An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Replacement therapy

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joethefirst, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Is there such a thing for marijuana, I know that this is one of the methods to stop smoking tobacco but is there something similar for marijuana?
    I personally have never read anything about it.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Healthy eating and exercise is a great replacement. Eating healthy and exercising can really provide a natural high. Eating more fruits and vegetables than anything else will make you feel great. This won't be just like marijuana, but it can help you deal with not having it a lot. Marijuana is a plant, it's no surprise that plant based foods can prevent an addiction to it.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don't get your question? Marijuana doesn't induce a physical addiction, unlike the nicotine in a cigarette? I guess the old fashioned will power would do? I mean that is if the person really want to quit and doesn't use marijuana as some sort of psychological or emotional crutch.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There was a study conducted in Australia to determine whether there was anything that could be used to treat withdrawals when battling a marijuana addiction. They found out that Sativex could get the job done. More needs to be done though to create more products that can be used for cannaboid replacement therapy because there's going to be a spike in marijuana addictions.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That is not entirely true, there are people that develop an addiction for marijuana. It's similar to tobacco or alcohol, not everyone develops an addiction but there are always those that do.
  6. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I know many people that quitted marijuana without replacing it with anything else, unlike tobacco which everyone seem to instinctively replace it with something else and acquire a whole new different addiction, but healthier of course.
  7. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

For most people, I do not think that they need a replacement for marijuana to quit. However, googling this question came up with some "legal buds" that can be smoked to create the same relaxed feeling without the impaired judgement factor. I am not sure that this is really any better for you since you are still inhaling smoke, but for those that still want the relaxation I guess it would be an alternative for them.
  8. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I don't think there is any replacement for pot. I suppose there are replacements for the high feeling, but those things would require other drugs, which will just be worse for you. I've heard about people getting the runner's high, but not sure how that compares to a pot high.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Not that I know off. Not something prescribed by a doctor anyways. It's going to be healthy diet and lots of exercise. Something to occupy your time and keep you busy. If you sit and reflect, then you will want to use. Not a good situation to be in.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

If there is, I've never heard of it. Anyway, I don't think that using another substance to get rid of another is not healthy at all. The best thing to do is veer away from it and do some other activity to get your mind off it.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is kind of funny. I don't think so. Makes me think of the candy cigarettes or the ones with bubble gum inside. They do have those vapor cigarettes with some kind of herbal liquid in them. I guess they are "good" for you. There is always something. O'douls for marijuana. Might be a good invention. Tastes like it and smells like it. Maybe a spray spritzer with the scent of mari j. Lol I don't know. A replacement for marijuana. I guess we can come up with all kinds of things.