An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Replacing an addiction with another?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Kyler, Feb 28, 2016.

1. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

I concur with you plenarily that some people just supersede their drug use with something else. In hindsight, I would verbalize about 2 years into my recuperation, I descried this being done with meetings and NA, which is a component of why I decided to leave the program. I would sit and heedfully aurally perceive people share day in and day out, and after a while I realized their incipient drug was going to multiple meetings a day and telling the same stories again and again. That is not to verbalize that all members of the program are like this, there were only a handful I witnessed deporting like this. NA is the most immensely colossal thing that kept me clean my first year and I ken I would never have prospered in instauration had it not been for the substructure I got in the program. But there were people there who superseded their drug use an abundance of times a day with meetings an abundance of times a day.
  2. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Yeah, a compulsive need to attend meetings doesn't seem very healthy to me either, but I don't really know. There seems to be a lot of people that are smoking and drinking coffee and going to multiple meetings. Caffeine and nicotine seem to be a replacement for some of these folks.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Displacement activity does work to some degree, but it then becomes a question of whether you're curing something - such as the addiction- or whether you're storing up trouble for the future. I'm not entirely sure what the answer to that is, really. I suppose you judge it on a case-by-case basis.
  4. obliviousme

obliviousme Member

I believe that's possible. But if i have a family member who experience this kind of situation, I'd take video games addiction any day than drug/drinking addiction. Video games are indeed addicting but one is not in danger of overdose or any lethal side effects except maybe obesity from excessive sit down sessions and eating greasy food but it's subjective.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

Video game addiction isn't proven to exist, but I see what you are saying. People don't seem to understand that addiction has a pretty clear cut clinical definition and that colloquial attitudes or definitions of addiction are not very accurate.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I mean as long as the new addiciton doesn't really harm you or any one else is it that bad? I mean it is best to do everything in moderation, but some people just have things they do to excess. Say you substitute chewing gum for cigarettes, yeah maybe it isn't ideal, but it is much less harmful, so why not?
  7. JohnBeaulieu

There is no such thing as an addiction that isn't harmful. You aren't addicted to chewing gum unless it has nicotine in it. Doing something in excess doesn't make it an addiction.