member

I still need some kind words every now and again but the main reason is because I want to let people still suffering know that anythings possible. I am a certified behavioral health technician and honestly I wouldn't be able to do if it weren't for my past. I don't think I would've wanted to go to school for that if it werent for my past. Because i wouldn't have fully understood addiction. It may sound crazy but I regret nothing from my past because without my past I have no present and without my present I have no future. So thank you very much, your kind words are greatly appreciated.
    deanokat and dyanmarie25 like this.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's so true! Our past, though not that great, can really turn us around for the better and often leads us to get into fields that help other people! I'm glad you have the opportunity to help others.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Indeed @mrknowitallQ. We learn from our people's experiences and our own past. Hopefully, we can use these experiences to better prepare ourselves for the future. After all, the future can be quite vague at times.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well that's good to hear. I think you just need to learn from your past as much as you can and use your learning for the betterment of your present and future. There's no point denying the past because it's still part of who you are. No matter how painful or chaotic your life used to be, it's never impossible for you to move forward and look back on it with a smile.
  5. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Its funny that you say that you still need some kind words now and then. Just the other day I saw a worker from a women's transition house I have had to access more than once and it was her your post reminded me of. She has had experience with many of the things that the women who need to go to the transition house have and then some. She has also dealt with an addicted husband so she has had drug and alcohol experience as well.
    She is a unique and charming woman. Of all the talented people at the transition home, she was the one who made a difference for me. And not just me, countless women have connected with this loving and lovely woman. If you ever have doubts about you life now or in the past, just stop and think of all the lives you have touched with the message you are able to bring to the work you do. You are an invaluable member of a team that does a very hard and poorly rewarded job. Not only have you helped the people you meet directly, you have helped their families. The lady I know told me once that my telling her just how much her support meant to me, was the best thing she'd heard in a long while. She was going through a period of self doubt where she often questioned her value as a support worker. Sometimes other staff members found her approach inappropriate because she really got down to the women's level while those who had not lived a similar lies could not. I let her know that it was that very trait that made her so special to so many. She thanked me and I could tell that she was deeply moved by what I had said and it gave her a new energy to continue her work.
    You too are a gift to the helping profession. Please know that the empathy and knowledge you bring to your work is the best thing you could possibly give to people who need help. Keep up the good fight.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

The mistakes we had in our life already happened in the past..That is why we should already move forward to the present and start a new life and stop worrying about our future. Let the lessons we had learned from our mistakes in the past be our guide and inspiration in our new life to come. @mrknowitallQ I am glad that you had became a better person right now because of what you had learned from your past mistakes.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more with you, @mrknowitallQ. Life's experiences are the best lessons we would ever learn. And yes, we have made mistakes and ruined things in the past, but those struggles we've went through are the reason why we're here today. Learn from the past, live in the moment, and look forward to the future.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@mrknowitallQ... Thanks for sharing with us. So many people who have struggled with addiction in their past make the decision to go into the addiction/recovery field to help others. I think that's a wonderful thing, because it means people will have professionals who have "been there and done that" available to help them. I think it really makes a difference if someone who is trying to find recovery is helped by someone who knows exactly what they are going through. A big congratulations to you for finding recovery, and for choosing to help others who want to do the same.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, a lot of bad experiences and mistakes always teach us something and at the end of the day, bad times make us more mature and it's also a way to grow up as persons. And it's curious because a lot of people have a completely negative perception about bad experiences and I think that a fundamental part in life is to find something good in any situation, especially if it's a bad one.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. harold

harold Community Champion

Experiences teach us in life more than words. I will not like to see people pass through bitter experiences in life just to learn, but I think that people who understand situations and can teach others well are people who who have gone through experiences. I just hope that people can learn to listen to people who have been there, so that they do not get there. Many people survive bad experiences and become stronger, unfortunately many do not. This is the reason why bitter experiences are not meant for everyone. I would rather prefer that many people listen to people who have seen it all and have turn around to do the right thing, and learn from their testimonies. Unfortunately, human curiosity will keep leading many people into difficult situations.
    deanokat likes this.